Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cardinals Have Built In Their Own Excuse

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cardinals Have Built In Their Own Excuse

for when they lose the division. By losing to all these crappy teams (3 in a row to the Pirates and Nationals, hehe, including losing a 2-run 9th inning lead last night).

"The Reds didn't beat us...we beat ourselves. We beat them up head-to-head, but we shot ourselves in the foot against the weaker teams."

I can hear it already.

Re: Cardinals Have Built In Their Own Excuse

They can say that and I'm sure they will....but I believe losing to such inferior teams is a much greater flaw than losing to contending teams. It is a huge character flaw IMO if a team cant get up for games against teams they should beat.

That excuse won't compute when the Reds rough 'em up in Sept.

The Smiling Side AintlifeGrande's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burton View Post
    That excuse won't compute when the Reds rough 'em up in Sept.

It would really pour salt in the would if we roll into St.Louis with the division already locked up.

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!

Quote Originally Posted by AintlifeGrande View Post
    It would really pour salt in the would if we roll into St.Louis with the division already locked up.
    Not really...The Reds have been the better team this year. If they are way up, they've earned it. Making excuses is for losers that don't matter. Hence why the Cubs are so good at it after a century. If the Reds win the division, they earned it by being the better team.

Unpossible

The Cardinals won't be eliminated from the division race in the first weekend of September. A few games back? Probably, but no division is secured in the first week of September.

Johnny Cueto Fan

Let them cry. At home. In October.

I don't see it as an excuse but a true statement. The Cardinals are "beating themselves" if by most accounts they are not playing up to their capabilities. They certainly have the talent that says they should be consistently beating the likes of the Pirates, Nationals, Cubs, Astros, etc. That they aren't doesn't say more for the competition as it does for their own inability to meet expectations.

takealeake

Quote Originally Posted by gmt View Post
    I don't see it as an excuse but a true statement. The Cardinals are "beating themselves" if by most accounts they are not playing up to their capabilities. They certainly have the talent that says they should be consistently beating the likes of the Pirates, Nationals, Cubs, Astros, etc. That they aren't doesn't say more for the competition as it does for their own inability to meet expectations.
    Um, if you're losing to beat teams more than you're beating good teams, it shows you're not good. Saying they "should" have the talent is ridiculous. It's not they "should", because if they DID have the talent they WOULD be beating these teams. It's the fact they don't have the talent, and their record signifies that. They have 3 good pitchers and 3 good positions players, and that's it. Their excuses are null and void.

Quote Originally Posted by gmt View Post
    Nothing shows a greater lack of character than to not perform up to one's abilities.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

If they're making excuses come October, I'll be fine with that.

We aren't making any excuses. This team is one of the worst fundamentally teams LaRussa has played in awhile.

Cool post here from a Cards Fan on one of their boards

As a longtime Cardinals fan, I can appreciate and understand your passion and enthusiasm for this team, however.....you're maybe more than a 'tad' bit off-base, pun intended. First of all, I don't believe-nor will anyone convince me-that our pitching is to blame. Yea-our pen has blown some games, our rotation could have pitched better @ times, but contrary to your opinion-pitching is STILL our strength. All that being said.....there could be 100 games left in the season and it might not matter. This team is BEGGING to be swept by the Stros. You call the Reds pathetic? Wow.....I don't particularly care for the Reds, Brewers, OR the Cubs.....but the Reds are ANYTHING but pathetic. The Reds play QUALITY baseball, and I applaude them for what they've done since we swept them in their own park......I sure wish I could say the same for our team. We don't play as a team, the Reds do.....we have won pretty much all our games on talent alone.....imagine how good we might be if we had Cincy's 'teammanship' -if that is even a word. They don't have a 'bonified ace', much less 2(or 3)......they just ALL play for 1 common goal, to win ballgames. This Cardinal team, I personally believe, has SERIOUS internal problems. No team effort, lackadaisical attitudes, just 'heartless' baseball game in and game out. Maybe this team can just 'flip a switch' and turn things around, but I have a hard time seeing it happen-at least this year anyways. Look, the Reds are going to win the division because thats what they are striving for.....I have NO CLUE what our team strives for, maybe a paycheck-who knows. But this Reds team is for real......I still believe we have a better squad, I just don't think this team cares enough to prove it, pretty sad

Turn Off Ads?