Turn Off Ads?

Thread: This is what we wanted, right?

This is what we wanted, right?

I mean, they're not perfect, but they're pretty good.

It's August 26th and the Reds have a 3.5 game lead on the Cradinals with 35 games to play.

They play hard, they fight back, they get timely hits, they bounce back from tough losses and they seem to genuinely care about winning.

This season has been fun but sometimes you just got to sit back and soak it all in. Every August since 2001 when the Reds were almost always a lock to be at least 8 games out I would say I just want too see what it feels like to contend. I must say, it feels great. On paper the Reds are built to contend for probably the next 3-5 years at least. But you just never know. Enjoy it Reds fans, and lets hope they finish the job!
    Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/ShaneHorning

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: This is what we wanted, right?

Even if they don't, it beats the last 10 years. I'm happy even if some of the moves of the manager drive me nuts and the pitching staff does things that seem unintelligent. I'll take it and no matter what happens, it makes me forget Bob Boone, Dave Miley, and Jerry Narron along with Wayne Krivsky. Thank God they are gone along with Patterson, AGon, Edwin, Fogg, David Ross, and the older Mike Stanton. It's a new day and the future looks pretty good. Thank you Walt Jocketty and the rest of the professional staff that BCast assembled.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatShane View Post
    I mean, they're not perfect, but they're pretty good.

It's August 26th and the Reds have a 3.5 game lead on the Cradinals with 35 games to play.

They play hard, they fight back, they get timely hits, they bounce back from tough losses and they seem to genuinely care about winning.

This season has been fun but sometimes you just got to sit back and soak it all in. Every August since 2001 when the Reds were almost always a lock to be at least 8 games out I would say I just want too see what it feels like to contend. I must say, it feels great. On paper the Reds are built to contend for probably the next 3-5 years at least. But you just never know. Enjoy it Reds fans, and lets hope they finish the job!
    Its exactly what we wanted and I, for one, am enjoying the heck out of it. Just because some of bring up flaws to be addressed or moves that we'd like to see made, doesn't mean we aren't loving it. We just want to see the team enhance its chances of sealing the deal and bettering its chances in the post-season.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Just because some of bring up flaws to be addressed or moves that we'd like to see made, doesn't mean we aren't loving it. We just want to see the team enhance its chances of sealing the deal and bettering its chances in the post-season.
    Amen. As one of the recent "downers" on the board, I just want to say that criticism also is my way of showing love for this team. It's why I'm a RedsZoner to begin with. Go Reds!
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

What a season!

Going back to last year (the Reds finished 27-13 in their last 40 games), the Reds have now won 100 of their last 167 games (100-67).

Over the last 162?

95-67

Thank you, Scott Rolen. I was wrong. Forgive me.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

I love this group, they're not a group of All-Stars but as you said they're very good when the sum of the parts are combined.

That said, is it okay to get greedy and expect postseason play now this October instead of just competing? That's where I find myself.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Most enjoyable season since 1999.

Thank you, Walt, Cast, and Dusty.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    I love this group, they're not a group of All-Stars
    Uhh did you watch the All Star game this year? The infield was pretty well represented by the Cincinnati Reds.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Formerly Farsighted Fan sabometrics's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    Uhh did you watch the All Star game this year? The infield was pretty well represented by the Cincinnati Reds.
    Coming off the bench. Not really the most heralded players of the season is what he was trying to say I guess, even if we did have our fair share of All-Stars on the team.
    "He looked like a surfer kid from SoCal," manager Dusty Baker says. "He didn't say much, but you could tell he was cool."

This isn't meant to start a big debate but is only an observation. It is hard to imagine just how good this team would be right now if Josh Hamilton was in left field. (how about Dunn in left and Hamilton in center?) I was watching highlights from the Rangers last night on MLB and they were talking about him being the best player in the AL. Votto might be the best in the NL. The offense would have been scary.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    This isn't meant to start a big debate but is only an observation. It is hard to imagine just how good this team would be right now if Josh Hamilton was in left field. (how about Dunn in left and Hamilton in center?) I was watching highlights from the Rangers last night on MLB and they were talking about him being the best player in the AL. Votto might be the best in the NL. The offense would have been scary.
    Hamilton's not a CF anymore. He can't handle the beating on his body. I'd love to see him in left, though

Turn Off Ads?