Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Say it ain't so.. Harang might start on 8/31

Say it ain't so.. Harang might start on 8/31

John Fay reports that Baker said Harang might start next Tuesday against Milwaukee. I know it's Milwaukee, but still. I can't believe he is going to let him start.

I realize Leake is done and Volquez has been awful, but I would much rather pitch Maloney, who's 4-3 with a 3.16 ERA in his last 10 starts.

In two starts at AAA, Harang is 0-2 with a whopping 9.00 ERA.

Here's the link
    http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...other-updates/
    Votto for MVP

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Say it ain't so.. Harang might start on 8/31

Let's have faith in our opening day starter shall we?

But Dusty needs to have Lecure rested just in case.

Harang won a lot of games for some bad Reds teams, so now that we're chasing a division title he deserves a chance to start a game. But I can see both sides of the debate. I don't like that he'll be starting against the Brew Crew, a team that hits a lot of dingers.

Doesn't bother me. Harang is serviceable. He generally goes relatively deep and gives the team a chance to win. Not bad if he's the fifth best starter.

Given the beating our staff took in San Fran, I think the Reds brass realizes the significance of keeping the pitchers fresh. By giving Harang a start they give some guys another day of rest while giving him a chance to prove himself. Granted, he was terrible in Louisville but if healthy he can get hitters out.

Doesn't make me feel good about the rotation, and for 1 start, ok, but if he gets rocked I hope they don't keep rolling him out there.

they said today there trying to change the pitching order for cards series. so my question is this for good or 1 game thing?

Given the beating our staff took in San Fran, I think the Reds brass realizes the significance of keeping the pitchers fresh.
    There is a fine line between keeping guys fresh and keeping them sharp.

I hypothesize that part of Leake's melt down late this season is not only hitting a wall, but also because he was not getting regular work. It is hard to keep guys sharp if they aren't taking the ball every 5 or 6 days. Volquez's arm is certainly fresh, but as we have witnessed, he's not sharp.

We have fresh arms - Bailey, Harang and Volquez - but we need some sharp arms.

It was refreshing to see Cueto pitch tonight. He was dealing tonight. His fastball look crisp and his sinker was tight. Maybe the one missed start let him rest his arm a little bit. Brantley was mentioning that he was working on his mechanics after his last disastrous start.

At any rate, management has to balance fresh with sharp. Let's hope Harang comes back fresh and sharp.

I have more confidence in Harang than Volquez, Leake....maybe even Wood at this point.

I really don't see the problem in giving Harang one shot. He would be replacing Volquez, he of the 6.00 plus era since he came up over a month ago.

If he gets lit up then at least you gave him a chance, it's a classy thing to do for someone who held the team's pitching (as bad as it still was) at least somewhat together for years.

Those 05-08 years were my college years. Me and my friends used to go to games on Harang days because even if the Reds didn't win, at least they'd be in it.

I know a lot of people here will think it's stupid, but I don't. He's earned one shot at playing for something with the Reds. Let's face it, after this year he's gone.

Besides, how awesome would it be if he had one more month of good baseball left in his arm, and he just let it all fly.

With all that said, if Volquez was pitching lights out of course you don't start him. But, he's not. And maybe harang has another couple quality starts in him.

Harang was not as bad as the last two years before he hit the DL this year. I think he will be ok. We all know he is no longer a # 1 starter, but he would be a decent 4 or 5 right now. Volquez looks terrible and Leake is done. Give him one shot and if it doesn't pan out send him to the pen.

I'm not usually one to just give a veteran something just because of the past (I hated Griffey still hitting 3rd past 07).

But, if your options are Volquez, LeCure, Maloney or Harang. I really don't see how anyone could be that upset about giving Harang one shot considering what he's meant to this team.

Harang being the fifth starter doesnt bother me... although i think that you have to give volquez one more chance against a bad cubs team.. lets face it.. the giants were red hot and beat the crap out of everyone.. just one of those things... now lets see volquez against the cubs and if he gets beat up, take him out of the rotation

I would have to agree with some of the previous posters. Harang deserves a start. And I am not a big believer in Aaron Harang at this point in his career.
    A summer watching a bad Reds' team, is still a pretty good summer.

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    Harang won a lot of games for some bad Reds teams, so now that we're chasing a division title he deserves a chance to start a game.
    and if they miss the playoffs by one game will you still feel he deserved a chance?

Turn Off Ads?