Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: In Praise of the Reds Farm System's Impact on 2010 (draft and develop in full effect)

In Praise of the Reds Farm System's Impact on 2010 (draft and develop in full effect)

NOT a minor league thread, but a rumination on the impact that the Reds have received at the major league level from guys who were drafted and developed solely by this organization. For a non-large market club, this is just crucial. Off the top of my head, the Reds have been helped at one time or another this year by the following purely drafted and developed organization players (players who I don't believe ever spent a day in another organization):

Bruce
    Stubbs
    Heisey
    Dickerson
    Votto
    Valaika
    Janish
    Francisco
    Hanigan
    Cueto
    Wood
    Leake
    Bailey
    J. Smith
    Ondrusek
    Fisher
    del Rosario
    Lecure

I may have missed someone. And perhaps one of that list was drafted elsewhere, but I don't think so.

At any rate, safe to say, this team has been buoyed by the flow of significant major league talent of varying levels to shore up players brought in.

And that's with Chapman about ready to be brought up and added to the list.

I am ecstatic to see the minors bringing forth legitimate major league talent again, and it is simply delightful on all levels for a fan of this organization.

PS: This is not meant to turn into a WK v. Walt thread, or even O'Brien, as each had a hand in drafting some of that list. More an acknoweldgment of how important the minors have been to the success this team has had in 2010 and a hope that what is in place keeps pumping out help. It's simply fantastic that they can draw on a Valakia to help fill in. There was a long time that simply was not something that we could count on as fans.
    Last edited by membengal; 08-27-2010 at 09:16 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: In Praise of the Reds Farm System's Impact on 2010 (draft and develop in full eff

Bailey
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Re: In Praise of the Reds Farm System's Impact on 2010 (draft and develop in full eff

Much more productive since, oh, about mid-2003 or so, huh?

You can add Bailey to the list

And Brandon Phillips was acquired by trading Jeff Stevens, one of the Reds draft picks.

I think this is very important to emphasize, as I have in some of the Minor league threads regarding the draft. One thing we can say about all three of the past FO's--O'B, WK, WJ--they have made the crucial first couple of draft rounds productive, getting major league caliber players. This builds organizational depth and makes all kinds of other things possible.

Dickerson
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Duh, Bailey. Will add. And Dickerson. That's the danger of "off the top of my head"...

Thanks.
    Last edited by membengal; 08-27-2010 at 08:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    Much more productive since, oh, about mid-2003 or so, huh?

You can add Bailey to the list

And Brandon Phillips was acquired by trading Jeff Stevens, one of the Reds draft picks.
    Yeah, I didn't want to drift to that level of analysis, but was focusing narrowly on just guys who have come to the team having never been elsewhere.

It is a flow of help to the big league club I have not seen since the mid-80s to late-80s, frankly.

I wonder how the Reds percentage of homegrown players compares against other teams?
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

Carlos Fisher is another, and i believe Enerio del Rosario is an organizational guy. But im not sure on him

Word on both those, Orenda, thanks, I will add.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

It's funny how dismissive many people were of the need to build from the bottom up back when Dan O'Brien took over and started the rebuilding movement.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Of course it's still too early to tell how much value the reds captured in that 2005 draft, but already there have been 7 players out of their first 13 picks that have appeared in the major leagues.

For the reds:

Jay Bruce (1)
    Travis Wood (2)
    Adam Rosales (12)
    Carlos Fisher (11)
    Logan Ondrusek (13)
    Sam Lecure (4)

Appearing for another organization:

Jeff Stevens (6) - for b. phillips

still with a chance?:

Brandon Roberts (7) - for J. Castro

*not to make this about any previous/current GM, but that year jumps out just looking at draft results.
    Last edited by Orenda; 08-27-2010 at 09:41 PM.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    It's funny how dismissive many people were of the need to build from the bottom up back when Dan O'Brien took over and started the rebuilding movement.
    People felt we could compete with a few solid additions. A half dozen years (nearly) of stank and a few more that were ok but not overly so and people forgot just how much of an organization it takes to win consistently.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    There is an article in the new ESPN the magazine about left handed hitters hitting left handed pitchers. Joey Votto was a feature in the article. He gives credit to the system that Dan Obrien put in where the players had to take a strike. Which is a complete 180, from what the party line had been in regards to Votto's development. Votto said he hated it at the time, but it helped him develop an approach to hitting lefties.

I like that it seems that these young guys that are coming along now, seem more relaxed, and ready to contribute. I also like that some of these guys are now repeating levels, and not being rushed through the system with a rubber stamp. Valaika repeating at AAA has definitely helped him. I imagine something similar will happen for Todd Frazier next season. I doesn't hurt for players to get extra seasoning at AAA. In the past, they had to fill gaping holes on the 25 man roster before they were probably ready, to even be bit players.

At the end of the day it comes back to the commitment to devote monetary resources to player scouting, acquisition, and development. Bob C, and even Carl Lindner deserve credit for that.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Orenda View Post
    Of course it's still too early to tell how much value the reds captured in that 2005 draft, but already there have been 7 players out of their first 13 picks that have appeared in the major leagues.

For the reds:

Jay Bruce (1)
    Travis Wood (2)
    Adam Rosales (12)
    Carlos Fisher (11)
    Logan Ondrusek (13)
    Sam Lecure (4)

Appearing for another organization:

Jeff Stevens (6) - for b. phillips

still with a chance?:

Brandon Roberts (7) - for J. Castro

*not to make this about any previous/current GM, but that year jumps out just looking at draft results.
    One good thing about DanO was his regime took some really high upside types early in the draft. Bruce is gonna be a pivotal player for this team and so too could Bailey.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?