Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The San Diego Padres are a Monster

The San Diego Padres are a Monster

The rotation is good, but it is not even remotely that. It is the bullpen. Adams and Gregerson both throw in the high 90's with knuckle ball movement on their offspeed pitches. Heath Bell probably has the best "stuff" of any closer in either league right now, and the triumverate probably comprises the best bully in major league baseball since the fabled "nasty boys". I wouldn't buy their offense at The Salvation Army Store, aside from Adrian Gonzalez. To be fair, the rotation is well above average with Latos, Garland and Richard chewing up quality innings like a sprinter eschews rocks and garbage. Running into this team is like hitting a brick wall at 60 mph. But, historically, it has some work to do. No other team we see in the here and now profiles in a similar way to these Padres. They have found a way to exploit the vast dimensions of their ballpark and win in a very economic way. To get to the World Series, National League teams are going to have to learn to outsmart this organization in a way that they have not yet perfected, and it is not going to be easy.
    Last edited by Phhhl; 08-28-2010 at 02:13 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Formerly Farsighted Fan sabometrics's Avatar

Re: The San Diego Padres are a Monster

The Padres have perfected the art of shortening a game to 6 innings if their starter can get there (and they've been quite good at that). Really impressive. I'd say they're reminiscent of how the Twins have excelled in the area, but they've really taken it to the next level.
    "He looked like a surfer kid from SoCal," manager Dusty Baker says. "He didn't say much, but you could tell he was cool."

I kept waiting for them to fall, for the Giants, Dodgers, and Rockies to pull ahead and see the Padres rather anemic offense come back to bite them.

And yet going into September they're 26 games over .500, 6 ahead in the division. So what do I know.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Nice jinx!

Seriously, though, they're a good team but they're very beatable. You just have to get to them early or you won't get to them at all.

As mentioned, their bullpen is tremendously good. Their starting pitching, though, is partially benefactors to a pitcher's park and good defense. Latos is really good, but the rest of the staff is pedestrian. They're consistent, get deep into games and keep their team in the game. That's been a great recipe. However, the rotation as a group is hittable and since their offense leaves a lot to be desired, I don't think they're terribly intimidating.

Again... it comes down to getting on them in the first 6 innings. Their bullpen is pretty remarkable.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    As mentioned, their bullpen is tremendously good. Their starting pitching, though, is partially benefactors to a pitcher's park and good defense. Latos is really good, but the rest of the staff is pedestrian. They're consistent, get deep into games and keep their team in the game. That's been a great recipe. However, the rotation as a group is hittable and since their offense leaves a lot to be desired, I don't think they're terribly intimidating.
    To that point, Latos is the only pitcher in their rotation that has a sub-4.00 ERA on the road.

Padres (and the Reds too, for that matter) would be hard pressed to be considered favorites in a short-series against a team like Philly or St. Louis -- both of whom can throw hammer starters on back-to-back nights (Halladay/Hamels or Wainwright/Carpenter -- pick your poison).
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

And the Reds still have to play a few games with the Padres in San Diego.

It would be our luck if the Pirates played the Cardinals that weekend in St. Louis.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I kept waiting for them to fall, for the Giants, Dodgers, and Rockies to pull ahead and see the Padres rather anemic offense come back to bite them.

And yet going into September they're 26 games over .500, 6 ahead in the division. So what do I know.
    The monster has now lost 9 straight games.

"So Fla Red"

The Redszone jinx apparently extends all the way to the Pacific. Seeing a club like the Padres suddenly lose 10 in a row means I don't think postseason until the champagne is popped. Bad timing for the Reds as the Rockies are rollin' as per usual in September.

It really is stunning. 10 straight.

That's what makes me worried about getting too ahead of ourselves with the Reds and the playoffs. There seems to be a theme the last few years of 1 team either having a monster run or 1 team having an epic collapse. If the Reds happened to have the epic collapse, similar to what San Diego has endured...the Cards easily could win the division.

Hopefully the Reds will be just fine (knock on wood).

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    It really is stunning. 10 straight.

That's what makes me worried about getting too ahead of ourselves with the Reds and the playoffs. There seems to be a theme the last few years of 1 team either having a monster run or 1 team having an epic collapse. If the Reds happened to have the epic collapse, similar to what San Diego has endured...the Cards easily could win the division.

Hopefully the Reds will be just fine (knock on wood).
    The Padres were playing above their heads with that offense and rotation of theirs. After Latos, as was pointed out early in the thread, their rotation is pedestrian. Combine that with a suspect offense and they weren't likely to continue the pace they were on.

The Reds aren't really doing anything unsustainable. They're plugging along slowly but surely, gradually gaining ground. I think both teams are now right where they should be.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

The Padres were playing above their heads with that offense and rotation of theirs. After Latos, as was pointed out early in the thread, their rotation is pedestrian. Combine that with a suspect offense and they weren't likely to continue the pace they were on.

The Reds aren't really doing anything unsustainable. They're plugging along slowly but surely, gradually gaining ground. I think both teams are now right where they should be.
    I don't know about that. The Padres run differential is +31 (102 compared to 71) better than the Giants and the Giants are only back 1 game. Something is off right there. Padres still have a better run differential than the Reds even (albeit by only 3 runs), even after their 10 game losing streak.

Formerly Farsighted Fan sabometrics's Avatar

I had a coworker try to convince me that we didn't have a starter that could be the #2 on any other playoff-contending team. The Pads were the perfect counter to that argument. Their starting pitching has been overachieving all year and it's finally catching up to them. One only wonders how long Latos can keep going at this pace too.
    "He looked like a surfer kid from SoCal," manager Dusty Baker says. "He didn't say much, but you could tell he was cool."

I agree with you on this. Whoah...is this a first? lol The Reds have a good young balanced team so I don't see a collapse in their future. They may not be a team that is built for the playoffs, but I think they will be a tough team to beat in the playoffs.

I haven't bought the Padres all season long. They just don't have the offense to sustain the rate at which they were winning. Outside of Gonzales I just don't buy their offense at all. Its a a nice story and I hope they make the playoffs, but their lead is down to one game over a Giants team that hits better and pitches better than them.

Senor Votto

I really hope the Padres win the Wild Card so the Reds could possibly get them first round

Turn Off Ads?