Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Saturday, August 28, 2010, Minor League Updates

-The Insider-

Re: Saturday, August 28, 2010, Minor League Updates

Mudcats win 4-3, Tabor gets the save

2. Turn Off Ads?

Carolina regains the lead on a wild pitch in the 10th. Chris McMurray scored it after his third hit. Felix Perez also singled in the inning.

Through three, the AZL Reds only have one hit, but lead 2-0. Mugarian has fanned four.

Good come back Carolina!!!! Go Mudcats!

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Alonso in LF tonight. Let the speculation begin !!
    If this is to see if he can play left for the Reds in 2011 I really don't understand why he hasn't played there more this year. I mean you had a whole freaking year to get him work in out there. Why wait till the last few weeks?

The only thing I can think is that there isn't much interest in him at first after shopping him around this year. And Walt doesn't think he can get value for his quality bat, therefore they don't think a trade is likely and are going to try and see if he can play left.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    If this is to see if he can play left for the Reds in 2011 I really don't understand why he hasn't played there more this year. I mean you had a whole freaking year to get him work in out there. Why wait till the last few weeks?

The only thing I can think is that there isn't much interest in him at first after shopping him around this year. And Walt doesn't think he can get value for his quality bat, therefore they don't think a trade is likely and are going to try and see if he can play left.
    I think he had a slight injury earlyer in the season while he was playing LF and he had struggled (most likely due to hammate recovery) early. So maybe they were letting him get healthy and in a zone before working him more in LF? Just my thought ofc
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

If the Reds had to choose between Yonder in september and Juan I wish they would take Yonder.

Maddox added a HR and the AZL Reds lead 4-0 in the sixth. Mugarian is finished: 5 IP, 2 H, 1 BB, 6 K. Very impressive.

Billings wins 3-2. Two hits for Yorman, one for Sliding Billy. Gerson with the win, Daniel Wolford fans the side in the ninth for the save.

Robert Maddox was the 18th-round pick this year, out of Ohio U. He's 3 for 4 with a HR tonight as the AZL Reds try to capture the wildcard spot in their regular-season finale. The Reds lead 5-0 in the eighth. El-Hajj Muhammad has pitched two scoreless innings in relief of Mugarian. The two of them have struck out 10 in their seven innings.

Hamilton stole three more bases tonight, giving him 39 on the season. Yorman went 2-for-3 with another walk, and stole his 10th base.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 08-29-2010 at 12:22 AM.

Joel Ernst pitches the final inning and the AZL Reds win their sixth straight, and their final regular-season game, 5-0 . . . in spite of Torreyes going 0 for 5!! Mugarian, Muhammad and Ernst combined for a 3-hitter, with 13 K.

The AZL Athletics and Royals also won tonight . . . SO . . .

* The Reds are done (for the regular season) at 31-24.

* The Royals and Athletics are 30-25, and they both have games tomorrow. But unless I'm missing something, or the schedule is listed incorrectly, they can't catch the Reds for the wildcard berth.

* The Dodgers are 30-24, and they can tie the Reds if they beat the Royals tomorrow. I assume that would result in a one-game playoff on Monday.

I don't know why the teams don't all play the same number of games. Perhaps it's due to weather cancellations. Or maybe they have planned makeup games that don't show up on the schedule.

At any rate, the scenario above is my best guess. The Reds should be at least in a playoff game for the wildcard spot.

The playoff rounds are one game apiece. The wildcard plays the division winner with the best record (the Giants). And the other two division winners (Rangers and Brewers) play each other. Those winners then play one game for the league championship.
    Last edited by mace; 08-29-2010 at 12:42 AM.

Anybody been following Dayton lately? I was wondering about Henry Rodriguez, he went 3 for 4 with a bb tonight which gives him 11 bb's in 99 abs in August. Considering he only drew 11bb's in his first 401 abs i wonder if something has clicked for him lately or if he is just getting pitched around.

Has Josh Ravin thrown his hat in the ring of being taken in the rule five draft? His numbers in A+ have simply been phenomenal.

Turn Off Ads?