Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Espn says Volquez to Bullpen

Espn says Volquez to Bullpen

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Espn says Volquez to Bullpen

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/

The Reds will send the struggling Volquez to the bullpen to work on mechanical issues, and Travis Wood will move up a day to start Sunday.

Needed to be done. I'll be interested to see how hard he can throw when going just an inning at a time.

What do people think about having Edinson pitch some winter ball? I think he needs some reps but he's not going to get that here while he's so wild and the Reds are in a pennant race. The downside to that is he may get fatigued down the stretch next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    What do people think about having Edinson pitch some winter ball? I think he needs some reps but he's not going to get that here while he's so wild and the Reds are in a pennant race. The downside to that is he may get fatigued down the stretch next year.
    He needs something to redfine his delivery and get a consistent throwing motion.

Next step might be a DL stint for Volkie...

At some point he needs to go somewhere to work on throwing his FB for a strike.
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

Jockstocks Homepage

Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

Every time somebody gets frustrated by Volquez in his first season back from TJ surgery, just click on Liriano's player page on yahoo/espn/cbs/fox/whatever, and see the light at the end of the tunnel.
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

EV to the BP and Leake on the DL.Does this mean that Harang is our 5th starter for the rest of year?
    Last edited by Captain Hook; 08-28-2010 at 06:57 PM.

Walt just confirmed on Reds Live that Volkie is heading to the pen to work on his mechanics
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

Jockstocks Homepage

Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

This, coupled with the return of Harang seems logical to me. It keeps both players eligible for the post season. I expect Volquez will get another chance to start and Harang will get a shot at the pen before the season ends. If either pitches well as a starter, then he might get a shot in the post season. Otherwise, both could be in the pen. The move keeps a lot of options open.

It's the right move...I'm pleased with it.

Quote Originally Posted by REDblooded View Post
    Every time somebody gets frustrated by Volquez in his first season back from TJ surgery, just click on Liriano's player page on yahoo/espn/cbs/fox/whatever, and see the light at the end of the tunnel.
    Indeed.

Liriano has shown better control than Edison Volquez over their ML careers.

EV's career bb/9 - 4.8

FL's career bb/9 -3.3

I don't know if EV is still coming back from his surgery or not, but right now he is getting behind in counts and putting too many men on base via bb's.
    Last edited by Orenda; 08-28-2010 at 10:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Orenda View Post
    Liriano has shown better control than Edison Volquez over their ML careers.

EV's career bb/9 - 4.8

FL's career bb/9 -3.3

I don't know if EV is still coming back from his surgery or not, but right now he is getting behind in counts and putting too many men on base via bb's.
    Liriano also had a 1.56 WHIP and a 5.80 ERA in his first season returning from TJ surgery...

You can dig up career stats all you want, but when the circumstances aren't dictating that we include pre-TJ numbers, they're pretty worthless..
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Liriano also had a 1.56 WHIP and a 5.80 ERA in his first season returning from TJ surgery...

You can dig up career stats all you want, but when the circumstances aren't dictating that we include pre-TJ numbers, they're pretty worthless..
    Fair enough, but how does comparing EV to Francisco Liriano hold any value? There have been guys who have not been as good post TJ surgery, just because Liriano made it back does not guarantee EV will do anything.

My point should have been that Edinson needs to have better command, in his short post tommy john sample he is walking 6.9 batters per 9 innings. Liriano hasn't shown the command issues Volquez is having right now.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar
    How long does this last.. When the Christmas tree gets lit up on Tuesday I think he'll be back in there

Turn Off Ads?