Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Reds will get the big 3 Labor Day weekend

Re: The Reds will get the big 3 Labor Day weekend

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    They'd best be careful, though.

We do have The Cuban Missile.
    Here too, I don't believe it wise to expect a kid just getting off the bus from Louisville to be thrown head first into this situation. I hope the brass are smarter than this. Chapman has enough on his plate when he gets here without this.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Cueto isn't pitching becuase it's not his turn.

The Reds aren't going to hold him back (having to start Volquez, or Maloney etc.) simply to accomodate matchups.

As someone said, this is the time to move up your best starters with off days, not move them back.

The Reds have to win at least one of these three games in St. Louis. By winning one game, the Reds would only lose one game in the standings. I would pitch Arroyo/Bailey/Wood in the series. The Cards have yet to see Wood, Bailey has pitched well against them in his last three starts, and Arroyo has had some good games against them, including a complete game win earlier in the season.

Senor Votto

If the Reds were to sweep the Cards (unlikely but possible) would the magic number drop by 6?

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    If the Reds were to sweep the Cards (unlikely but possible) would the magic number drop by 6?
    yes it would
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

You bet.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    The Reds have to win at least one of these three games in St. Louis. By winning one game, the Reds would only lose one game in the standings. I would pitch Arroyo/Bailey/Wood in the series. The Cards have yet to see Wood, Bailey has pitched well against them in his last three starts, and Arroyo has had some good games against them, including a complete game win earlier in the season.
    I agree with the first part. If the Reds take one game they only lose one in the standings at worst. I get what the Cards are doing in starting their best 3 starters against the Reds but it really front loads the rotation. It has them lead up to and following the Reds series with 2 sub-par pitchers. Sure they outclassed the Reds starting their 3 games series in Cincy but since leaving town with a 1 game lead they have lost 6 games in the standings.

I guess the way I look at it its 3 games out of 162. If the Reds win a game or more it makes this move by LaRussa counter productive.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Yes, it would and that is exactly why the series is so important to the Cards! Each win is worth a whole game in the standings instead of a half game and having to wait to see if the competition wins or loses. I think the Cards fear the Reds now...they know in their hearts the Reds are a better team and they're hoping the young Reds players don't figure it out before this weekend. This team picks each other up...when Votto and Rolen have off days, Bruce or Stubbs or Janish steps up. Even Cairo, Nix, and Heisey are in on it. They all excel at different times. The one thing I haven't seen these guys do is fire on all cylinders. To have all the key players hot at the same time would make this team unstoppable.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

random question generated by this thread.

Situation 1: A pitcher gets hurt throw a pitch, a guy from the bullpen comes in and has as long as he wants to warm up and get ready.

Situation 2: A pitcher gets hurt by a thrown pitch and has to come out of the game for a pinch runner. The next batter is quickly retired for the final out, before the guy in the bullpen can get up and warmed up enough for his typical 8 pitches b/w innings. Would the next pitcher get as many pitches as he needs to warm up, or would he only get 8? I assume the easy way around this, is to get someone up quickly and even if the prior inning ends quickly, the pinch runner goes to the mound while the reliever continues to warm up, then the manager makes a switch at the start of the next frame so he can be sure he's warmed up.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

With Suppan finishing up that Houston series the Cards will be lucky to win one game now. The Reds should have at least a 6 game lead going into the series...it could possibly be as much as 8. The Redbirds are fading fast...a series win for the Reds in St. Louis would be the end of any real threat.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

This is a horrible attitude to have and I would normally yell at people for saying this, but just go in there and don't get swept. Win one and I'll be happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    This is a horrible attitude to have and I would normally yell at people for saying this, but just go in there and don't get swept. Win one and I'll be happy.
    I agree to an extent but the thing is, the Reds have a 6 game lead.If things were the other way around we'd be giving up.There is now good reason to be very confident.

Resident PED Expert

What amazes me is the Reds 6 game lead is the BIGGEST in all of the NL. {eople are still cowering in fear. This isn't any team before this. It's a brand new bag... Heck they are only a .5 game out of home field advantage thought out the playoffs. (Thanks Bud)

Start to look up instead of down...

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    What amazes me is the Reds 6 game lead is the BIGGEST in all of the NL. {eople are still cowering in fear. This isn't any team before this. It's a brand new bag... Heck they are only a .5 game out of home field advantage thought out the playoffs. (Thanks Bud)

Start to look up instead of down...
    Death to the Padres!
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

I wonder if LaRussa will stick to his guns or throw Garcia Wednesday if they are facing a sweep at Houston? It would seem to me if they are 6 or 7 out going into tomorrow's game, that Wednesday becomes a must win for them and it is all moot if they head into the weekend 6-8 games out.

Regardless, come on Wandy, shut down the Cards two nights in a row with soft-tossing lefties.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Turn Off Ads?