Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Triple Crown Trio

Triple Crown Trio

The N.L. hasn't seen a Triple Crown winner since 1937. As the season heads into September there are three legitimate candidates. This is crazy.
    Any of the three get hot in the last month and they could end up making history.

Code:
    PLAYER	        AVE	RBI	HR
    Votto	     .325-2nd	93-2nd	32-2nd
    Pujols	     .320-3rd	95-1st	35-1st
    Gonzalz	     .326-1st	90-3rd	29-4th

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Triple Crown Trio

I wonder if 3 players have ever finished top 3 in all 3 categories in a single season?

The thing that is shocking to me is Gonzalez's home/road splits. He is batting .380 at home but is batting only .267 on the road. I think this will have some effect on his standing for triple crown towards the end of the year. I read a ridiculous article written by a person at ESPN where he said he would take Gonzalez over Pujols and Votto. With Pujols and Votto, at least you get consistent great play for them no matter what ball park they play in.

Imagine Pujols and Votto playing half their games at Coors Field. Barry Bonds "record" would be toast already.

Quote Originally Posted by gmt View Post
    Imagine Pujols and Votto playing half their games at Coors Field. Barry Bonds "record" would be toast already.
    votto plays in a homerun park.

Quote Originally Posted by R_Webb18 View Post
    votto plays in a homerun park.
    There is no "homerun park" like the launching pad at Coors.

True statement.

Coors is 1st in the ML in runs given up, and 3rd in HRs.
    GABP is 8th in runs, 6th in HRs.

Yankee Stadium yields the most, followed by U.S. Cellular.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/parkfactor/_/sort/HRFactor

Although in 2009 GABP was more of a HR park than Coors
    Votto for MVP

Coors is no longer the top home run park since the humidor (GABP gives up more HR's per game). It's about 9th this year in HR/game.

Coors is still a hitters park due to it's dimensions though. Just too much outfield to cover, and the ball still flies more there than most parks.

The thing I see most with Votto (the clear MVP choice) is the HR. he doesnt try to hit HRs. He's trying to get a hit, to drive the ball, if it goes out it goes out. I dont watch the other 2 enough to see what they do, but Votto doesnt seem to try and hit HRs. He just does sometimes. So if he comes up short in a category it will be HRs. But thats fine with me.

Quote Originally Posted by winks View Post
    The thing I see most with Votto (the clear MVP choice) is the HR. he doesnt try to hit HRs. He's trying to get a hit, to drive the ball, if it goes out it goes out. I dont watch the other 2 enough to see what they do, but Votto doesnt seem to try and hit HRs. He just does sometimes. So if he comes up short in a category it will be HRs. But thats fine with me.
    I don't know anything about Gonzales. Pujols doesn't really look to hit hr's. He hits it hard and they go out, mostly as line drives. McGwire was the home run hitters swing. High towering blasts. Look at the batting averages of the sluggers. Generally, high average with HR's means they are good hitters whose batted balls find themselves clearing the fence often.

Quote Originally Posted by winks View Post
    Nah, it's likely Votto is going to be way short in BA.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Let's headhunt Pujols this weekend, and knock him out of the triple crown race.

JUST KIDDING.

Recovering Cubs Fan

I'd love to see Votto do it. But Pujols is the better player, and if anyone does it, it probably will be him.
    FIRE DUSTY Never mind. The man is clearly a genius.

Quote Originally Posted by Natty Redlocks View Post
    Pujols is the better player
    nah
    Votto for MVP

No one in the NL is even close to the triple crown...

Turn Off Ads?