Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NFL Cuts

NFL Cuts

With the cut of Antonio Bryant, the season of surprise NFL cuts is upon us. Brcause they have a ridiculously low roster number (53) and no DL for a grueling 16 game season, surprise cuts are a part of the game. I thought this article from SI was interesting and this writer thinks Colt McCoy is already in danger of being cut in Cleveland.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201..._lnk3%7C167086

Colt McCoy, the Texas golden boy and college football's all-time winningest quarterback, seems to have avoided the NFL chopping block. Or maybe not.

McCoy's disappointing preseason has led to his name surfacing as one that could fall victim to roster cuts. Browns coach Eric Mangini recently offered an endorsement, sort of, for McCoy. He said the decision has not been made and offensive coordinator Eric Mangini has kept four quarterbacks before. When it comes to NFL roster cuts, though, nothing ever
    I had no idea he was looking that unimpressive. How bad do you have to be to get cut as a third rounder that your team traded up to get?

Any other surprise cuts coming? Let's talk about 'em here...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: NFL Cuts

Dallas cut safety Pat Watkins. Good special teams contributor and backup safety. Not a big name, but based on the number of ex-Cowboys that are currently on the Bengals defense I thought it might be of interest.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Yeah, zero chance they cut McCoy IMO.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Mangini is the HC. Brian Daboll is the OC in Cleveland, Sports Illustrated. McCoy aint going anywhere.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

If he gets cut, then who would be the Real McCoy?

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    Yeah, zero chance they cut McCoy IMO.
    The NFL is about production and projection. It isn't about what you did in college or your career collegian record. Its about what you can do at the next level. If McCoy isn't big enough, doesn't have the arm strength, or doesn't project to be a NFL QB or backup NFL QB I can see the Browns cutting him.

The NFL is all about getting as much talent out of 53 men as possible. With the Browns I can see McCoy a little safer because they don't have the talent up and down the roster that some other teams have.

If Matt Leinart is running the risk of being cut in Arizona, McCoy darn sure better not be over-confident in Cleveland.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    The NFL is about production and projection. It isn't about what you did in college or your career collegian record. Its about what you can do at the next level. If McCoy isn't big enough, doesn't have the arm strength, or doesn't project to be a NFL QB or backup NFL QB I can see the Browns cutting him.

The NFL is all about getting as much talent out of 53 men as possible. With the Browns I can see McCoy a little safer because they don't have the talent up and down the roster that some other teams have.
    If he's being cut for arm strength or size then he never should have been drafted. That sort of legwork should be done before he ever makes your draft board.

They knew he'd be a project...I'm wondering what has surprised Holmgren about him. My guess is he's not grasping the playbook and they don't think he'll fit in as a "pocket passer"

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post

They traded up for him. Took him with a fairly high draft pick. They're not going release him before his rookie season begins. No way do the Browns admit a mistake that big, this early.

They traded up for him. Took him with a fairly high draft pick. They're not going release him before his rookie season begins. No way do the Browns admit a mistake that big, this early.
    The Raiders a couple of years ago cut their 2nd round pick. Stranger things have happened.

I guess what I am thinking is that sometimes things don't work out the way you planned. Maybe Colt isn't back from his National Championship injury. Maybe the Browns overlooked his arm strength and it is coming back to bite them. Maybe as mentioned above he can't grasp the Browns playbook.

Can you really count the Raiders as an example? I'm just sayin, I'll bet the house on him not getting cut. I'll eat the crow if they do. What if he turns it on and shows his potential which is very possible considering they've not even given him a very good chance to play? They won't risk him being a star for another team IMO, especially after spending so many resources on him in the first place.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

If the Browns cut McCoy, that leaves Ratliff as the 3rd QB. Another reason he won't be cut.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Drafting Mccoy in the 3rd round was just pure idiocy in the first place. The kid is no different than any Texas Tech "system" qb. He has a noodle arm and had one option on every route.

Not even mentioning that the talent advantage of his teammates over the defenses he faced was laughable most games. I'm amazed the guy was drafted at all. He doesn't even have one average NFL skill.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Can you really count the Raiders as an example? I'm just sayin, I'll bet the house on him not getting cut. I'll eat the crow if they do. What if he turns it on and shows his potential which is very possible considering they've not even given him a very good chance to play? They won't risk him being a star for another team IMO, especially after spending so many resources on him in the first place.
    Laugh if you want but Oakland is building one heck of a talented team. Now don't get me wrong they have a head scratching draft every couple of years (see Russell and Heyward-Bey) but they have built a team that could contend this season.

Im not saying that Colt is going to get cut, just that it wouldn't surprise me. The NFL doesn't care about college stats and Colt is loaded with them. I don't feel as harsh as Cedric about Colt. I would like to see Colt succeed (although not with the Browns) but for ever undersized Drew Brees that succeeds, there are dozens of undersized QB's who can't cut it.

I know a few maybe even 4-5 years ago now the Steelers cut their 3rd rounder also. I believe it was a WR perhaps from UGA IIRC. But maybe not either just remember he was a 3rd rounder, and they usually do a nice job of drafting, at least back then.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?