Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapman joining the Reds 8/31 Nix to DL Volquez to Dayton

Re: Chapman Up Tomorrow?

Well, he isn't up yet. I know because I just read Chip's signature.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Zero reason to DL Rhodes as September is merely hours away. Literally zero reason.
    Is there any reason not to? If they feel he needs to be disabled, it doesn't change anything at all. It won't change the structure of the pen. It won't change who will be eligible. I don't know that it matters, at this juncture.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Count me as one that thinks that if Rhodes isn't anymore injured then he's been all year he needs to stay in the pen.As it has been mentioned he can be rested with the expanded rosters.I'd say that sending a capable Rhodes to the DL so he can be ready for the playoffs is still getting ahead of ourself a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Is there any reason not to? If they feel he needs to be disabled, it doesn't change anything at all. It won't change the structure of the pen. It won't change who will be eligible. I don't know that it matters, at this juncture.
    If they DL'd Rhodes tommorrow, both Rhodes and the guy they call up would be eligible. Am I mistaken here?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    If they DL'd Rhodes tommorrow, both Rhodes and the guy they call up would be eligible. Am I mistaken here?
    You are not.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Formerly Farsighted Fan sabometrics's Avatar

Just going on the simple fact that Chapman does NOT have to be up before Sept. to make the playoff roster I'm skeptical of this report. I'm thinking he had a source tell him "soon" and he didn't look hard enough to realize the full extent of the Reds' options.

Regardless I'm counting down the hours till I get to see this kid pitch. It's like waiting for Santa. Except Santa is already attending all the recent Reds games. So I guess it's like waiting for ... well I don't know, but I'm excited.
    "He looked like a surfer kid from SoCal," manager Dusty Baker says. "He didn't say much, but you could tell he was cool."

How much rest does Rhodes need? Prior to yesterday he hadn't pitched in 4 days (8/25).
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    It depends on how disabled he is, I guess. If it's a situation where he needs two weeks at a minimum and then he'll be right, then I suppose it wouldn't make a difference. But if this is one of those situations where it's a nagging thing and it's not going to clear up for good until he can get an offseason's worth of rest? Then you're taking him out for 15 days, minimum, when he could pitch, and we're in a pennant race. So I'd lean towards the September virtual version of the DL instead of the actual DL, because then he'd be available if we really needed him.

Also, I don't think it's necessary to put him on the DL so someone else can get a callup and be postseason eligible. Given the pitchers already on the 60-day DL who give us a lot of flexibility in the postseason roster due to the K-Rod loophole, I can't think of a scenario where a pitcher that will be in the organization tomorrow, and we really want on the postseason roster, can't be on it.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

From John Fay:

I'm told no Chapman tonight. #reds

http://twitter.com/johnfayman

Despite a bullpen that is struggling right now, it appears the Reds will wait until Wedneday to call up Chapman. Which means there's a strong chance he'll make his major league debut in St. Louis or Colorado instead of at home.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    It depends on how disabled he is, I guess. If it's a situation where he needs two weeks at a minimum and then he'll be right, then I suppose it wouldn't make a difference. But if this is one of those situations where it's a nagging thing and it's not going to clear up for good until he can get an offseason's worth of rest? Then you're taking him out for 15 days, minimum, when he could pitch, and we're in a pennant race. So I'd lean towards the September virtual version of the DL instead of the actual DL, because then he'd be available if we really needed him.

Also, I don't think it's necessary to put him on the DL so someone else can get a callup and be postseason eligible. Given the pitchers already on the 60-day DL who give us a lot of flexibility in the postseason roster due to the K-Rod loophole, I can't think of a scenario where a pitcher that will be in the organization tomorrow, and we really want on the postseason roster, can't be on it.
    Usually, it's the position players that teams have to work to do something about, because a lot of teams only like to carry 10 pitchers on the division series roster, but nobody wants 15 position players on their 25 man roster on August 31.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

From Fay:

Aroldis Chapman does not have to be called up before Sept. 1 to be eligible for the playoffs. Quite frankly, I cant see why the Reds would not call him up for the Milwaukee series. I would pay to see him pitch to Prince Fielder. But Im told he will not be called up today.
    http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...-and-charpman/

With Rhodes struggling in his last two appearances, and Prince Fielder in town, you would think it would make sense to bring Chapman up for this series.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    With Rhodes struggling in his last two appearances, and Prince Fielder in town, you would think it would make sense to bring Chapman up for this series.
    No worries. Bill Bray is still on the staff.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Which means there's a strong chance he'll make his major league debut in St. Louis or Colorado instead of at home.
    Is there an advantage to having his debut in St. Louis? Setting aside all of the reasons to debut in Cincy, the Cards will have little if any information on him if he makes his debut against them. I would imagine you do more to prepare for a guy if he has just impressed against the Brewers rather than AAA hitters.

I also like this reasoning for delaying his big league arrival. The longer you wait, provided the team wins, the more you put off the league "catching up" to your star.

Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    No worries. Bill Bray is still on the staff.
    Who?
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

Jockstocks Homepage

Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    Is there an advantage to having his debut in St. Louis? Setting aside all of the reasons to debut in Cincy, the Cards will have little if any information on him if he makes his debut against them. I would imagine you do more to prepare for a guy if he has just impressed against the Brewers rather than AAA hitters.

I also like this reasoning for delaying his big league arrival. The longer you wait, provided the team wins, the more you put off the league "catching up" to your star.

Just a thought.
    I'm kinda hoping that if he really has harnessed his stuff and has his fastball sitting at 102 touching 105 and a slider at 90-92, it won't matter what the book is on him...

Turn Off Ads?