Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Praise for Dusty Baker

Praise for Dusty Baker

One scout on Reds manager Dusty Baker: "I don't think Dusty and his staff get enough credit. They didn't make any big trades, yet look at them. Dusty really has them playing." It's only fair: All of the Sabermeticians who delight in ripping Dusty for his "handling" of pitchers really should give him some credit for this season.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/story/1...r-way-to-do-it

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Praise for Dusty Baker

i agree I think im one of the only 1s thats likes this guy. Hes dont great imo.

Yes, I have really changed my mind about Dusty. I wanted him fired last year, but the way the team plays for him its clear that this group of guys love him. Now I hope we extend him, it would be a shame to tell the players that the manager is gone after such a positive season.

Totally agree, and this type of run is why they brought him in. He knows how to run a playoff race and is doing the job.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

I agree with the message, funny how so many take the time to bash him the last couple years, but not many admitting he has done a hell of a job!!!
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

The Buckeye Bomber

In Dusty I Trust-y.
    I hate the Cardinals. I hate the Cubs.
    Let's. Go. Reds.
    "Per Aspera Ad Astra"

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Baker seems to have the Midas touch this year.

And the players do seem to respect him and enjoy playing for him.

It was probably the wrong thing to do, partly because it seems to be aksing for trouble (cosmically speaking), but I finally removed my FIRE DUSTY BAKER sig line.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

The younger fans don't realize it, but there was actually a time when the Reds and Dodgers were the best rivalry in baseball - or at least in the NL. So with Dusty being an old school Dodger and me being an old school Reds fans, well, I just never liked Dusty and didn't want him in Cincinnati. And then him coming here with the smell of the Cubs on him didn't help either. I haven't been a Dusty Baker supporter during his tenure in Cincy, but someone would have to be a real hater to deny the job he's done with this year's young Reds team. A month ago I said I'd give the MOY award to Bud Black in San Diego. But with the Padres slipping lately and the Reds on fire and pulling away from STL, I think at this point Dusty Baker is the MOY. Great job from start to finish, DB. And hopefully the best is still ahead for us.

Kudos!

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    I agree with the message, funny how so many take the time to bash him the last couple years, but not many admitting he has done a hell of a job!!!
    Check and see what Reds did BR (before Rolen) and AR (after Rolen). His addition on and off the field has made the primary difference in this ballclub. Dusty has done a good job rotating his bench players in and out and knowing when to give his vets a rest. Dusty's entitled to a one year offer and that's it. Take it or leave it. There are a dozen or more competent managers who would love to have his job. Jocketty, at some point, deserves to have his own guy and yes that might be Dusty.

Turn Off Ads?