Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Name the Reds foul balls or HR balls you have caught

Re: Name the Reds foul balls or HR balls you have caught

Quote Originally Posted by Captain13 View Post
    Sir, you are a true gentleman.
    Agreed. I am of the opinion that all foul balls caught must be given to a kid if there is one in your vicinity.

HRs are a different story, especially if they are milestones.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsLvr View Post
    Haha, that would be my favorite thing to catch.
    I didn't end up eating it. The pressure had pretty much annihilated the bun and it was just a soggy glob of meat and bread.

My homerun catch. It was Mother's Day about 4 or 5 years ago (ESPN Sunday Night Baseball). Reds & Dodgers. I caught Jason Phillips' grand slam. I was sitting in the 1st row in leftfield. I was on ESPN News, every half hour for a 24 hour period. NO, I did not throw it back (I'm not a Cub fan). Yes, I still have it. It took me 41 years to get my first. The next year I caught a foul ball - very uneventful.

Agreed. I am of the opinion that all foul balls caught must be given to a kid if there is one in your vicinity.

HRs are a different story, especially if they are milestones

__________________________________________________ _______________

All foul balls are given to kids is the ballpark rule at all home games for the Ogden Raptors. Ogden, UT. Rookie league team for the LA Dodgers.

Nerdvana Annihilation

I caught a pratice ball from Brandon Phillips last year when they played the Indians at home.

I got Jim Leyland to toss me a ball back in 1997 when he was the Marlins skipper for their title team, back at old Qualcomm Stadium (now exclusively the Chargers venue)

My best is the one that got away. Final game of 84 World Series, there with my dad for BP in right filed, Gibson gets a hold of one and I catch it off the bounce. Dude comes up and takes it from my glove after I got it, I was in 5th grade, not much I could do but stomp on his glasses that fell off his head when he pushed into me. I hope he at least couldnt see the game after that with his broken glasses.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by justincredible View Post
    I guess I don't get this and I couldn't disagree more. And I consider myself a very nice guy.

A kid in my family or traveling party attending the game -- of course. Some stranger's kid? Not in a million years. I'm 43 and have caught exactly ONE foul ball in my life. And I'm going to give it away to some kid??? No way. (I feel the same way about throwing a HR back on the field like Cubs fans. Idiots.)

It seems to me equivalent to finally getting a hole in one in golf (I never have), then finding a kid and saying, "here, you write down 1 on your scorecard and get your picture in the paper." Not gonna happen.

Quote Originally Posted by chettt View Post
    All foul balls are given to kids is the ballpark rule at all home games for the Ogden Raptors. Ogden, UT. Rookie league team for the LA Dodgers.
    Good rule.

Quote Originally Posted by redssince75 View Post
    I guess I don't get this and I couldn't disagree more. And I consider myself a very nice guy.

A kid in my family or traveling party attending the game -- of course. Some stranger's kid? Not in a million years. I'm 43 and have caught exactly ONE foul ball in my life. And I'm going to give it away to some kid??? No way. (I feel the same way about throwing a HR back on the field like Cubs fans. Idiots.)

It seems to me equivalent to finally getting a hole in one in golf (I never have), then finding a kid and saying, "here, you write down 1 on your scorecard and get your picture in the paper." Not gonna happen.
    IMO, it's not even close to the hole in one scenario. That's a once in a lifetime personal achievement. I can go buy a baseball for $5 if I really want one and catching a foul ball isn't that big of a deal. Giving it to a little kid is going to make his day (or summer, even).

I'm 27, have caught exactly ZERO foul balls, and wouldn't hesitate to give it to a kid even if I didn't know them.

IMO, it's not even close to the hole in one scenario. That's a once in a lifetime personal achievement. I can go buy a baseball for $5 if I really want one and catching a foul ball isn't that big of a deal. Giving it to a little kid is going to make his day (or summer, even).

I'm 27, have caught exactly ZERO foul balls, and wouldn't hesitate to give it to a kid even if I didn't know them.
    Well growing up I didn't live near a city with a ML team. I went to a grand total of 2 MLB games before I was an adult. I still don't go to that many as an adult. So I guess I see catching a game ball much closer to hole-in-one than you do. I know anyone can buy a ball for $5 -- if the kid wants one, he should go do that. Or I'll even buy one for him if he asks, but he's not getting my game ball.

Quote Originally Posted by redssince75 View Post
    Well growing up I didn't live near a city with a ML team. I went to a grand total of 2 MLB games before I was an adult. I still don't go to that many as an adult. So I guess I see catching a game ball much closer to hole-in-one than you do. I know anyone can buy a ball for $5 -- if the kid wants one, he should go do that. Or I'll even buy one for him if he asks, but he's not getting my game ball.
    I've only lived in Cincinnati for the past 3 years. Before that I was 2.5 hours away from the Reds and had gone to only 2 games in my first 18 years (also a couple Indians games so maybe 5 total pro baseball games).

Now, your certainly free to do whatever you want with a foul ball after you catch it but I'll definitely be booing you if you keep it and break a little kids heart.

Now, your certainly free to do whatever you want with a foul ball after you catch it but I'll definitely be booing you if you keep it and break a little kids heart.
    If a kid expects a stranger to give him a baseball and his heart is broken if he doesn't get it......no offense, but that kid is a moron. lol

I dont think it should be a setrule, everyone has their choice and value on it. But, from the times I have given balls away, the sight of a kid excited about it beats it sitting on my shelf, IMO. I got a foul ball at a Bulls/bats game a month or so back and gave it to a kid who was hanging around, and he was so excited it made me enjoy it more.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

I caught one @ Crosley field when I was 14. Joe Nuxhall pitching, Maury Wills batting. The best part (besides the honorary contract) was the ball had a big gob of spit on it! When it dried, it had a big tobacco juice type stain on it. In later years, I met Joe a few times, and related my story to him. He admitted to throwing the spitter often. He said the last one he threw, Richie Allen hit it out of Veterans Stadium.
    On a side note, my dad had taken me to the game to visit with Marv Breeding, 2B of the Dodgers, during pre-game BP. I had met him a few years prior, when he played Legion ball with my uncle in Alabama. I'm sure my autograghed "Marv Breeding" glove was instrumental in me making the catch.
    I also got one in Lakeland, Fla. Spring game between Tigers and Reds. Pete Rose hitting lefty against the Underwood brother that pitched lefthanded. Why, IDK. Pete sliced it foul down leftfield line. It bounced off a "big" guy's chest and right into my hands. It was Pete's last year with the Reds before free agency. When Pete came back as a manager, I was able to get it signed by him. Oh, the memories!!

Turn Off Ads?