Turn Off Ads?

Thread: IL MVP and Post Season All Stars announced

IL MVP and Post Season All Stars announced

2 Bats made the cut in 2B Chris Valakia and OF Wlad Balentien.

MVP is Dan Johnson and no surprise there...

Pitcher of the year was also no surprise in Jeremy Hellickson.

Manager of the year was a surprise to me in Durham manager Charlie Montoyo.

I mean how in the freaking world can Rick Sweet not win the award?
    REALLY??!!?

Also surprised that Cozart wasn't on the All Star Team.
    If you can't be a good example... then you'll just have to be a horrible warning...

Nothing tastes as good as being fit feels...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: IL MVP and Post Season All Stars announced

All Sweet did was drive this team from 10 games back to (possibly) win the division.

He is the Manager-of-the-Year. I don't care what anybody says.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    All Sweet did was drive this team from 10 games back to (possibly) win the division.

(Blank) of the Year arguments are so terribly subjective to begin with, especially for managers where there really aren't any statistics to corroborate the argument tailored to the individual.

Nothing against Rick Sweet, and I'm not taking a position on whether he should or shouldn't win the award, but Louisville finished the last month or two absolutely loaded with more talent than any team in the IL, arguably. There have been threads here discussing how the lineup down the stretch is full of guys that could have decent MLB careers.

Point is... this particular award is based on how one chooses to define and interpret it. Some look for straight results. Others look for doing the best job given the talent they have to work with. There really is no clear cut 'winner' of these types of awards. That he didn't win it is really a silly thing to argue, at least with veracity, because it's not something tangible.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I look for "turn-arounds". While this year isn't a "turn-around", as they'll end up with a worse record than last season, it was a huge turn-around from the first half to the second half of the season.

Looking at just turn-arounds, Columbus made the biggest one of anyone from last year to this year.

While Rick Sweet may have had a "talented" squad in August, he has no more Stars, and certainly, the "SuperStars" that Durham has. Durham has the MVP, and the Pitcher-of-the-Year. How easy then must it be be for the Durham Manager to win games with talent like that?

Scranton/Wilkes-Barre had 3 All-Stars, Gwinnet had two, and Durham had one more.

Durham swept the "Team Triple Crown", leading the league in Batting, Pitching and Defense, while composing the best record, and while winning their Division the last 3 seasons, they have never had a Manager-of-the-Year winner. So, it's hard to argue against giving it to the Durham Manager.

I love what Rick Sweet's done. I still would have given him my vote if I had one, but Columbus or Durham are just as good of choices.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 09-01-2010 at 05:48 AM.

Tampa has a really good farm system, Durham being the crown jewel. I probably should attend more of their games but haven't. I did see Hellickson pitch a couple times here. I've seen Gomes homer here as a Bull several years back. It is a great place to catch a a game. Congrats to the guys, they've had another awesome season.

I look for "turn-arounds". While this year isn't a "turn-around", as they'll end up with a worse record than last season, it was a huge turn-around from the first half to the second half of the season.

Looking at just turn-arounds, Columbus made the biggest one of anyone from last year to this year.

While Rick Sweet may have had a "talented" squad in August, he has no more Stars, and certainly, the "SuperStars" that Durham has. Durham has the MVP, and the Pitcher-of-the-Year. How easy then must it be be for the Durham Manager to win games with talent like that?

Scranton/Wilkes-Barre had 3 All-Stars, Gwinnet had two, and Durham had one more.

Durham swept the "Team Triple Crown", leading the league in Batting, Pitching and Defense, while composing the best record, and while winning their Division the last 3 seasons, they have never had a Manager-of-the-Year winner. So, it's hard to argue against giving it to the Durham Manager.

I love what Rick Sweet's done. I still would have given him my vote if I had one, but Columbus or Durham are just as good of choices.
    Turn-arounds in the minors are usually directly results of shuffling of talent throughout the system. I think that's a flawed approach to gauging a manager's performance. Of course they had a "turn-around" because a ton of additional talent was added for the second half of the season.

As I said before, I can't say I would have a problem with Sweet winning it. The award is too subjective to take a strong stance for or against. And I agree with your last pragraph... I think you could make a strong case for the manager of a few squads. I just don't think there really is any good criteria for this kind of award.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

But look at the other side of that coin. In the first half of the year, that top notch roster was totally under-performing...that goes on his resume as well.

(don't get me wrong...I think he should've gotten it too)
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

Turn Off Ads?