Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: So much for a reasonable contract

So much for a reasonable contract

Before the season started, I was hoping the Reds would be able to sign Joey to a contract along the lines of 4years/$32M. What are MVP/Triple Crown/GoldGlove first basemen who lead their team to the playoffs for the first time in years going for these days?
    Last edited by corkedbat; 08-31-2010 at 11:48 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: So much for a reasonable contract

Great problem to have...

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Before the season started, I was hoping the Reds would be able to sign Joey to a contract along the lines of 4years/$32M. What are MVP/Triple Crown/GoldGlove first basemen who lead their team to the playoffs for the first time in years going for these days?
    I honestly feel 5 for 40 is a good starting point.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

What are MVP/Triple Crown/Gold Glove first basemen who lead their team to the playoffs for the first time in years going for there days?
    Lol...

Well if fat, range lacking, shaky glove, non meat eating 1B go for 20 Million...

I say just break the bank and do it.

6/100.

Lattes and Designer Shirts aren't cheap.
    If you can't be a good example... then you'll just have to be a horrible warning...

Nothing tastes as good as being fit feels...

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    Lol...

Well if fat, range lacking, shaky glove, non meat eating 1B go for 20 Million...

I say just break the bank and do it.

6/100.

Lattes and Designer Shirts aren't cheap.
    Heather will pony up half.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I'm hoping that they'll find the money to lock up Votto from a combination of contracts coming off the books (looking your way, Aaron Harang) and a swell of interest in season tickets this offseason.

Playoff baseball has a way of bringing fans back to the game not only for the pennant chase but for the following season as well.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Heather will pony up half.
    I'll get right on that after I rob a bank to pay for it, LOL

He deserves a nice big contract though and I honestly hope he's a Red for life. I can't see him enjoying a life in New York or LA where the media and pressure are so much higher and I think he really likes Cincinnati and the team they have right now. I hope they get him signed for a good long time.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I'm hoping that they'll find the money to lock up Votto from a combination of contracts coming off the books (looking your way, Aaron Harang) and a swell of interest in season tickets this offseason.

Playoff baseball has a way of bringing fans back to the game not only for the pennant chase but for the following season as well.
    Agreed. Locking Votto up to a LTC is VITAL for a city like Cincinnati. The fans around here need a player like Votto to talk about, idolize and worship. I had Larkin, Rijo and ED, my father had Rose, Robinson, Bench, Perez, Morgan, my grandfather had Klu, Lombardi, Pinson. This city baseball heritige is built around those names.

Votto needs to be added to that list.
    If you can't be a good example... then you'll just have to be a horrible warning...

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Give him whatever he wants. He's that important to the future.

And think about this. When you consider the young talent we have, it's going to be tough to sign Bruce, Stubbs (believe it or not), Heisey, Cueto, Volquez, Masset, and others to break the bank. If they win it all or come close this year, just open the coffers. It's not my money so I don't care.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    Agreed. Locking Votto up to a LTC is VITAL for a city like Cincinnati. The fans around here need a player like Votto to talk about, idolize and worship. I had Larkin, Rijo and ED, my father had Rose, Robinson, Bench, Perez, Morgan, my grandfather had Klu, Lombardi, Pinson. This city baseball heritige is built around those names.

Votto needs to be added to that list.
    Along with Frank Robinson and Junior Griffey. Both were maligned while here, but they were superstars and so is Joey.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Here's some speculation from back in April:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/0...ibilities.html

Here's one more recent, speculating that he could get $7 mil. in arbitration if he wins the MVP
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/joey_votto/

I think that's a good and perhaps even conservative possibility given the Ryan Howard precedent as a 3rd year player winning the MVP.

If he wins the MVP, then in order to lock him up and buy out his first year of free agency, I think you're going to need a deal resembling something like this:

2011: 7 mil
    2012: 10 mil
    2013: 14 mil
    2014: 18 mi

4 years, 49 million

If he gets the triple crown, expect it to cost even more.
    ". . . acquiring J. Blanton from Oakland for, apparently, Bailey/Cueto, Votto and a lesser prospect. I do it in a second . . . The Reds' equation this year is simple: Make Matt Belisle your #3 starter . . . trade for Blanton, win 85 or more, be in the mix all summer." - Paul Daugherty, Feb. 8, 2008

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Question -- if he's going to be at the peak of his value after the season, why not just go year-to-year with him?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I love Votto but don't think the Reds should break the bank to sign him long term.

First base is just too easy to fill to put all your eggs in that basket IMO. If he played a premium defensive position I'd feel different.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Good time to trade him. His value will never be higher.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I love Votto but don't think the Reds should break the bank to sign him long term.

First base is just too easy to fill to put all your eggs in that basket IMO. If he played a premium defensive position I'd feel different.

Uh...

Really?

1.000 OPS 1B with 30 HR Power aren't a premium here in Cincy?

In my lifetime this is what the Reds have gotten out of the 1B position:

1976 - Perez .780 OPS 19 HR / Driessen .764 OPS 7 HR
    1977 - Driessen .843 OPS 17 HR
    1978 - Driessen .742 OPS 16 HR
    1979 - Driessen .744 OPS 18 HR
    1980 - Driessen .795 OPS 14 HR
    1981 - Driessen .735 OPS 7 HR
    1982 - Driessen .789 OPS 17 HR
    1983 - Esasky .778 OPS 12 HR / Driessen .810 OPS 12 HR
    1984 - Esasky .649 OPS 10 HR
    1985 - Esasky .797 OPS 21 HR
    1986 - Esasky .728 OPS 12 HR
    1987 - Esasky .856 OPS 22 HR
    1988 - Esasky .739 OPS 15 HR
    1989 - Benzinger .674 OPS 14 HR
    1990 - Morris .879 OPS 7 HR / Benzinger .631 OPS 5 HR
    1991 - Morris .853 OPS 14 HR
    1992 - Morris .732 OPS 6 HR
    1993 - Morris .791 OPS 7 HR
    1994 - Morris .876 OPS 10 HR
    1995 - Morris .784 OPS 11 HR
    1996 - Morris .853 OPS 16 HR
    1997 - Morris .679 OPS 1 HR
    1998 - Casey .782 OPS 7 HR / Young .845 OPS 18 HR
    1999 - Casey .938 OPS 25 HR
    2000 - Casey .902 OPS 20 HR
    2001 - Casey .827 OPS 13 HR
    2002 - Casey .696 OPS 6 HR
    2003 - Casey .758 OPS 14 HR
    2004 - Casey .915 OPS 24 HR
    2005 - Was a mess at 1B. Don't even wanna try and figure it out. Javy got time there. Nuff said.
    2006 - Hatteberg .825 OPS 13 HR
    2007 - Hatteberg .868 OPS 10 HR / Votto .918 OPS 4 HR
    2008 - Votto .874 OPS 24 HR / Hatteberg .493 OPS 0 HR
    2009 - Votto .981 OPS 25 HR
    2010 - Votto 1.029 OPS 32 HR (With 1 month to play)

Which one of these does not look like the others?

3 Times in 34 years a 1B for the Reds has had a OPS of .950 or Higher. Joey has 2.

5 Times under a .700 OPS

19 times under a .800 OPS

5 Times in the last 34 years a 1B for the Reds has had 24 or more HR Joey has 3.

1 Time over 30. Joey.

10 Times they have had 10 or less.

4 Times in the last 50 years has a Reds 1B hit 30 or more HR's.

1960 - Robinson 31 HR 1.002 OPS
    1968 - Perez 37 HR .893 OPS
    1970 - Perez 40 HR .990 OPS
    2010 - Votto 32 HR 1.029 OPS

Depending on how Sept/Oct plays out, he might have the best season a 1B has ever had in Reds history.

Sign him. Sign him now.
    Last edited by nemesis; 09-01-2010 at 03:12 AM.

Turn Off Ads?