Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: September 1st, 2010

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Re: September 1st, 2010

(((VP))) Beautiful post and I'm sure your grampa is smiling down on you right now.

It's September 1st and I haven't paid a lick of attention to the NFL or colllege football yet this year. How fun is that?! I still like football and will follow the box scores but my heart has special spot in it for baseball. I've always been more of a baseball girl than a football girl (although if we're really getting technical, I'm a die hard figure skating fan first and foremost...thankfully their season starts in late October so there's not much overlapping for me there, LOL) and this season has been absolutely awesome for me. I was too little to remember the Big Red Machine but I certainly remember the Wire to Wire season and I plan on being in full out baseball mode for a long time this fall. Good thing Ohio State plays this week on the Reds off day so I can at least follow their first game of the year, LOL :
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Vatican, what a wonderful post, perhaps the best of this season on the board. Don't you have a blog on baseball? If I'm remembering correctly, I hope you'll put it up on the blog. I'd love to share it.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

A very good post VP. I enjoyed that very much.
    If/when the Reds make the playoffs it will be the first that I won't be able to talk to my dad about it with. He has been gone for nearly five years now. We often talked on the phone about the Reds after I moved away. It was always fun to be able to talk to him and share the recent news of the Reds with him. I'll miss that this year but will be thinking a lot about him when the Reds finally do take the field in a playoff game. Hopefully this October.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

What a great read, vaticanplum. Just fantastic stuff.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Awesome post, VP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Great post VP! Great post.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Vatican, what a wonderful post, perhaps the best of this season on the board. Don't you have a blog on baseball? If I'm remembering correctly, I hope you'll put it up on the blog. I'd love to share it.
    Thanks No blog for me, usually I limit my stream-of-consciousness baseball musings to this board. You can share it with anybody you like though.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Fantastic post VP...thanks for sharing. My grandpa was born and raised in Cincinnati too, as were my father and I, and he was also the main Reds and baseball influence in my life. Your story brought back many fond memories for me of warm days in Crosley Field, and later Riverfront Stadium. In the Crosley days all the men wore suits to the game and the players had to pass through the stands to get from the clubhouse to the field. The players often stopped in the stands to talk to their fans before or after games. I can still see in my minds eye Frank Robinson, or 'Robbie' as my grandpa called him, standing and chatting with us like we were old friends. For me, that was the pinnacle of life. I'm guessing your photo may come from one of these frequent encounters from a bygone era. It seems foreign to us now...I don't even wear a suit to work, much less to a sporting event. I'm sure our grandfathers are looking down on us now and smiling...they'd love this team just as much as we do because it's built on old-fashoined baseball principles. Pitching and defense first. Thanks again, and enjoy every minute of this wonderful season...I know I will.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Beautiful. Memories like that mirror my memories of my father. Thank you for posting that.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Formerly Farsighted Fan sabometrics's Avatar

To echo the above posts, great post VP. I too lost my Grandfather a few years back and he was the biggest Reds fan in my immediate family. He went after 3 separate bouts with cancer and couldn't make it to games in person but would watch religiously from his basement. I inherited a ball signed by nearly the entire (it appears early) 84 squad from him (No Pete). Easily my prized baseball possession. Soto, Perez, Davis, Concepcion, Parker, Power, etc all there. Looking at the ball now this season is bittersweet now knowing I won't be able to share it with him in person. But I'm sure he's watching this team in spirit all the same. I hope we're watching a new generation of Reds legends taking the field in the same way he saw the great Reds teams of years past.
    "He looked like a surfer kid from SoCal," manager Dusty Baker says. "He didn't say much, but you could tell he was cool."

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Thanks No blog for me, usually I limit my stream-of-consciousness baseball musings to this board. You can share it with anybody you like though.
    Thanks, I put it up on my Facebook page and acknowledged you as the discoverer of the Rally Onion too. It is wonderful really.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

13. Likes:

cincyinco (02-05-2013)

Turn Off Ads?