Thread: Slap of Reality - Playoffs 2010

Slap of Reality - Playoffs 2010

Reds records against possible playoff teams

Atlanta 2-3
    Philly 2-5
    San Diego 1-2
    Frisco 3-4

Record against St Louis 5-10

The Reds have a winning record against EVERY other NL team and a winning record against the AL in interleague games.

Were tied for the best record in the NL and are consistently beating the lesser teams in the league, but as the post season approaches, Its time to face this question:

Are we not strong enough to win against the NL elite?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Slap of Reality - Playoffs 2010

Just gotta get there, baby, and see what happens.

The good news, now that we're running away from the Cards, is that we'll be able to rest people, get guys healthy, and set our rotation.

Should be fun!
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Just look at those numbers and think about the games.

The Reds lost two games to the Braves and Phillies that were beyond miracles.

That's not even mentioning the absurd bad luck of the 4 game Philly series.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Cedric,

I was just thinking the same thing. We BLEW some huge leads in those games...and don't forget that was before we had the Chap Man!
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Games against bad teams count as much in the regular season as do games against the elite.

Those numbers are not pretty, but let's cross that bridge when we get there. If the Reds make the playoffs, then it's time to worry about it, but getting there is a huge first step we need to take.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/standings/grid give a little perspective on it. Its axiomatic that most teams have losing records against winning teams.

If there are games to lose, I'd rather be losing to good teams than bad teams.

Pay attention to the open sky

Honestly they should be 5-0 against the Braves or 4-1
    Most Vottomatic Player

On the surface, it appears the Reds were owned by the Braves and Phillies this season, but if you look closer, that's not the case at all. Check out the scores of those games:

Vs the Braves

Lost 5-4. Braves scored winning run with two outs in the bottom of the 9th.

Lost 10-9. Reds blew a 9-3 lead in the bottom of the 9th.

Lost 6-4 in 10 innings. Extra innings loss. Reds failed to get a runner in from third with only one out in 8th inning.

Won 5-2

Won 2-1

Vs the Phillies

Won 7-3

Lost 9-6 in 10 innings

Won 4-3.

Lost 4-3 in 12 innings.

Lost 9-7 in 10 innings. Reds blew a 7-1 lead in the bottom of the 9th inning.

Lost 1-0

Lost 1-0

Every single one of those losses to the Braves and Phillies were close games and could have went either way. The Reds could have easily swept the Phillies instead of being swept.

The Reds played the Padres way back in April when the Reds were playing awful baseball. The Reds split a four game series at home vs the Giants, and one of those losses was by one run. Now obviously the Giants beat up on the Reds in San Francisco, but that was the end of a nine game west coast roadtrip. I would be worried if the Reds had been blown out of the water by the Braves/Phillies but that's not the case.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

And how long ago was the San Diego series? I can't even remember anything about those games.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

The way Masset and Cordero are pitching now, and with the addition of Chapman as a hammer-arm for the 7th inning, I like our chances in a few of those games if they were to be replayed tomorrow.

The bigger issue for the Reds, IMO, is matching up with starters like Halladay, Hamels, and Latos.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Personally, I think the San Diego series in late Sept is going to be big. If the Reds are going to be satisfied with reaching the playoffs or intend to win, that series is the time to make that statement.

Who do you all think will be our post-season rotation?

Arroyo
    Cueto
    Bailey ?

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    And how long ago was the San Diego series? I can't even remember anything about those games.
    In April
    Lost 10-4
    Lost 5-0
    Won 5-4

Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    Personally, I think the San Diego series in late Sept is going to be big. If the Reds are going to be satisfied with reaching the playoffs or intend to win, that series is the time to make that statement.

Who do you all think will be our post-season rotation?

Arroyo
    Cueto
    Bailey ?
    Arroyo
    Cueto
    Harang

I think they may actually use those 3 pitchers in the rotation AND shorten up the starts on everyone(with a possible exception of Arroyo.)

If you plan on every starter going 5 innings, that means Ondrusek in 6th, Chapman in the 7th, Masset in the 8th, Cordero in the 9th. This still leaves Bray, Wood, and Rhodes from the left side with Bailey and LeCure from the Right hand side.

Obviously there's a lot of unproven, but I'm going to trust Logan Ondrusek and Chapman in the 6th and 7th innings alot more than the 6th or 7th inning of Cueto, Harang, Wood, or Bailey.
    When people say that I dont know what Im talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

I would most certainly want Wood getting a start against Philly if we met them, with their LH lineup.

That's considering he hasn't maxed out innings and he is still pitching good.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

It is difficult to see a correlation between regular season records against playoff teams. Playoffs are a totally different animal and unpredictable. The Reds have done what playoff contenders do--beat up on weak teams, have winning records against mediocre teams, and hold their own against playoff contenders, esp. at home. The Reds have won series at home against the teams mentioned except SD, and that series was early in the season.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Turn Off Ads?