Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tom Cochran to AAA.

Tom Cochran to AAA.

Tom Cochran is now showing up on the Bats roster. I assume he will take Maloney's place tomorrow. He was not at all impressive last year when I saw him - hopefully he will be better this time.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Tom Cochran to AAA.

Quote Originally Posted by batsfan View Post
    Tom Cochran is now showing up on the Bats roster. I assume he will take Maloney's place tomorrow. He was not at all impressive last year when I saw him - hopefully he will be better this time.
    Not a big stuff guy, but he fits the mold of Jukich. Can locate his stuff and when he does, can get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Not a big stuff guy, but he fits the mold of Jukich. Can locate his stuff and when he does, can get the job done.
    I really can not recall him throwing much faster then 85 - 86 on the slugger field gun. His stats in AAA last year are deceptive - his best game was pitched against a slumping team in which every player used the same bat, and in the playoffs, against a good team, he got beaten up.

Comparing Jukich and Cochran is a serious stretch.

As of right now, assuming Cochran starts Sunday in place of Maloney, the Bats projected playoff rotation (assuming they clinch) would be:

Reineke
    Owings
    Klinker
    Cochran
    Jukich

Any pitcher could be moved up one day due to the off day before the start of the playoffs.

This rotation is a little worrying - while Reineke is not a bad starter for the #1 game, Jukich has been our best picher of late, and should be #1 or #2 instead of #4 or #5. Also, Owings means a bullpen game, and Klinker has not impressed lately, and Cochran is not a AAA pitcher. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

That's a far cry from

Wood
    Chapman
    Maloney
    Lehr
    LeCure

at the start of the year.

I have as much confidence in Cochran as I do Jukich.

Whether he'll perform well is unknown, but you can't deny that he earned the promotion. It's about time.

The rest of the story...Woody is back up.

The Cincinnati Reds have made a set of transactions impacting their Double-A affiliate Carolina Mudcats prior to the regular season road finale tonight in Birmingham.

LHP Tom Cochran has been assigned to Triple-A Louisville, while RHP Abe Woody returns to the Mudcats from High-A Lynchburg. Additionally, LHP Travis Webb has been placed on the temporary inactive list.

Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    Comparing Jukich and Cochran is a serious stretch.
    Really? Both are lefties with control who rely on offspeed pitches because neither guy throws hard enough to get the FB by anyone. Sure, Jukich might throw 1-3 MPH harder, but that still puts him in the 'below average' velocity range.

Really? Both are lefties with control who rely on offspeed pitches because neither guy throws hard enough to get the FB by anyone. Sure, Jukich might throw 1-3 MPH harder, but that still puts him in the 'below average' velocity range.
    Jukich throws probably 3 - 5 MPH harder, and I have seen him around 90 - 91 many times. Plenty of left handed pitchers have succeeded with that kind of stuff, and it is not all that below average.

According to the game notes, the bats rotation to end the season is now:

Reineke
    Cochran
    Klinker
    Horst
    Jukich

I imagine that if the Bats clinch or are elimiated from
    the division by monday, Owings could start so that Jukich could start the first game of the playoffs

Jukich throws probably 3 - 5 MPH harder, and I have seen him around 90 - 91 many times. Plenty of left handed pitchers have succeeded with that kind of stuff, and it is not all that below average.
    I have seen Jukich in the 85-88 range a lot more than I have seen him in the 90-91 range. Is he consistently throwing that now or throwing 90-91 three times a game?

I have seen Jukich in the 85-88 range a lot more than I have seen him in the 90-91 range. Is he consistently throwing that now or throwing 90-91 three times a game?
    More then three times, but he probably is more 86 - 89 for most of the game. When I saw Cochran pitch, it seemed like he was more mid to low 80's. Maybe he was throwing a lot of offspeed stuff. But mid to low 80's is a lot different then mid to high 80's.

According to the game notes, the bats rotation to end the season is now:

Reineke
    Cochran
    Klinker
    Horst
    Jukich
    Well, whaddya know? Very glad, and surprised, to see Horst back in a rotation. He's been a very good starter (at times) in the past, and it seemed odd that they'd removed him entirely from that role.

Turn Off Ads?