Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What if Dusty jumps ship..

Re: What if Dusty jumps ship..

Quote Originally Posted by Rockermann View Post
    Dave Miley says Hi!
    Miley had 0 pitching and Griffey taking up a quarter of his payroll. Nobody could have done much with those teams. Hardly anyone on those teams came up through the system under Miley.

I don't see many parallels between him and Sweet to be honest.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I doubt Dusty leaves unless the Dodgers offer him a 4-5 year contract. He knows with the right moves the Reds can go on a run here for a few years The devorce is a mess (McCourts) Both are fighting for sole ownership of the club. Judge has told them it would be best for all parties if they sold but that is not happening because after 2014 the Dodgers will be a cash cow. Real scarry for the rest of the NL and baseball for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by davereds24 View Post
    ...I don't see many parallels between him and Sweet to be honest.
    Actually, I mostly agree. The teams are night and day in comparison.

However, the parallel would be using a manager with no MLB experience. And while the league has to break in inexperienced managers at some point, after making this jump to were we're now winning, I would had to add that extra variable into the equation.
    Steve
    Project-43
    http://www.project-43.com

What about Bobby Valentine?

I only say Larkin because I think the players are a little connected to him right now, but not too connected where he wouldnt be able to get them to listen.

Say guys like Spier or guys they came up through the minors with only know those guys as Bench coaches, and AAA managers. To respect them like a manager is another issue. They dont know how someone like Larkin would respond so his slate for handling things is going to clean and likely more effective.

If Dusty leaves, I'm guessing Brian Price is our next manager. He's got managerial aspirations, and I think one of the reasons he bounced around a few teams before coming here is because he wasn't offered the manager job.

And honestly, with what he seems to have done with our pitching, I'd take him as the manager in a heart beat.

Baker is not leaving. He was offered an extension, and he has stated many times that he would like to stay here.

I agree with 13 in the Hall the only way he leaves is if he is offered a multi year contract from the Dodgers. That could happen, but that is the only reason why Baker would leave.

If he does move on to LA, there are plenty of solid candidates to choose from in the off season.

In house, I like liminal's suggestion of Price. He will be a manager someday.

Then there's Fredi Gonzalez, Don Wakamatsu, Willie Randolph just off the top of my head. There are a lot of great bench coaches and minor league managers that would be at the top of the list. I would have to think that if there a manager's position open in Cincinnati this offseason, it would be the #1 choice of potential managers looking for a job. This team has a great future.

Rick Sweet over Dusty all day, every day, and any other possible candidate.

let the Pirates break in rookie managers. We need experience and a proven track record of winning. Or maybe Tony Perez deserves another shot...
    "Another note: Gomes told me yesterday that Rolen and Cabrera congratulate teammates for 10-pitch ABs that end in outs, and for sacrificing themselves to get runners over. Gomes said hes never been on a team that did that, not even the World Series Rays." -PD

Definitely Larkin. It's gotta be.

Quote Originally Posted by TylerScottDavis View Post
    Definitely Larkin. It's gotta be.
    I like Larkin, but he has zero background in this, that is not what you want.:thumbdown

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    I like Larkin, but he has zero background in this, that is not what you want.:thumbdown
    Plenty of successful managers had less background than Larkin. Leyland never even made it to the majors. I think playing in the majors for 19 seasons is enough of a background to be considered for a managerial spot. Plus Larkin worked in the Nationals front office for a few years. If anything, Larkin is overqualified to be the Reds next manager.

I know it would sound crazy but I would not rule out TLR as someone that would take over the Reds. TLR looks like he is out after this season and with his ego, it wouldn't surprise me if he takes over the Reds to get back at the Cards organization that's going to release him. You also have to remember that Walt and TLR are very good friends. I know you guys don't like him but think about it like this. Where ever TLR goes, Dave Duncan goes. If Dave Duncan touches that Reds pitching staff, well your team will win several World Series this decade. It might be worth putting up with TLR's antics for Dave Duncan.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    I know it would sound crazy but I would not rule out TLR as someone that would take over the Reds. TLR looks like he is out after this season and with his ego, it wouldn't surprise me if he takes over the Reds to get back at the Cards organization that's going to release him. You also have to remember that Walt and TLR are very good friends. I know you guys don't like him but think about it like this. Where ever TLR goes, Dave Duncan goes. If Dave Duncan touches that Reds pitching staff, well your team will win several World Series this decade. It might be worth putting up with TLR's antics for Dave Duncan.
    Crazier things have happened...

It will never happen.

Turn Off Ads?