Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Should Teddy Power get credit for Chapman's emergence?

Should Teddy Power get credit for Chapman's emergence?

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/blog?...ter&id=5522698

It is an inside article, but I found it interesting that Bryan Price told Olney...

Price was around Chapman on a daily basis in spring training, and as he watched the young Cuban on Tuesday night, up close again, it struck him that the left-hander's delivery is more compact, more suited for command and control -- the result of mechanical adjustments implemented by Ted Power, the Reds' Triple-A pitching coach.
    There's no denying that Chapman's control has gotten better throughout the season and a lot of that is on him, but should Powers be getting more credit?

The rest of the article is a good read by Olney if you have ESPNInsider.
    Last edited by fearofpopvol1; 09-02-2010 at 03:38 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Should Teddy Powers get credit for Chapman's emergence?

Who's getting the credit now? I would have been inclined to give credit to Power, since he's the pitching coach who has been with Chapman for the 5 months between March and this week.
    /r/reds

Re: Should Teddy Powers get credit for Chapman's emergence?

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Who's getting the credit now? I would have been inclined to give credit to Power, since he's the pitching coach who has been with Chapman for the 5 months between March and this week.
    I don't know that anyone is getting the credit per se, but I feel like Power has been overlooked and not mentioned enough. I don't think too many people realize that he's changed Chapman's delivery/mechanics.

Re: Should Teddy Power get credit for Chapman's emergence?

Power has done a great job of refining all the pitchers that have come through him, Starters and Bullpeners alike over the last 3 or 4 years. Having him in the orginasation every year beyond this one is a must because of the Amount of high end TOR arms that will be in Louisville in 2 years or so...

Fairel
    Joseph
    Boxberger
    Johnson
    Tuttle
    Corcino
    Lotzkar
    Robles
    Guillon
    Correra
    Mungarian
    Cisco
    Amezega

Pay him like a ML coach so that he stays if you have to...
    If you can't be a good example... then you'll just have to be a horrible warning...

Nothing tastes as good as being fit feels...

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    Pay him like a ML coach so that he stays if you have to...
    But what if another team wants to pay him like a ML coach and make him an ML coach? It'd be tough for the Reds to top that, now that they've got the guy they should want to keep as pitching coach for the foreseeable future.
    /r/reds

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

I think Ted Power deserves about as much credit as Albert Einstein's PhD dissertation adviser.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Nice insight in that piece.

Bryan Price:
    "From what I see, he has a more stabilized arm slot that's a little higher and has allowed him to not only command his fastball, but also to throw his slider."
    As far as Power goes he has earned his shot at becoming a Major League Pitching Coach, heck at the very least he should be the Bullpen coach next season. That is if someone comes flirting with him, which they now might over this high profile situation. It's not what he wants I'm sure but it might be worth enough to him to stick around for a while longer.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?