Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chapman as a starter

Chapman as a starter

I get chills thinking about it. According to Walt Jockety last night this is still the plan of the organization. I have a couple of questions reguarding this. He really only has 2 pitches right now. I think even with his stuff he needs a 3rd. Also he'll have pitched the last 3 months of the season out of the pen, is arm strength gonna be a problem? Which brings me to this. Does the Missile start out in triple A or does he start out in the Cincy rotation despit these factors?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Chapman as a starter

He definitely needs a 3rd pitch if he is going to start.

Johnny Cueto Fan

Quote Originally Posted by DaytonFlyer View Post
    He definitely needs a 3rd pitch if he is going to start.
    He has a fastball,slider and changeup.

Quote Originally Posted by KOBasinger View Post
    He has a fastball,slider and changeup.
    He had a changeup at the beginning of the year.

I haven't seen one from him in his 2 appearances.

And to be honest, it was a pretty bad to average changeup.

Follow the David Price plan.

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

In Louisville, it appeared he was throwing 4 pitches when he started. A superb fastball, clocking 98-101. A decent slider at 83-86. A bad changeup at 88-92 (hitters treated it like a batting practice fastball), and a slow curve that hitters feasted on. I watched him struggle with control of all 4 pitches and get beat like a drum in one of his last starts. If he can master either one of those other two pitches, he will be unhittable at any level.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

Randy Johnson only had two pitches...that worked out pretty good for him.

And his slider looks eerily close to Johnson's...

Yeah, he only needs that fastball and slider.

Randy Johnson pretty much had two pitches most of his career so no doubt Chapman could do it. Johnson did add a 2 seamer later in his career though.

The Buckeye Bomber

You don't need three or more pitches when you have a fastball that breaks radar guns and a slider that hooks 90 degrees near the plate.

Pitchers add pitches to their arsenal to deceive hitters via multiple looks. A guy who throws a 92mph fastball with little movement needs four or five pitches to keep hitters guessing. Otherwise they can sit on that fastball and crush it. Chapman's fastball is so blazing fast that hitters have to get started extra early. When the expected fastball turns out to be the hook... sit down, you're committed.

He's thrown two innings and no one has made solid contact on anything. Strikeouts and easy choppers to infielders. No worries, yet. I think he could start with just his current arsenal.
    I hate the Cardinals. I hate the Cubs.
    Let's. Go. Reds.
    "Per Aspera Ad Astra"

Quote Originally Posted by ThornWithin81 View Post
    You don't need three or more pitches when you have a fastball that breaks radar guns and a slider that hooks 90 degrees near the plate.
    ...and if you are a southpaw.

He definitely is capable of starting if he can average a 99 mph + fastball for 7 innings, but that really is the question. He is able to go all out for an inning, but what kind of stamina can he have over a longer outing?

For his career it would be best to add another above average pitch, as I know I'm only 30 and my body can't do what it could 8 years ago. Also that 3rd pitch would help tremendously in early season outings when its a little colder and your arm isn't as loose and the gun sits at 97 mph or so.

This is a pretty fun read on Chapman's 2nd outing:

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/to...appearance.php

He could probably be a good pitcher even with his 2 pitches right now. Most pitchers only throw their 3rd pitch something like 5% of the time, and at most 10%.

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    He could probably be a good pitcher even with his 2 pitches right now. Most pitchers only throw their 3rd pitch something like 5% of the time, and at most 10%.
    Very good point. Even Bronson throws his "fast"ball more than half the time. As I said on another thread, I haven't been this excited about a young Red since Larkin.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

It all depends on how good the 2 pitches are. Plus plus fastballs and sliders are going to be better than a pitcher with 4 average pitches.

Turn Off Ads?