Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Once October Comes...?

Once October Comes...?

So what does everyone think once the playoffs start - I think more and more, and i WANT to be optimistic, but we just dont have the top tier SP that other clubs have.

i really dont see winning 2 games in a series. the record vs .500+ teams this year speaks for itself.

are we a year away? are we just taking advantage of a very weak central and off year by St Louis? or will the Reds turn it around (starting this afternoon) and avoid the 4 game sweep in COL and return to playing solid ball?

i feel like they've been playing much more sloppy, the SP hasnt been what it was for most of the season and it doesnt look like a lot of the guys have a plan when they go to the plate - the other day vs. COL Chacin was starting who averages nearly 5 bb per game and he strikes out the side in the first inning, twice on 3 pitches - Reds just swinging and missing at everything. no patience at all. ...

i dont know i guess i might just be frustrated by this series....

2. Turn Off Ads?
    13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Re: Once October Comes...?

They could turn it around and gain momentum, but likely are a year away. This team is young and pretty deep. Our minor leagues are loaded. THIS IS JUST THE BEGINNING. The Reds will be serious contenders for years to come.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

Anything can happen in the postseason. We can win it all this year, but it won't even be close to easy. The reds can beat anyone in this league at their best. We just have to hope and pray that they go into the playoffs hotter than they have been all year.

To play in teh post season you have to win your division or be the WC team, as of right now i would say both of those are in question for the Reds.

see my signature
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

The Buckeye Bomber

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    To play in teh post season you have to win your division or be the WC team, as of right now i would say both of those are in question for the Reds.
    I disagree with this vehemently.

The Central is firmly within our grasp provided we play .500 ball down the stretch against these bad teams that we feast on.
    I hate the Cardinals. I hate the Cubs.
    Let's. Go. Reds.
    "Per Aspera Ad Astra"

I sort of have a question about the future of your starting pitching. Who do you see as becoming an elite, cy young type starter for the Reds? I like Cueto and Volquez but to me they are too wild and inconsistent at times to be a Wainwright/Halladay type of pitcher. Is this sort of pitcher in your organization or will the Reds have to look elsewhere?

The Smiling Side AintlifeGrande's Avatar

Phils are stacked.Barring a miracle,I think the buck stops there for the Redlegs.

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!

[QUOTE=brm7675;2250940]To play in teh post season you have to win your division or be the WC team, as of right now i would say both of those are in question for the Reds.[/QU
    They are about to run off 7 in a row again once we get home.

[QUOTE=Hey Meat;2251094]
    Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    To play in teh post season you have to win your division or be the WC team, as of right now i would say both of those are in question for the Reds.[/QU
    They are about to run off 7 in a row again once we get home.
    I like your positive thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    I sort of have a question about the future of your starting pitching. Who do you see as becoming an elite, cy young type starter for the Reds? I like Cueto and Volquez but to me they are too wild and inconsistent at times to be a Wainwright/Halladay type of pitcher. Is this sort of pitcher in your organization or will the Reds have to look elsewhere?
    i think we still need to give volquez a chance to come into spring training healthy to start the year to see what hes capable of.

i think we pretty much know what cueto is gonna be.

hopefully bailey has some untapped potential. i think he could be a "2" but more likely a "3".

wood and leake? the next glavine and maddux? doubted. they probably could are solid 3's or 4's. i think wood could possibly be a 2.

chapman. has all the potential in the world and the guy i think the reds are banking on to be the staff ace. hes been compared to randy johnson.

Last week I thought they could be in the WS. This week I don't know if they can win the Central. That is what being a fan is all about, highs and lows.

I tell you what though; if they do get into the playoffs I am going to be happy and enjoy it. I did not think they would make the playoffs this year, like I am sure many of you. Becoming a championship team is a process for sports teams, no matter what the sport.
    I think they are building a team that can compete for awhile and I am very excited about that.

Quote Originally Posted by RedCanuck View Post
    Last week I thought they could be in the WS. This week I don't know if they can win the Central. That is what being a fan is all about, highs and lows.

I tell you what though; if they do get into the playoffs I am going to be happy and enjoy it. I did not think they would make the playoffs this year, like I am sure many of you. Becoming a championship team is a process for sports teams, no matter what the sport.
    I think they are building a team that can compete for awhile and I am very excited about that.
    I agree, I've said all along I'd be ecstatic just to be watching them on TBS/FOX in a POSTSEASON game...guess we'll have to just wait and see, even though the Cards have been stinking, if Holliday and Pujols get hot, I dont think you can write them off like all the national guys are doing already, its making me nervous that everyone has basically handed the Central to the Reds...

there is a reason we have a playoff and not just crown to team with the best record......I am not sure what that reason is, lol, but I know what it means for teams like the Reds......................it means that the best team does not always win, and you cannot win the World Series if you dont make the playoffs....anything can happen once you get there, you get there and then you let things fall where they may. You might get to the playoffs and get shut out 3 games in a row, go home and be forgotten....but you still would be there 3 games more than the majority of MLB......

Lets just worry about getting to the playoffs and hope we catch fire once we get there.....So many things can happen once you get there...

This is not even supposed to be our year......we have a pitching staff full of guys who project to be studs......let them mature and we might be in for a wild and crazy fun next 5 years.

The Reds may suffer the same fate as other ballclubs on a restricted payroll. Success brings other suitors who have bigger pocketbooks. How long will Votto be satisfied with his contract when someday someone will offer him twice what the Reds will offer? Cheap, salary controlled players if they are successful become free agents and attractive to other clubs. Before anyone thinks "dynasty" it is wise to realize that any great player on a payroll restricted team is only destined to be around 4 or so years before they become trade bait or high dollar free agents playing for another team.

Turn Off Ads?