Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Tigers call up catcher Max St. Pierre after 14 seasons in the minor leagues

Tigers call up catcher Max St. Pierre after 14 seasons in the minor leagues

I root for guys like this, you know they have to love the game.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/D...0210?gt1=39002

Max St. Pierre's perseverance has paid off. The Detroit Tigers have added an awfully happy backup catcher.

The 30-year-old rookie was brought up to the big leagues on Wednesday after 14 seasons - spanning 978 games - in the minors. His next at-bat - and manager Jim Leyland promised he'd get one - will be his first in the majors.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Tigers call up catcher Max St. Pierre after 14 seasons in the minor leagues

That's neat. You know he'll be a cult hero the rest of this season in Detroit.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

"And the fact that watching him pitch is like having someone poop on your soul." FCB on Gary Majewski

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

I hope he rips somebody deep first time up. Good for him.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Good for Max St. Pierre! I wish him well.

Love it.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Don't the Braves have one of these stories this year too?

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Didn't get an AB this evening, a little disappointing.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

He started in the minors at 16?
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    It's his 14th season. I thought the same thing and then I couldn't find him in B-R.com. As someone noted, he was 17 when he was drafted.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    It's his 14th season. I thought the same thing and then I couldn't find him in B-R.com. As someone noted, he was 17 when he was drafted.
    here he is:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=stpier001max

I hope that Max has a September to remember!

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Got a hit last night.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

What ever happened to Aaron Holbert?
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Don't the Braves have one of these stories this year too?
    Yes they do and the eerie part is St. Pierre and JC Boscan (The Braves rookie) came up on the same day. The Reds played a tiny part in the Boscan story.

He said he thought about quitting only once, but it was only because he didn’t get much playing time in 2006 in the Brewers’ organization and thought nobody would re-sign him. But the Reds called, and he kept at it, eventually returning to the Braves two years ago.

Cool! Both these guys will probably end up coaching or managing eventually. Great stories!

"Okay you guys, pair up in threes!" --Yogi Berra

Turn Off Ads?