Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: John Sickels on Devin Mesoraco

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

John Sickels on Devin Mesoraco

I meant to post this earlier today but forgot.

Based on what I currently know, I think his improvement is genuine. That's not to say that his development will continue in a linear way. Catchers often have strange development paths, and he could regress next year. But I don't think '10 is a fluke, and his stock has obviously shot up again. I rate him as a Grade B+ prospect currently.
    Full piece:
    http://www.minorleagueball.com/2010/...devin-mesoraco

Re: John Sickels on Devin Mesoraco

I was reading that earlier. While he kinda admits he wrote off Mes too early and says the year is realistic numbers, he still finds ways to allow himself to back track. Ends up saying hes a B+ prospect.

The pride of these guys is really comical to me. I like Sickels, but he seems to be saying 1 thing then finding something else to make it seem like he honestly wasnt that wrong and builds a case for him to recover when hes wrong again.

I agree with GIDP. Sound like to me that Sickels' main agenda was to defend his previous analysis. Kind of like saying yeah I was wrong, but it wasn't my fault. Granted, Devin had a pretty bad year last year, but a player doesn't turn from a terrible prospect to a good one in one season. There had to be signs there and scouts that saw them. I also find it unlikely that a player just completely revamps his swing in one season and suddenly becomes a very good hitter.

My gut feeling is there was not a lot of legwork that went into his original analysis and he is now seeing it blow up in his face. Just my opinion, and probably a very wrong one.

I didnt think he really had any real defensive issues or am I missing something?
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Quote Originally Posted by bubbachunk View Post
    I didnt think he really had any real defensive issues or am I missing something?
    Passed balls...
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Quote Originally Posted by bubbachunk View Post
    Well, it was a small sample of course, but his caught stealing % dropped quite a bit in AAA. Down to 33%. 10 SB and 5 CS.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    Well, it was a small sample of course, but his caught stealing % dropped quite a bit in AAA. Down to 33%. 10 SB and 5 CS.
    I remember one game with DRH pitching they took 3 bases off of him in one inning. Nothing you can do about that.... I might be able to steal on a 68 MPH pitch (clear exaggeration). I wouldn't look much into it.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

On Sickels' scale, a B+ is a pretty strong grade. An A is reserved for those he considers virtual can't-miss successes. In his organizational Top 20s from last winter, there were a number of farm systems -- including some we'd consider pretty decent -- that didn't have anyone above a B+.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    On Sickels' scale, a B+ is a pretty strong grade. An A is reserved for those he considers virtual can't-miss successes. In his organizational Top 20s from last winter, there were a number of farm systems -- including some we'd consider pretty decent -- that didn't have anyone above a B+.
    In Sickels 2010 Prospect book, there were a total of 10 position players/hitters rated higher than a B+ (either A- or A).
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    In Sickels 2010 Prospect book, there were a total of 10 position players/hitters rated higher than a B+ (either A- or A).
    For perspective, in 2008, Bruce was an "A" and both Votto and Cueto were "A-". That same year, Mesoraco got a "B"--but I think it was pretty much only based on his high draft status and a very small sample in the minors.

Here is the original thread. (hat tip to RedLegSuperstar).

And here is Sickels' 2008 take on Mes:

7) Devin Mesoraco, C, Grade B
    .280/.329/.436 for Dayton in the Midwest League. Plate discipline has been shaky, but overall this is good for the pitching-dominated Midwest League.
    Last edited by RedEye; 09-07-2010 at 10:49 AM.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

I feel like a B+ is a pretty fair assessment. He has been awesome this year, but Sickels mentions the historically unpredictable track record of catching prospects. If he would have taken that 1 step further and mentioned the bad record of 1st round picks he would have been spot on.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

I'd written Mes off before the season started. I mean, failed first rounders haven't exactly been rare in the past. He surprised me this season. I still can't help but wonder if he won't eventually be packaged in a trade, but at least if this is the case he now has value.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...ts-chat-92710/
    John Sickels isn't the only one to think 2010 wasn't a fluke for Mesoraco. Bryan Smith of fangraphs said:
    I think [Mesoraco] can stick behind the plate, and I think he can legitimately hit a fastball a long way. I don't think he's ever hitting .302/.377/.587 in the Majors, but then again, he's probably the MVP if he does. He's probably like a .270/.340/.470 hitter in the bigs, which at catcher, is awfully valuable.
    There were multiple mentions of Aroldis Chapman and also a quick mention of Zach Stewart if you're interested in reading the entire chat.
    Last edited by camisadelgolf; 09-27-2010 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...ts-chat-92710/
    John Sickels isn't the only one to think 2010 was a fluke for Mesoraco. Bryan Smith of fangraphs said:

There were multiple mentions of Aroldis Chapman and also a quick mention of Zach Stewart if you're interested in reading the entire chat.
    I didn't read that as thinking Mesoraco is a fluke at all. All he really said was he doesn't see Mez being a .950 hitter in the majors. Does anyone really disagree with that? I sure don't. Very few hitters are able to do that. But that doesn't mean I think he's a fluke.

I think this is a case where he's just being realistic about the translation to major league success. I don't think that's saying he's been a fluke this year. He basically added he would not be surprised if he's an .800 catcher. That's pretty complimentary IMHO.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    I didn't read that as thinking Mesoraco is a fluke at all. All he really said was he doesn't see Mez being a .950 hitter in the majors. Does anyone really disagree with that? I sure don't. Very few hitters are able to do that. But that doesn't mean I think he's a fluke.

I think this is a case where he's just being realistic about the translation to major league success. I don't think that's saying he's been a fluke this year. He basically added he would not be surprised if he's an .800 catcher. That's pretty complimentary IMHO.
    This.

He has Mesoraco as an .810 OPS catcher.... That is pretty elite company. Three catchers were able to top that in 2009 with at least 450 at bats. Only 4 guys over 400 at bats were able to do that.

Turn Off Ads?