Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: John Sickels on Devin Mesoraco

Re: John Sickels on Devin Mesoraco

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Put me down for moving on from Ramon. I'm guessing Hernandez will be back because of his year, but I'd say he's a good bet to disappoint. The staff seems to struggle more often with him back there as welll. I'd still save the bucks for elsewhere and go with Corky for a couple months and then move Mes in when Super Two status is past. The staff will be better with Hanigan and MIller/Mes than it will with Hanigan and Ramon IMO and that will make-up for a reduction in offense for the first couple months. I'd say keeping Ramon around might lead to a reduction in offense as compared to 2010 anyway.
    This.

Any way we could offer Ramon arbitration and he'd turn it down? Would love to get a pick for him.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    This.

Any way we could offer Ramon arbitration and he'd turn it down? Would love to get a pick for him.
    He's a type A free agent, so we may be looking at two picks.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    He's a type A free agent, so we may be looking at two picks.
    I'd offer and if he accepts, deal him at the deadline if Mes is ready. Somebody's bound to be looking for a catcher by July. Might pick up a decent lower level young'un.

May be too much to ask, but it would be nice if Devin's transition to the show is fairly smooth and he can add a pwoer boost to the lineup the second half. If this team stands pat5, the lineup will be in need of serious help when Gomes hits one of his skids and Rolen's boddy starts to casue him more and more problems aroud Aug. 1.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 10-14-2010 at 12:25 AM.

Cruisin' for trouble

If the Reds offer arbitration, no other team will sign Ramon and give up two picks. Hernandez still has value to the team because he can communicate well with Cueto, Volquez and Chapman. I don't see the Reds cutting him loose unless they feel like they can negotiate a lesser deal for him.

Cueto and Volquez do speak english.... Chapman on the other hand most likely is still learning. Do you keep Ramon around for one guy, that may start out in AAA. Not sure if this really factors into bringing him back.

I believe Hanigan speaks Spanish.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    I believe Hanigan speaks Spanish.
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and venture a guess that somewhere along the line, Mes has caught a primiraly spanish speaking pitcher at some point. Its not like he's going out to the mound to discuss politics or the latest breakfast cereal. "keep the ball down", "throw this guy inside", "keep the ball away", "set him up with heat, then finish him off w/ something breaking" all probably translate pretty easy b/w catcher/pitcher in any language.

Speaking spanish is certainly a plus for hernandez, but on the list of priorities of deciding if you should bring him back next season or not, its got rank pretty low.

Also, don't underestimate a Spanish-speaking baseball player's ability to understand baseball English. I'd venture that a lot of the younger Dominican players in the system can speak English better than many American, 'Spanish-speaking' catchers.

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds View Post
    If the Reds offer arbitration, no other team will sign Ramon and give up two picks. Hernandez still has value to the team because he can communicate well with Cueto, Volquez and Chapman. I don't see the Reds cutting him loose unless they feel like they can negotiate a lesser deal for him.
    Plus he's coming off a strong year, which means he'll get a nice payday via arbitration, probably more than his option, and definitely more than he would get via free agency. Offering him arbitration would be very risky.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Hernandez's option is $3.25M. It was vesting option with 120 games played, but he missed that, so it's solely the Reds option.

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/200...i-reds_24.html
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and venture a guess that somewhere along the line, Mes has caught a primiraly spanish speaking pitcher at some point. Its not like he's going out to the mound to discuss politics or the latest breakfast cereal. "keep the ball down", "throw this guy inside", "keep the ball away", "set him up with heat, then finish him off w/ something breaking" all probably translate pretty easy b/w catcher/pitcher in any language.

Speaking spanish is certainly a plus for hernandez, but on the list of priorities of deciding if you should bring him back next season or not, its got rank pretty low.
    Absolutely. This catcher who speaks spanish thing is the most overblown thing I've seen on this board.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Absolutely. This catcher who speaks spanish thing is the most overblown thing I've seen on this board.
    Hmmm....the most? That is quite the statement.

Turn Off Ads?