Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bill Bavasi: Yorman Rodriguez Reds version of Bryce Harper?

Bill Bavasi: Yorman Rodriguez Reds version of Bryce Harper?

From John Fay's blog:

“When I was in Billings, he turned 18. He’s played most of the year at 17. You put him at Moeller High and you wouldn’t have heard of Bryce Harper. At 17 just turning 18, he’s hitting .350 at a high level of rookie ball. When you get those kids at 16, it takes a while to pop the clutch. But once they get going, they’re fun to watch.”
    Read the rest:
    http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...-bryce-harper/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bill Bavasi: Yorman Rodriguez Reds version of Bryce Harper?

Bill Bavasi's words are death.

I know that there' s not a lot of faith in what Bavasi has to say. Nevertheless, this is why I think Yorman has to be a top-three guy in the Reds' system.

Tools-wise, we've all heard from the beginning that he is practically unrivaled. That leaves, perhaps above all things, his ability to put the bat on the baseball. Hitting .350 demonstrates his talent for doing just that, and, for me, puts him at the head of the class among position players who line up in fair territory. I could understand placing Chapman above him, if he's still considered a prospect in another month, because of his very special attributes as a pitcher. I can even see placing Mesoraco ahead of him, because he's a catcher. Beyond that, the only reason to diminish Rodriguez is his age. And that, in turn, is what makes him so remarkable as a prospect.

Does anyone think he will be in Baseball America's Top 100? If so, where? He is young and still in rookie ball, but his performance has been spectacular.

Resident PED Expert

Also as the season has worn down, he has started taking more walks. That in itself lend to the fact he is a uberprospect in the fact he was making midseason adjustments. His power will come eventually. When that does it'll be a matter of months before he is in Cincy.

Carlos Beltran is the MLer that I feel will be his ceiling.

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by mrpotamus View Post
    Does anyone think he will be in Baseball America's Top 100? If so, where? He is young and still in rookie ball, but his performance has been spectacular.
    No. It will be after his full seaon next year I think he will make that list. There are few and far between prospects in the rookie leagues that ever do. The ones who do are Yankee or Red Sox prospects.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I think Yorman has a solid chance at being a top 100 prospect at the tail end, same for Billy Hamilton.

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I think Yorman has a solid chance at being a top 100 prospect at the tail end, same for Billy Hamilton.
    I think Hamilton has a much better shot than does Yorman. He made some incredible strides at Billings this year. I just find it hard to believe that Mesoraco might not make the list based on what some of the "experts" are saying and Yorman and Hamilton do.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    I think Hamilton has a much better shot than does Yorman. He made some incredible strides at Billings this year. I just find it hard to believe that Mesoraco might not make the list based on what some of the "experts" are saying and Yorman and Hamilton do.
    Mesoraco will be a Top 50 prospect.

The speed in this system gets me excited. Yorman has been one of my favorite prospects since we drafted him, and I can not wait to see Billy Hamilton.

Hamilton is a better prospect only because the position he likely plays is easier reach expectations. Although they both share a lot of the same upside.

If Yorman is a true CF, he plays almost as difficult a positon to fill as does Hamilton. I'd argue that if one is on the list, both belong. Add those two to Chapman (top ten in all of baseball), Alonso (likely within the top 75), and Mesoraco, and the Reds should have at least five guys knocking on the Top 100 door.

Alonso probably ends up in the top 50 again because of his 2nd half.

Mes easily top 50

Chapman probably top 5, but likely top 10

Hamilton, Yorman, are probably 90-120 range because of how young and fresh they are.

Who knows im just spit balling.

Quote Originally Posted by NorrisHopper30 View Post
    The speed in this system gets me excited. Yorman has been one of my favorite prospects since we drafted him, and I can not wait to see Billy Hamilton.

Not to be nit picky, but Yorman was signed, not drafted. He was a great signing though!!!!

The whole top 50, top 100 stuff. I have never understood... why do fans really care that much? Rankings don't mean a thing. Prospects will either succeed or not based on talent, fundamentals and work ethic--not because Baseball America says they're a top 50 prospect.

I just don't understand it. It's a novelty and nothing else. People seem to get too worried about subjective stuff.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Turn Off Ads?