Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bill Bavasi: Yorman Rodriguez Reds version of Bryce Harper?

Re: Bill Bavasi: Yorman Rodriguez Reds version of Bryce Harper?

Quote Originally Posted by lidspinner View Post
    I have said this all year....any rankings that do not contain Dave Sappelt and Billy Hamilton are not worth wiping your butt with. Neither player has that "splash" or "bling" that screams "look at me, I am a MLB player".....but both are studs and both are right on their own paths to the Reds......I am not saying they are better than Yonder, Chapman, Yorman or the other handful of players that I consider studs, but they are for sure worthy of top 100 status in MiLB.....and that is an opinion that is almost fact.
    You could probably find 2-4 guys in every team's system to say that about. That's the exact kind of thing I'm referring to. It's funny because insert team name and the testimonies are always the same. 'So and so is a top 100 guy and any ranking without them is bogus.'

Rankings are kind of silly to begin with. They're terribly subjective and completely depend on what someone is looking for. Nevermind how unspecific they are as to whether they're being ranked based on current production, based on talent, ability, potential, likelihood of succeeding in the majors. It's all so incredibly inconsistent. From ranking to ranking the creators rank based on their own criteria. Yet fans subjectively, despite having probably seen less than .001% of the players, gripe about the ranking sets that include or don't include their favorites without knowledge of how the rankings were even compiled and what criteria they were based.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    I agree that other teams have some idea of other teams, but more prospects highly valued likely means more trade value. Another team is much more likely to deal for Top 100 prospects and trumpet that for fans than non-Top 100 prosects.

(Example from this year: Minnesota C Ramos was, by all reports, the big prospect offered for major Twin holes. He's not played well all year. I doubt the Twins could do that if he weren't universally ranked highly.)
    The teams wanting Ramos would base their opinion on him based on their own internal rankng of him. There is a reason he's a Top 100 guy, and most teams would likely have thought so. They want him not becuase BA has him ranked highly, but becuase they have him ranked high.

They traded Ramos for Matt Capps. So someone clearly didnt think he had much value.

Turn Off Ads?