Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: thank goodness for the Holiday

thank goodness for the Holiday

Matt Holiday I mean....the guy makes Jonny Gomes look like a young Barry Bonds out in LF...also Aaron Miles finally got to help the Reds win a game...not exactly like he drew it up in the spring!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: thank goodness for the Holiday

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Holliday is an above average defender in left.

I thought about posting something very similar...Holiday may very well be a good LF by the numbers...but he often looks very very bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Holliday is an above average defender in left.
    Ehhhhhhh..... I don't think he's Gomes-level bad (who is?), but Holliday has shot the Cards in the foot on more than one occasion the last few years.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Ehhhhhhh..... I don't think he's Gomes-level bad (who is?), but Holliday has shot the Cards in the foot on more than one occasion the last few years.
    That doesn't mean he's not above average.

He's been consistently above average over the years. A bad play/game/week doesn't change that.

UZR has always shown Holliday to be an above average defender. But, man, I don't see it. It seems like every time I watch him he's screwing up a play. He's not Gomes bad but he's not above average from what I've seen. I remember watching him badly misjudge a flyball in the 2007 one game playoff that nearly lost the game for the Rockies. Then he dropped that line drive to cost the Cardinals a game in the NLDS last year. Then today he screwed up a couple other plays, and there have been others too. It looks to me like he has trouble judging balls off the bat. Maybe I'm just catching him on his bad days but I haven't been overly impressed with his defense.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 09-05-2010 at 12:56 AM.

Sometimes, it seems like some fielders can make 50 mistakes and only 5 to come back to bite them, and others can make 5 mistakes and all 5 bite them. Baseball's weird that way. I don't see enough of Holiday to know if he's one of the second group or if he just isn't that good, but most teams seem to have 1 guy who's terrible but gets away with it and another guy who's good but never gets away with any mistake at all.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

I don't think he's a bad defender. After all, he got a leg up on that one ball.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Eh, he's a LF. Most of them are bad. If they could field, they'd be playing another position.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

The Reds had three doubles in that game and ALL THREE could have/should have been caught by Holliday. Maybe he just had a bad game but it was a REALLY bad game. And I'm grateful for it.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Well...Holliday has only been a Cardinal for a little over a year. So if he has hurt the Cards over the last few years, then it must have been making good plays in Colorado.

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    Sometimes, it seems like some fielders can make 50 mistakes and only 5 to come back to bite them, and others can make 5 mistakes and all 5 bite them. Baseball's weird that way. I don't see enough of Holiday to know if he's one of the second group or if he just isn't that good, but most teams seem to have 1 guy who's terrible but gets away with it and another guy who's good but never gets away with any mistake at all.
    Most of the time Holliday makes the play. When he doesn't make the play, it usually comes at a bad time and makes all of the highlight shows.

"So Fla Red"

The gloating threads don't seem to work out too well... One swing and the game was over.

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    The gloating threads don't seem to work out too well... One swing and the game was over.
    The gods of baseball frown on cockiness and complacency.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Turn Off Ads?