Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Chris Robinson Calls Taylor Swift "Horrible"

Re: Chris Robinson Calls Taylor Swift "Horrible"

One of my buddies has a theory and I am pretty much in agreement with it. You tend to like the music that you listened to in Jr. High and High School. For me personally that fits the bill. There have been a couple of bands that I have found out about more recently that I have liked, but the majority of the music I listen to was the same kind of stuff I listened to during my late teens.

Music is music. You like what you like and don't like what you don't like. To me the title of this thread is ironic. One person may think Taylor Swift is horrible, but there are a great number of people out there who like her stuff. Is there anything wrong with that?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Alice in Chains is the only only of those groups listed that I had even heard of. It tells me enough about the rest of them. Either they all hated each other, had some serious drug issues (maybe both), or just weren't very good at appealing to the masses and that last part isn't the fault of MTV. I have a ton of cd's from bands that never have been on MTV and never would even if they still showed videos all the time. They are never on the radio and never will be. It isn't MTV's fault, they just don't play music that appeals to the masses. That is their fault, not someone elses. And there is nothing wrong with it, but lets not blame the fact that large groups of people don't listen to you on the fact that MTV doesn't play you.
    No judging going on here, I'll bet you haven't heard of many of the great bands that were around when you were a kid eh?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    One of my buddies has a theory and I am pretty much in agreement with it. You tend to like the music that you listened to in Jr. High and High School. For me personally that fits the bill. There have been a couple of bands that I have found out about more recently that I have liked, but the majority of the music I listen to was the same kind of stuff I listened to during my late teens.
    I couldn't be more different. I was a classical snob as a teenager and discovered the great rock music of my 90s youth after the fact. I'm glad I did and I am now into indie and alternative music big time. I find something new to enjoy all the time and I'm happy because of it.

Different strokes for different folks
    And so on, and so on and scooby-dooby-doo
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    I couldn't be more different. I was a classical snob as a teenager and discovered the great rock music of my 90s youth after the fact. I'm glad I did and I am now into indie and alternative music big time. I find something new to enjoy all the time and I'm happy because of it.
    Growing up I was in about 6th grade with the grunge scene really exploded. Some of my first CD's were "Nevermind", Pearl Jam "Ten", Nirvana "Unplugged", Green Day "Dookie", Metallica the black album, and The Offspring "Smash". To this day I still love those CD's but my music taste really hasn't changed much. I still like that grunge/rock/alternative genre with a little country mixed in. As I got a little older I started to like Bruce Springstein and some classical rock like The Who. But if you were to ask me my favorite bands right now they would be Pearl Jam, Springsteen, Foo Fighters, Gaslight Anthem, Rise Against, and Kenny Chesney (throwing in a little country). Musically not much different from what I liked as a teen.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    No judging going on here, I'll bet you haven't heard of many of the great bands that were around when you were a kid eh?
    Maybe not, but the point still stands.... if they had mass appeal, I would have heard of them. The fact that Kurt Cobain blew his brains out isn't the reason I never heard of them, the fact that the masses didn't like their music is.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Growing up I was in about 6th grade with the grunge scene really exploded. Some of my first CD's were "Nevermind", Pearl Jam "Ten", Nirvana "Unplugged", Green Day "Dookie", Metallica the black album, and The Offspring "Smash". To this day I still love those CD's but my music taste really hasn't changed much. I still like that grunge/rock/alternative genre with a little country mixed in. As I got a little older I started to like Bruce Springstein and some classical rock like The Who. But if you were to ask me my favorite bands right now they would be Pearl Jam, Springsteen, Foo Fighters, Gaslight Anthem, Rise Against, and Kenny Chesney (throwing in a little country). Musically not much different from what I liked as a teen.
    Just curious, I'm new to Gaslight Anthem, but there seems to be a strong Springsteen influence on "American Slang". Am I reading this right?
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Maybe not, but the point still stands.... if they had mass appeal, I would have heard of them. The fact that Kurt Cobain blew his brains out isn't the reason I never heard of them, the fact that the masses didn't like their music is.
    And lord knows if the masses didn't like them they were probably on drugs, didn't like each other or they sucked eh?

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    Just curious, I'm new to Gaslight Anthem, but there seems to be a strong Springsteen influence on "American Slang". Am I reading this right?
    A little. I think Gaslight has a strong "punk" sound to a lot of their music. I think that is what separates them from Bruce.

I do think there is more of a Boss influence in "America Slang" than there was in "The 59 Sound" And FWIW I like "The 59 Sound" better.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    And lord knows if the masses didn't like them they were probably on drugs, didn't like each other or they sucked eh?
    No, but that is generally why bands break up. Happy bands without issues don't break up.

No, but that is generally why bands break up. Happy bands without issues don't break up.
    It isn't as simple as that.
    for example, one of the bands another poster listed, Mother love bone:
    Mother Love Bone was an American Grunge band that formed in Seattle, Washington in 1988. The band was active from 1988 to 1990. Frontman Andrew Wood's personality and compositions helped to catapult the group to the top of the burgeoning late 1980s/early 1990s Seattle music scene. Wood died only days before the scheduled release of the band's debut album, Apple, thus ending the group's hopes of success. The album was finally released a few months later. Although Mother Love Bone is to this day remembered by many as a very talented band in its own right, its legacy, for some, is overshadowed by Wood's death and the bands that its former members would later form.
    two other members of that group were Jeff Ament and Stone Gossard. They went on to found a little band you might have heard of: Mookie Blaylock

Most bands have issues. Some times they can work through them. I'd say success is just as often a reason bands break up as anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    A little...

The Gaslight Anthem frequently quotes lyrics from Springsteen and other artists. The "Mary" mentioned in their song "Great Expectations" is supposed to be the same Mary from "Thunder Road."

Clearly, Bruce digs them.

YouTube - The Gaslight Anthem & Bruce Springsteen - The '59 Sound (PROSHOT)
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 09-20-2010 at 06:42 PM.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Did I hear Nirvana didn't appeal to the masses?...no way no how. They were staples on MTV. Heck, one of the first times I heard their music was on John Garabedian's Open House Party radio show. I remember in the early 90's hearing Nirvana, Pearl Jam (Daughter), and even before that AC/DC (Moneytalks) on regular rotation on pop stations. Different time back then.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Creeds first CD wasnt all that bad.
    If you heard one Creed song, you heard every Creed song. Same with Nickelback. They're cookie cutter bands.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    If you heard one Creed song, you heard every Creed song. Same with Nickelback. They're cookie cutter bands.
    The first one wasnt the same Creed.

Turn Off Ads?