Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris Robinson Calls Taylor Swift "Horrible"

Re: Chris Robinson Calls Taylor Swift "Horrible"

Appreciate Hendrix.... a lot, think he's a bad song writer 90% of the time, loved his Like a Rolling Stone cover from teh late 60's....I did see Bob Segar open for Black Sabbath in 1976 and BLOW them off the stage.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

.....Marx wrote Right Here Waiting in 15 minutes- perhaps it shows but it's a classic pop song.

It is as simple a song to play on the piano as you'll find, but again it holds as much meaning for me as anything some of the greats have done.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Willie has passed the age that alive show does him justice, it's played out most of the time, medleys same stuff in the same slot..etc. Even 10 years ago it was great, now... meh.

I've heard Dylan shows were I wasn't sure what he was singing, others I could hear every word he's famous for messing with his arrangements and having a bad live voice.

Personally I don't give a rats behind about the voice live, it's a different world than the studio, I just want good songs and all that crap.

Which of course is all subjective.
    For me Willie was never good live because he refuses to sing the songs the way he recorded them. I like to sing aling and you can't with him.

It's really annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    .....Marx wrote Right Here Waiting in 15 minutes- perhaps it shows but it's a classic pop song.

It is as simple a song to play on the piano as you'll find, but again it holds as much meaning for me as anything some of the greats have done.
    Wouldn't know it if it was playing right now

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    For me Willie was never good live because he refuses to sing the songs the way he recorded them. I like to sing aling and you can't with him.

It's really annoying.
    Thats simply the worst. Its one thing if its a live version and you can replay over and over on your MP3 player, but its a shock to the system to hear some random version of a song. Really takes the vibe out of the song.

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I'm saying that she can't sing. To me that is a big stumbling block to being a singer.
    Never stopped Neil Young or Bob Dylan.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

The real reason Chris is upset: She is young, blonde, thin and NOT interested in him. He is having a tough time replacing Kate Hudson in his life.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain13 View Post
    or Tom Waits

Quote Originally Posted by Captain13 View Post
    Never stopped a lot of bad vocalists from fronting great bands-especially from a live performance standpoint-but a bad vocalist who strums a guitar is really just a songwriter unless a record company thinks they're air-brushable enough...
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Never stopped a lot of bad vocalists from fronting great bands-especially from a live performance standpoint-but a bad vocalist who strums a guitar is really just a songwriter unless a record company thinks they're air-brushable enough...
    Maybe.

It's certainly a part of the music industry.

But Swift has chops others of her ilk (pop music mavens) don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Swift doesn't use Auto-Tune.
    I'm not a Swift fan, but I give her credit for that right there. Auto-Tune is turning me off most pop music today. It's overused so much now that it seems everyone needs at least one song where they sound like an Auto-bot, much like every rock band in the '80s felt like the second single off their album had to be a power ballad.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Maybe.

It's certainly a part of the music industry.

But Swift has chops others of her ilk (pop music mavens) don't.
    Truthfully, it's kind of jerky to be critical of artists at least it seems really easy to cross a line of fairness.

Swift is not my cup of tea. I think of the voice as an instrument and I think Swift sings like Neil Young plays guitar (not well IMHO). Neil Young has clearly had a long career and enriched the lives of many people and his voice and his guitar work somehow.

It's probably more important to have something to say with your voice... and maybe it's easy to conflate Swift with the myriad of her "colleagues" who are simply wiggling images with engineered vocals. Clearly, Swift has something to say at least as her music isn't just titillation to a beat.

But ya, she's not my cup of tea. But then again Ginger Baker would say that what I call tea is actually gnat's pee....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Since we are talking about how music can differ between people.

Occasionally someone writes something that makes you stop and listen to it again because you can't believe you actually like it.

For me it is Eminem...
    YouTube - Eminen-I'm Not Afraid (Clean Version) 2010 Single

and yes careful to find a "clean version".
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I'm not a Swift fan, but I give her credit for that right there. Auto-Tune is turning me off most pop music today. It's overused so much now that it seems everyone needs at least one song where they sound like an Auto-bot, much like every rock band in the '80s felt like the second single off their album had to be a power ballad.
    I don't hold it against most pop artists for using Auto Tune because it's the producers of these labels going out and signing models that can't sing as to why they're on them in the first place. I think Auto Tune is so incredibly overused, but a lot of the pop singers out today wouldn't be in the business if not for their looks and Auto Tune. It's just a way to market the Justin Bieber / Katy Perry types without needing any regard for whether they're truly talented enough to make it on their own voice.

That's not to say some of these people (like Bieber, Perry, Rihanna, Cyrus, etc.) aren't good musicians that are good at writing music, performing at shows, dealing with the celebrity profile, etc., but I just don't critique someone because of their use of the automated tools of the trade.

Robinson's point about Swift holds some weight, even if he's a little overboard. He's right that the automation of some of these singers is overboard and not about what music is supposed to be. I think Swift is a good musician, but not a good singer. And there's a huge distinction between the two.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

All I know is this - Chris Robinson and family are a screwed up mess of talentless jerkies.

On the other side, Taylor has been defended by the best ears in Nashville to me personally. This is first hand info. I don't know anything about Taylor Swift, but the real cats look to her as being something to root for. I could say more about other Nashville figures but will not...

Turn Off Ads?