Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris Robinson Calls Taylor Swift "Horrible"

Re: Chris Robinson Calls Taylor Swift "Horrible"

I once read that 85% of country songs are written by the same 5 songwriters in Nashville. I don't know if that's true or not, but I do know this: Rock > Country.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Robinson's point about Swift holds some weight, even if he's a little overboard. He's right that the automation of some of these singers is overboard and not about what music is supposed to be. I think Swift is a good musician, but not a good singer. And there's a huge distinction between the two.
    Swift isn't about automation. She uses the same typically country band as do most Nashvillians. Rhythm guitar (usually acoustic), lead guitar, bass, and drums.

Occasionally, she'll branch out into harmonica, banjo, and piano. Rarely will she use a full symphonic arrangement.

As to her pipes, sure, she ain't Patsy Cline. Or Grace Slick.

But she's on par with Dolly Parton and Loretta Lynn.

And she'll get better with age.

La Dolce Vita

wonder if she'll write thousands of songs like dolly?
    teach tolerance.

Quote Originally Posted by BigKlu View Post
    Yet George Strait has been one of Taylor Swifts biggest supporters in the country community.
    Very good point. I'm a country fan myself and Strait is my absolute all-time favorite (I have the George Strait CD case and then I have the everyone else case) and he definitely has helped out and endorsed the careers of several young acts out there right now. Dierks Bentley toured with him for quite some time and he was instrumental in getting Bentley noticed in Nashville. Swift toured with George as well I believe and he's definitely endorsed her on several occasions. While I don't care that much for most of his music, he's also done a song with Kenny Chesney.

My point is that while there's not much doubt that Strait is one of the few "classic country" artists around (it's pretty much him and Alan Jackson right now since Clint Black isn't doing much currently), there are a lot of different takes on the genre and certainly there is room out there for most of them. Swift is one take on country music, and for what it's worth I think she's very talented. It seems strange to me that there seem to be a lot of people out there taking shots at her for no real reason.

Personally I don't care of a lot of the new stuff out now, but music is incredibly subjective so for me it's a lot of "to each his own." I don't like all of this so-called crossover stuff though, I don't really care to see the likes of Uncle Cracker, Sheryl Crow and Kid Rock suddenly declare themselves country and get played on country radio. It works both ways though, as I think a lot of artists that broke in as country have now morphed into pop acts (Keith Urban, Carrie Underwood, and Shania Twain when she was around, to name a few). That's all well and good I suppose, but it's led to a watered down version of country music where a lot of young, innovative acts are being overlooked because of the success some of these crossovers are having. Some of the newcomers I like, such as Dierks Bentley, the Zac Brown Band and Easton Corbin, have a much more difficult time getting deals now due to the fact that record labels are looking for the next big crossover star. They're passing on the more tradional-leaning country artists and that's where I think the biggest issue lies because eventually there just won't be many of those performers left.
    "It's still a long way to the top if we want to rock'n'roll, but at least they dumped the tuba player."
    --M2

Are any of you fans of the Drive-By Truckers? They're considered "alt-country." I absolutely love "The Dirty South," and most of their heavier, southern rock tunes. Honest, earthy songwriting, and a nice, edgy sound. Here is one of their best songs:

YouTube - Drive-By Truckers - 'Never Gonna Change'
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 09-13-2010 at 10:55 PM.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I am encouraged by how many people in this thread are bringing up the subjectivity of music in their responses. I love music, and I love a lot of different types for different reasons. Discussions of why one enjoys or does not enjoy certain artists interest me, but that enjoyment stops abruptly when it turns into calling someone untalented or "horrible" just because they are not "what you like". It seems this in general is a much more level-headed discussion.

Taylor's music is "just there" for me personally also. Some of it is catchy to my ear and my daughter likes some of it, so I don't take any great strides to ignore it. But I certainly could never call her untalented. She isn't the best singer of all time (that's Martina to me!) or the best writer of all time or the best performer of all time but she is out there doing it and making a bunch of people happy while doing it. I can understand a 44 yr-old guy not really digging her songs because of the subject matter (note : I am a 44 yr-old guy!) but I can appreciate what her songs might mean to those in the target group for her songs. And quite honestly, subject matter aside, some of it is catchy, and as long as I am in that "catchy song" mood instead of the "introspective" mood or the "fired up" mood, they do just fine for me.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Some people are just haters. Simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Some people are just haters. Simple as that.
    Yeah, but those posts 'hating' Swift have been entertaining, if nothing else.

Ella Fitzgerald couldn't get a recording contract today. That's what Auto Tune says to me. I'm not trying to be a curmudgeon, but give this a listen- a live recording of the Mills Brothers. I've heard this particular one many times and I'm still struck by how perfectly they sang together. You can't find real voices in pop music anymore.

YouTube - Mills Brothers - Glow Worm (live, 1957)
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan View Post

Taylor's music is "just there" for me personally also. Some of it is catchy to my ear and my daughter likes some of it, so I don't take any great strides to ignore it. But I certainly could never call her untalented. She isn't the best singer of all time (that's Martina to me!) or the best writer of all time or the best performer of all time but she is out there doing it and making a bunch of people happy while doing it. I can understand a 44 yr-old guy not really digging her songs because of the subject matter (note : I am a 44 yr-old guy!) but I can appreciate what her songs might mean to those in the target group for her songs.
    I assume you are referring to Martina McBride. To paraphrase Dizzy Dean, I don't know if Martina is the best singer of all time, but she is "amongst 'em."
    I agree with your point that certain artists can appeal to you just because of the mood you are in or the subject matter of the songs. I like some artists whom I know are objectively not that great, but I like to listen to them anyway.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Taylor Swift sells alot of records.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Are any of you fans of the Drive-By Truckers? They're considered "alt-country." I absolutely love "The Dirty South," and most of their heavier, southern rock tunes. Honest, earthy songwriting, and a nice, edgy sound. Here is one of their best songs:

YouTube - Drive-By Truckers - 'Never Gonna Change'
    Yep, they're pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Yes, yes she does. And despite the 'who is Chris Robinson' talk, the Black Crowes did too. Something like 30+ million.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    So did Creed.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    So did Creed.
    Ha! Best. Response. Ever.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Turn Off Ads?