Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast
Results 121 to 135 of 184

Thread: Chris Robinson Calls Taylor Swift "Horrible"

  1. #121
    Tired of talk. Win! Joseph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Commonwealth
    Posts
    8,354

    Re: Chris Robinson Calls Taylor Swift "Horrible"

    Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    For all intents and purposes the music industry and MTV died April 5, 1994 with a shotgun blast to the head.

    At least I still have CD's and youtube so I don't have to watch any of this current crap. And, I'm only in my mid 20's, so it's not like I'm old.
    Kurt Cobain wasn't exactly MTVs target or featured performer. I was his target audience and he was huge to me once upon a time, however there was lots good before him and lots good since him.

    Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #122
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    875

    Re: Chris Robinson Calls Taylor Swift "Horrible"

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Yep, because Kurt Cobain was music and without him things fell apart....

    There is plenty of good music out there still.
    His death was the end of the last musical movement that meant anything to me. I pretty much hate everything on the radio now.

    In my car the only station I listen to, outside of 700 for the Reds, is the alternative station on satellite radio that only plays music from 89-96 or a classic rock station that will play stuff from the 60s and 70s from Dylan, the Stones, the beatles etc...

    It's not just Nirvana, I like everything from that era from Hope Sandoval to Alice in Chains to Mudhoney to Mother Love Bone.

    Now, music, like MTV is just a wasteland.
    Last edited by NeilHamburger; 09-19-2010 at 05:13 PM.

  4. #123
    Churlish Johnny Footstool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Olathe, KS
    Posts
    13,789

    Re: Chris Robinson Calls Taylor Swift "Horrible"

    Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    For all intents and purposes the music industry and MTV died April 5, 1994 with a shotgun blast to the head.
    Nah, MTV developed a cancerous tumor on May 21, 1992, when "The Real World" premiered.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

  5. #124
    The rest is drama. marcshoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    In the woods, with a shovel
    Posts
    5,149

    Re: Chris Robinson Calls Taylor Swift "Horrible"

    Yep.

    I do think music in general is pretty healthy now, what with people like Avett Brothers, Black Keys, Arcade Fire, etc., it's just not filling the airwaves.

  6. #125
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Re: Chris Robinson Calls Taylor Swift "Horrible"

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Nah, MTV developed a cancerous tumor on May 21, 1992, when "The Real World" premiered.
    Hard to fault them for the Real World if you ask me. You might hate reality TV, but the creation of the Real World was a huge huge moment in television history.

  7. #126
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Re: Chris Robinson Calls Taylor Swift "Horrible"

    Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    Yep.

    I do think music in general is pretty healthy now, what with people like Avett Brothers, Black Keys, Arcade Fire, etc., it's just not filling the airwaves.
    The internet has boomed a whole new subculture where talent has so many ways to travel other than just being connected to a scene.

    For example I wouldnt have know about the Black Keys when I did a few years ago, if it wasnt for some video game I played with a kid from Atlanta.

  8. #127
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,238

    Re: Chris Robinson Calls Taylor Swift "Horrible"

    Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    His death was the end of the last musical movement that meant anything to me. I pretty much hate everything on the radio now.

    In my car the only station I listen to, outside of 700 for the Reds, is the alternative station on satellite radio that only plays music from 89-96 or a classic rock station that will play stuff from the 60s and 70s from Dylan, the Stones, the beatles etc...

    It's not just Nirvana, I like everything from that era from Hope Sandoval to Alice in Chains to Mudhoney to Mother Love Bone.

    Now, music, like MTV is just a wasteland.
    Well I hate to break it to you, but there are people out there who enjoy music other than you.

    And if those other bands were truly worth their salt, they would have stuck around. Instead, they faded away. That wasn't because of MTV.

  9. #128
    Churlish Johnny Footstool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Olathe, KS
    Posts
    13,789

    Re: Chris Robinson Calls Taylor Swift "Horrible"

    Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Hard to fault them for the Real World if you ask me. You might hate reality TV, but the creation of the Real World was a huge huge moment in television history.
    Yes, but it was a huge turn for the worse.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

  10. #129
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Re: Chris Robinson Calls Taylor Swift "Horrible"

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Yes, but it was a huge turn for the worse.
    What other people did with it isnt really to be blamed on the creator.

  11. #130
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    12,638

    Re: Chris Robinson Calls Taylor Swift "Horrible"

    Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    What other people did with it isnt really to be blamed on the creator.
    Reality television was/is rotten from the very start. "The Real World," even in it's early incarnation, was no different than any other reality show in the key awfulness components.

    Sure, various networks have attempted to hit new lows along the way, but let's not pretend the genre was anything other than a voyeuristic mess right from the start.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

  12. #131
    Churlish Johnny Footstool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Olathe, KS
    Posts
    13,789

    Re: Chris Robinson Calls Taylor Swift "Horrible"

    Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Reality television was/is rotten from the very start. "The Real World," even in it's early incarnation, was no different than any other reality show in the key awfulness components.

    Sure, various networks have attempted to hit new lows along the way, but let's not pretend the genre was anything other than a voyeuristic mess right from the start.
    And not all that "real," in the sense that the producers of the show engineered many of the situations the cast got into.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

  13. #132
    Member redsfandan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,562

    Re: Chris Robinson Calls Taylor Swift "Horrible"

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Well I hate to break it to you, but there are people out there who enjoy music other than you.

    And if those other bands were truly worth their salt, they would have stuck around. Instead, they faded away. That wasn't because of MTV.
    So, why Doug? Why didn't they stick around?

    Alice in Chains is actually still around but most musical acts just don't last 20+ years. Hell, alot of them don't last a decade. That doesn't mean that they weren't "worth their salt" Doug. I bet most of the acts that you listen to won't be around for 20+ years either. Would you say they're not good because of that?
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

  14. #133
    We Need Our Myths reds1869's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Overlooking GABP
    Posts
    4,464

    Re: Chris Robinson Calls Taylor Swift "Horrible"

    Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    Yep.

    I do think music in general is pretty healthy now, what with people like Avett Brothers, Black Keys, Arcade Fire, etc., it's just not filling the airwaves.
    I agree with you completely. The music world isn't hurting; the music industry is. Small labels are where the action is right now.

  15. #134
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,627

    Re: Chris Robinson Calls Taylor Swift "Horrible"

    Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    So, why Doug? Why didn't they stick around?

    Alice in Chains is actually still around but most musical acts just don't last 20+ years. Hell, alot of them don't last a decade. That doesn't mean that they weren't "worth their salt" Doug. I bet most of the acts that you listen to won't be around for 20+ years either. Would you say they're not good because of that?
    Yep, the fact is music is a hard business and being present on national media is not the only barometer for success, otherwise there would be no Sun- Ra, Taj Mahal, Albert Collins, David Lydley, Ben Lee, Calexico, Guided By Voices, etc....

    Worth their salt?

    Depends on how much salt one likes I guess.

  16. #135
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,238

    Re: Chris Robinson Calls Taylor Swift "Horrible"

    Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    So, why Doug? Why didn't they stick around?

    Alice in Chains is actually still around but most musical acts just don't last 20+ years. Hell, alot of them don't last a decade. That doesn't mean that they weren't "worth their salt" Doug. I bet most of the acts that you listen to won't be around for 20+ years either. Would you say they're not good because of that?
    Alice in Chains is the only only of those groups listed that I had even heard of. It tells me enough about the rest of them. Either they all hated each other, had some serious drug issues (maybe both), or just weren't very good at appealing to the masses and that last part isn't the fault of MTV. I have a ton of cd's from bands that never have been on MTV and never would even if they still showed videos all the time. They are never on the radio and never will be. It isn't MTV's fault, they just don't play music that appeals to the masses. That is their fault, not someone elses. And there is nothing wrong with it, but lets not blame the fact that large groups of people don't listen to you on the fact that MTV doesn't play you.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25