Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Chris Robinson Calls Taylor Swift "Horrible"

Re: Chris Robinson Calls Taylor Swift "Horrible"

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    For all intents and purposes the music industry and MTV died April 5, 1994 with a shotgun blast to the head.

At least I still have CD's and youtube so I don't have to watch any of this current crap. And, I'm only in my mid 20's, so it's not like I'm old.
    Kurt Cobain wasn't exactly MTVs target or featured performer. I was his target audience and he was huge to me once upon a time, however there was lots good before him and lots good since him.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Yep, because Kurt Cobain was music and without him things fell apart....

There is plenty of good music out there still.
    His death was the end of the last musical movement that meant anything to me. I pretty much hate everything on the radio now.

In my car the only station I listen to, outside of 700 for the Reds, is the alternative station on satellite radio that only plays music from 89-96 or a classic rock station that will play stuff from the 60s and 70s from Dylan, the Stones, the beatles etc...

It's not just Nirvana, I like everything from that era from Hope Sandoval to Alice in Chains to Mudhoney to Mother Love Bone.

Now, music, like MTV is just a wasteland.
    Last edited by NeilHamburger; 09-19-2010 at 05:13 PM.

For all intents and purposes the music industry and MTV died April 5, 1994 with a shotgun blast to the head.
    Nah, MTV developed a cancerous tumor on May 21, 1992, when "The Real World" premiered.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Yep.

I do think music in general is pretty healthy now, what with people like Avett Brothers, Black Keys, Arcade Fire, etc., it's just not filling the airwaves.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Nah, MTV developed a cancerous tumor on May 21, 1992, when "The Real World" premiered.
    Hard to fault them for the Real World if you ask me. You might hate reality TV, but the creation of the Real World was a huge huge moment in television history.

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    Yep.

I do think music in general is pretty healthy now, what with people like Avett Brothers, Black Keys, Arcade Fire, etc., it's just not filling the airwaves.
    The internet has boomed a whole new subculture where talent has so many ways to travel other than just being connected to a scene.

For example I wouldnt have know about the Black Keys when I did a few years ago, if it wasnt for some video game I played with a kid from Atlanta.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

His death was the end of the last musical movement that meant anything to me. I pretty much hate everything on the radio now.

In my car the only station I listen to, outside of 700 for the Reds, is the alternative station on satellite radio that only plays music from 89-96 or a classic rock station that will play stuff from the 60s and 70s from Dylan, the Stones, the beatles etc...

It's not just Nirvana, I like everything from that era from Hope Sandoval to Alice in Chains to Mudhoney to Mother Love Bone.

Now, music, like MTV is just a wasteland.
    Well I hate to break it to you, but there are people out there who enjoy music other than you.

And if those other bands were truly worth their salt, they would have stuck around. Instead, they faded away. That wasn't because of MTV.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Hard to fault them for the Real World if you ask me. You might hate reality TV, but the creation of the Real World was a huge huge moment in television history.
    Yes, but it was a huge turn for the worse.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Yes, but it was a huge turn for the worse.
    What other people did with it isnt really to be blamed on the creator.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    What other people did with it isnt really to be blamed on the creator.
    Reality television was/is rotten from the very start. "The Real World," even in it's early incarnation, was no different than any other reality show in the key awfulness components.

Sure, various networks have attempted to hit new lows along the way, but let's not pretend the genre was anything other than a voyeuristic mess right from the start.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Reality television was/is rotten from the very start. "The Real World," even in it's early incarnation, was no different than any other reality show in the key awfulness components.

Sure, various networks have attempted to hit new lows along the way, but let's not pretend the genre was anything other than a voyeuristic mess right from the start.
    And not all that "real," in the sense that the producers of the show engineered many of the situations the cast got into.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Well I hate to break it to you, but there are people out there who enjoy music other than you.

And if those other bands were truly worth their salt, they would have stuck around. Instead, they faded away. That wasn't because of MTV.
    So, why Doug? Why didn't they stick around?

Alice in Chains is actually still around but most musical acts just don't last 20+ years. Hell, alot of them don't last a decade. That doesn't mean that they weren't "worth their salt" Doug. I bet most of the acts that you listen to won't be around for 20+ years either. Would you say they're not good because of that?

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    Yep.

I agree with you completely. The music world isn't hurting; the music industry is. Small labels are where the action is right now.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post

Alice in Chains is actually still around but most musical acts just don't last 20+ years. Hell, alot of them don't last a decade. That doesn't mean that they weren't "worth their salt" Doug. I bet most of the acts that you listen to won't be around for 20+ years either. Would you say they're not good because of that?
    Yep, the fact is music is a hard business and being present on national media is not the only barometer for success, otherwise there would be no Sun- Ra, Taj Mahal, Albert Collins, David Lydley, Ben Lee, Calexico, Guided By Voices, etc....

Worth their salt?

Depends on how much salt one likes I guess.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post

Alice in Chains is the only only of those groups listed that I had even heard of. It tells me enough about the rest of them. Either they all hated each other, had some serious drug issues (maybe both), or just weren't very good at appealing to the masses and that last part isn't the fault of MTV. I have a ton of cd's from bands that never have been on MTV and never would even if they still showed videos all the time. They are never on the radio and never will be. It isn't MTV's fault, they just don't play music that appeals to the masses. That is their fault, not someone elses. And there is nothing wrong with it, but lets not blame the fact that large groups of people don't listen to you on the fact that MTV doesn't play you.

Turn Off Ads?