Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Yonder Alonso = Dan Driessen Part Deux?

Yonder Alonso = Dan Driessen Part Deux?

The year is 1976 and it is game four of the BRM's second and final world series championship. I am 10 years old.

I hear the TV announcer's talking about Dan Driessen (playing DH) after he draws a walk. They are saying that Driessen is the reason the Reds are considering trading Tony Perez... they want to find a place for Driessen in the everyday lineup.

I have always remebered that day vividly as even at 10 and we were about to be World Champions again, I somehow felt that it was all coming to an end.
    Tony Perez was not my favorite Red... in fact he was not in my top five (I was a distant relative of Rose by a cousin's marraige so naturally he came first, Bench second and Davey Concepcion took third; Morgan and Geronimo rounded out the top five). However, I knew that he was part of the team. However, i also thought that Driessen was a critical member of the team and I didn't want him traded either.

As I think about our issues with Joey and Yonder, I have overwhelming feelings of dread and deja vu. I don't think we will ever let Joey walk, but I don't want to trade Yonder. I want him on the bench. I want him to be the guy that every announcer and sports writer complains about... they guy that they say would start on all but a handful of MLB teams... the guy that the Reds foolishly waste on the bench. The player that Reds fans screamed for whenever Tony appeared merely mortal.

I think Dan Driessen on the Bench is a critical part of what made the BRM dominant. I want Yonder on our Bench. I don't want him out of position in LF... I am actually pretty excited about a Bruce, Stubbs, Heisey outfield for a few years. This team has made our pitchers great through excellent defense, so why mess with that?

Instead, let Yonder be next year's Miguel Cairo... I know, I know, he cannot play the other IF positions like Cairo, but that will be OCab's job next year with Janish as the starter. Yonder will take over as bench hitter extraordinaire... the guy who comes in and goes 2-4 with 2 RBIs when Joey needs a break... of DH's when we are in interleague play... the possiblities are endless.

Whatever we do... don't let an abundance of talent at a single postion force our hand... I think that is why we have lost players like Konerko, Hoffman, Wetteland, and many others. Fans and sportswriters hate those type of abundances... but can you name a dynasty without them?

Also, in every trade I have ever heard Alonso mentioned, we are always giving up more players than our trading partners. I think the danger is that any player that is blocked on the MLB level is immediately susecptible to being undervalued. I guess in summary... In Walt I Trust... I just hope that even if Yonder starts off hitting .350 for the Bats next year that, rather than us fans clamoring for Walt to trade him for a LF or SP... that we allow Walt to pull him up and put him on the bench... even if it seems like a waste to us... I want that "waste" to push us back to the golden age.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Yonder Alonso = Dan Driessen Part Deux?

Yonder Alonso - Left Field ?????

Quote Originally Posted by CrosleyField View Post
    Yonder Alonso - Left Field ?????
    CF, as I stated, "I don't want him out of position in LF... I am actually pretty excited about a Bruce, Stubbs, Heisey outfield for a few years. This team has made our pitchers great through excellent defense, so why mess with that?"

Any possibility that they give YA a 3rd baseman's glove

+ they groom him to be Rolen's heir apparent???

SR would be 1 master mentor.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."...George Orwell

"George Bush is a fan of mine...he came to see me in the 70's. His coke dealer brought him."...Bette Midler

Quote Originally Posted by Red Forman View Post

Any possibility that they give YA a 3rd baseman's glove

+ they groom him to be Rolen's heir apparent???

SR would be 1 master mentor.

Oddly enough... that would increae ethe similarity with Driessen, whom the Reds had play 3B until 74. I think 3B is just so hard for a lefty to play well since they have to shift their body around to make the throw to first.

Quote Originally Posted by Brisco View Post
    Oddly enough... that would increae ethe similarity with Driessen, whom the Reds had play 3B until 74. I think 3B is just so hard for a lefty to play well since they have to shift their body around to make the throw to first.
    Alonso only bats left, he throws right. So it IS a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyReds1977 View Post
    Alonso only bats left, he throws right. So it IS a possibility.
    Did not know that... that does change things.

If Alonso could play 3rd or Outfield he would already be playing there. Alonso is a firstbaseman and should be dealt for pitching or a an outfielder this off season.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Just trade him this offseason. It needs to be done.

And they also need to sign Joey long term.

All the problems of having a promising young team and wonderful farm system are upon this organization in the next few years. It will be interesting to see how they handle it, to keep the winning going.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

BAKER12

A nice "problem" to have.

Quote Originally Posted by BAKER12 View Post
    A nice "problem" to have.
    been a long time since we had more than needed

Move him to the OF and trade Heisey.This Alonso has massive skills.You don't draft first rounders for nothing.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jr's Boy View Post
    Move him to the OF and trade Heisey.This Alonso has massive skills.You don't draft first rounders for nothing.
    Not saying Alonso is a bust. Far from it.

But on the other hand, first round picks have turned out to be busts in the past for alot of different teams.

Saying "you don't draft first rounders for nothing" isn't a guarantee of anything.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

Turn Off Ads?