Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 57 123451151 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 843

Thread: September Scoreboard Watching

  1. #1
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,593

    September Scoreboard Watching

    I figured since the Part 2 scoreboard thread seemingly ran its course, we'd go to Part 3 - September edition. If that's OK with the mods.

    Currently, the Braves and Marlins are tied at 6 apiece going into the bottom of the Marlins' 9th.

    Milwaukee leads 5-2 over the Phillies in the bottom of the 6th.

    San Diego, on a 9-game losing streak, plays Colorado this afternoon.

    Reds currently have homefield advantage for the playoffs a game ahead of Atlanta and 2 1/2 over San Diego.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member 11larkin11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Bellefontaine,OH
    Posts
    2,333

    Re: September Scoreboard Watching

    If we're going to maintain homefield advantage, I hope Philly overtakes Atlanta in the East.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

    ---TRF

    "I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

    --Bronson Arroyo

  4. #3
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,593

    Re: September Scoreboard Watching

    Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    If we're going to maintain homefield advantage, I hope Philly overtakes Atlanta in the East.
    Agreed. As of now, it would be Cincinnati vs. Philadelphia and Atlanta vs. San Diego. Of course, there's still a chance the West could get the wildcard, so hopefully Philadelphia simply goes on a losing streak.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  5. #4
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,593

    Re: September Scoreboard Watching

    Marlins knock off the Braves in the bottom of the 9th with a walk-off single.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    6,057

    Re: September Scoreboard Watching

    One team I do not understand how they keep winning...is the Yankees. Burnett is garbage. They have someone named Nova starting...and while I rail on their ability to buy a pennant last year..... they are able to get Marcus Thames? To hit the way he has for them. All of a sudden Woods is pitching lights out (he is still walking people)..... even with Jeter hitting like Paul janish...they still win.

  7. #6
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,593

    Re: September Scoreboard Watching

    Brew crew leads 6-2 heading to the bottom of 9 in Philadelphia
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  8. #7
    Member aubashbrother's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Brookneal , VA.
    Posts
    530

    Re: September Scoreboard Watching

    After todays game It made yesterdays win sooo much bigger. Go in with 8 game lead and come out with 7 game lead facing the pitchers we faced. Ill take it
    2009 Redszone MLB Mock Draft

    1st Round - Steven Strasburg

    1st Round - Matt Purke

    2nd Round - Brett Jackson

    3rd Round - Kent Matthes

  9. #8
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,593

    Re: September Scoreboard Watching

    Brewers win. The Braves, Reds and Phillies all falter today.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  10. #9
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: September Scoreboard Watching

    Quote Originally Posted by aubashbrother View Post
    After todays game It made yesterdays win sooo much bigger. Go in with 8 game lead and come out with 7 game lead facing the pitchers we faced. Ill take it
    I'm glad they were able to win one but the Reds should have won today too. Jon freaking Jay. Jon Jay. All you have to do is get him out in the 6th inning and that three run inning doesn't happen. The Reds had a chance to end the Cardinals season today but failed to do so. Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled to have a seven game lead 26 to go. But that game was very winnable today.

    I can't stand Chris Carpenter, but he owns the Reds.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

  11. #10
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,593

    Re: September Scoreboard Watching

    Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I'm glad they were able to win one but the Reds should have won today too. Jon freaking Jay. Jon Jay. All you have to do is get him out in the 6th inning and that three run inning doesn't happen. The Reds had a chance to end the Cardinals season today but failed to do so. Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled to have a seven game lead 26 to go. But that game was very winnable today.

    I can't stand Chris Carpenter, but he owns the Reds.
    OBM, Jay is a .300 hitter. He's a major league hitter hitting .300... let's not act like it was pitcher that was 5-for-his-10-year-career up there that doubled.

    Jay is a good young hitter with good bat control, a good eye and hits the ball pretty well. He's not a power hitter, but there are far worse things than surrendering a hit to him.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  12. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    14,289

    Re: September Scoreboard Watching

    As I said in the game thread - in advance of the spot - you cannot leave Homer Bailey in to face Pujols or Holliday in a tight sixth inning spot.

    He often falters in the middle innings at this stage of his career.

    Had Dusty brought Masset in to face Pujols or Holliday there, the Reds likely win the game.

    You have to know your pitchers. Let Homer develop some other time.

    Jay, Pujols, Holliday were facing Homer for the third time in the game. Pitch count was irrelevant. The Cards have very few dangerous hitters, you treat them like dangerous hitters and go with your lights out reliever there. Yes, in the sixth inning.

  13. #12
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,593

    Re: September Scoreboard Watching

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    As I said in the game thread - in advance of the spot - you cannot leave Homer Bailey in to face Pujols or Holliday in a tight sixth inning spot.

    He often falters in the middle innings at this stage of his career.

    Had Dusty brought Masset in to face Pujols or Holliday there, the Reds likely win the game.

    You have to know your pitchers. Let Homer develop some other time.

    Jay, Pujols, Holliday were facing Homer for the third time in the game. Pitch count was irrelevant. The Cards have very few dangerous hitters, you treat them like dangerous hitters and go with your lights out reliever there. Yes, in the sixth inning.
    The kid had 60 pitches at that point and was pitching a gem.

    No reason to remove him. That's kind of overreacting to one hit.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  14. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    14,289

    Re: September Scoreboard Watching

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    The kid had 60 pitches at that point and was pitching a gem.

    No reason to remove him. That's kind of overreacting to one hit.
    The reason to remove him is that this is a pennant race. April-May managing moves don't apply.

    Cannot let Bailey face those hitters a third time with men on base in a close game against Carpenter.

    You have a lights out reliever in Masset, a righty to face Pujols and Holliday, use him there, let him finish the sixth and pitch the seventh.

    Now Reds lost that game and face an uphill game against Jiminez tomorrow.

    This game was winnable, but it required more aggressive pitching management.

  15. #14
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,593

    Re: September Scoreboard Watching

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    The reason to remove him is that this is a pennant race. April-May managing moves don't apply.

    Cannot let Bailey face those hitters a third time with men on base in a close game against Carpenter.

    You have a lights out reliever in Masset, a righty to face Pujols and Holliday, use him there, let him finish the sixth and pitch the seventh.

    Now Reds lost that game and face an uphill game against Jiminez tomorrow.

    This game was winnable, but it required more aggressive pitching management.
    You can't go jerking out starting pitchers at the first sign of trouble in the 6th inning when he's previously given up one single run and 60-some pitches. I don't care if it's a pennant race or not... that's far too reactionary.

    It's a pennant race, but it's not do-or-die. They're up 7 games with 25 to play... that's pretty significant. No use in acting like it's game 7 of the World Series because he'd given up a solo double with 2 outs.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  16. #15
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    8,675

    Re: September Scoreboard Watching

    Let's remember, there's no certainty that the bullpen coming in would've shut the Cards down either. Dusty brought in Ondrusek after Bailey and he promptly allowed back to back singles after the leadoff guy grounded out. Even IF Dusty went to the pen for Pujols & Holliday, I'm pretty sure it still would've been Ondrusek. I'll take Homer over Logan especially considering how he was pitching. I'm pretty certain that it WOULDN'T have been Masset if Dusty did go to the pen there.

    Tough loss. But we're still up big...not the end of the world. (still ticked over that IBB though)
    Chapman to the rotation!!!! Do it already!!!!


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25