Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 57 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: September Scoreboard Watching

Re: September Scoreboard Watching

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    All of a sudden, .500 baseball the rest of the way doesn't seem like such a lock. The Reds are playing some bad baseball right now. The Reds don't play well in San Diego, and the Astros are playing good baseball right now. A 2-7 or 3-6 roadtrip could allow the Cardinals to get right back in this thing. The Reds need to win three of four from the DBacks to make up for today's terrible loss.
    The Dbacks will score here.. The Reds can't get by with the offense they have displayed the last two weeks.

Hopefully the Dbacks starters struggle more than they have and their bullpen stays miserable.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    They're 57-28 this year against teams under .500. I know they're not playing well at all, and I'm as disappointed by that as anyone. But I also think going .500 the rest of the way in the 16 games left against such teams (excluding San Diego) is a fairly safe mark to expect.
    The problem is the Reds offense has lost some key cogs and they can't just bludgeon teams anymore.

Cordero is going to be involved in a ton of games at this rate and that scares the living crud out of me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    The Dbacks will score here.. The Reds can't get by with the offense they have displayed the last two weeks.

Hopefully the Dbacks starters struggle more than they have and their bullpen stays miserable.
    Arizona has scored just 288 runs away from home this year (352 in Phoenix). They're not the same offense out of the desert.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Teams occasionally look like they will never win another game when they can't execute offensively. They probably should have lost all three of these games against the Bucs based on how they are hitting. Instead, they won two, and that it a testament to a starting rotation that is rounding into form at the perfect time.

It's a 6 game lead with 19 games to go. Jay Bruce should be back soon, and most of the pen got a day off today. The sky is not falling.

Quote Originally Posted by Santo Alcala View Post
    Teams occasionally look like they will never win another game when they can't execute offensively. They probably should have lost all three of these games against the Bucs based on how they are hitting. Instead, they won two, and that it a testament to a starting rotation that is rounding into form at the perfect time.

It's a 6 game lead with 19 games to go. Jay Bruce should be back soon, and most of the pen got a day off today. The sky is not falling.
    The Reds are in great position. I'm just saying that anything can happen and hopefully Dusty realizes that and does something with Cordero.

Doesn't look likely though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    The problem is the Reds offense has lost some key cogs and they can't just bludgeon teams anymore.

Cordero is going to be involved in a ton of games at this rate and that scares the living crud out of me.
    I've decided to look at it like this (after being miserable for about a week):

The Reds have given people plenty to be miserable about for 9-10 years now. There are three weeks left in the season, and I think it's advisable to focus on what is likely to happen (which in this case is good) than dwell on what is unlikely to happen. Statistically speaking, the Reds have about a 98% chance of getting to the playoffs. I don't see a point in getting caught up over the 2% chance they don't.

I'm not saying it's over or that the Cardinals can't come back, but that's not a good baseball team chasing Cincinnati right now and they've shown no ability to sustain the type of winning streak it's going to take just to get them in contention. Even if the Reds don't play excellent baseball, they can put this thing away.

After 10 years of miserable feelings, it's time to get excited. If something happens in the next three weeks and they don't make it, there will be a time to worry about that. But right now, it's close enough to see, touch, smell, sense, hear and feel. I'm letting the senses guide the way.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

The Reds have given people plenty to be miserable about for 9-10 years now. There are three weeks left in the season, and I think it's advisable to focus on what is likely to happen (which in this case is good) than dwell on what is unlikely to happen. Statistically speaking, the Reds have about a 98% chance of getting to the playoffs. I don't see a point in getting caught up over the 2% chance they don't.

I'm not saying it's over or that the Cardinals can't come back, but that's not a good baseball team chasing Cincinnati right now and they've shown no ability to sustain the type of winning streak it's going to take just to get them in contention. Even if the Reds don't play excellent baseball, they can put this thing away.

After 10 years of miserable feelings, it's time to get excited. If something happens in the next three weeks and they don't make it, there will be a time to worry about that. But right now, it's close enough to see, touch, smell, sense, hear and feel. I'm letting the senses guide the way.
    The reality is this: They are likely to get to the playoffs at this point. We should be happy about that. We also know that they are a somewhat flawed team with future promise. Right now they (and we) are playing with house money. If they are to get knocked out in the first round, this is only year 1 of a potential multi-year run of contention. If they are to win some October games, then friggin awesome.

But let's not let unrealistic expectations get in the way of enjoying what this is. Look at the big picture. These guys are getting exposure to postseason type baseball while proving to themselves that they can do this. At worst, this season will go a long way towards getting these guys to the next level.

Well said, Sir.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Cubs up 2-0 on the Cards and Garcia in the 3rd. Jeff Samardjia (sp) on the mound for Chicago tonite.

Senor Garcia finally falling off his tightrope. 4-0 Cubs, top of 3rd.

While the Braves are up 4-0 on Washington and the Phillies clobbering the Marlins 11-1, the Padres lead in Colorado 2-0 in the 2nd inning.

Cubs holding onto that 4-0 lead in the top of the 6th.

San Diego leads 5-0 in the 5th in Colorado after putting a 3-spot up.

Cardinals with one in bottom 7th, now 4-1, going to top of the 8th.

Cubs have first two batters on in the 8th, first and second.

Turn Off Ads?