Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 57 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: September Scoreboard Watching

Re: September Scoreboard Watching

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I've followed Homer's career, as I'm sure you have. He just seems to have trouble in the middle innings fairly often. It even happened in the minors.

Again, if Brendan Ryan was coming up, I'd agree with you. But even if he seemed fine, he was about to face two feared and dangerous hitters. I wouldn't have waited for some sign of distress. Based on the opposition and Homer's track record, I'd have gone to Masset.
    I think you hit on the important word: "seems."

For his career, his inning 4-6 splits are the same as innings 1-3 collectively. And in the games he's gone 7+, those splits are actually better than the rest.

I think it shows, while nothing definitively, that there's not much you can read into about having problems in the middle innings.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

Setting the frustrations of today's loss aside, the Reds have a seven game lead with 26 games remaining. I'll take that. They did what they had to do in St. Louis - avoid the sweep. And while I wanted to win the series, taking one of three against Carpenter, Garcia, and Wainwright in St. Louis is more than acceptable. Hopefully the Reds can go into Colorado and at least split the four game series. Harang vs Jimenez tomorrow will be a tough one.

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    And kept the others fresh for a 4 game road series...still up 7 games.

I understand managing any game like it's the 7th game of the world series, and I respect your opinion on it.
    I'm glad the bullpen is fresh. I fear the series in Colorado. That's one reason why I would have really pulled out the stops today.

If the Reds can split the four games in Denver, I'll be delighted, but to me this is the most dangerous series of the season.

Colorado is beating the stuffings out of the Padres. The Rockies are known for late season rallies and the Reds always seem to have trouble in Coors.

So we'll see how it goes. Tomorrow's pitching matchup is Harang vs. Jiminez.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

I'm glad the bullpen is fresh. I fear the series in Colorado. That's one reason why I would have really pulled out the stops today.

If the Reds can split the four games in Denver, I'll be delighted, but to me this is the most dangerous series of the season.

Colorado is beating the stuffings out of the Padres. The Rockies are known for late season rallies and the Reds always seem to have trouble in Coors.

So we'll see how it goes. Tomorrow's pitching matchup is Harang vs. Jiminez.

Got to agree about the Colorado series. Tough. If there is a consolation, the Cards head to Milwaukee with Westbrook, Suppan and Garcia.
    Fielder, Hart, Braun and co are licking their chops already.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I wouldn't have used Ondrusek. I would have used Masset.

Sometimes you have to vary the pattern to win the game.

So now he has a rested bullpen for a lopsided pitching matchup in Colorado.
    I get that. I'm just saying that DUSTY wouldn't have. If he would have pulled Homer in the 6th...it STILL would've been Logan coming in.

Agree, too, about the series in Colo., but the reality is we scored 2, 7, and 2 at StL, and won the one you'd expect with that kind of offense. Need to pick it back up on the o side. Simple as that.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    Got to agree about the Colorado series. Tough. If there is a consolation, the Cards head to Milwaukee with Westbrook, Suppan and Garcia.
    Fielder, Hart, Braun and co are licking their chops already.
    Lohse is pitching the second game, not Suppan.......

Not that that makes any real difference.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Agree, too, about the series in Colo., but the reality is we scored 2, 7, and 2 at StL, and won the one you'd expect with that kind of offense. Need to pick it back up on the o side. Simple as that.
    Yep. Votto & Gomes both struggled today. Bruce still out. The lethal bat of Janish not in the lineup.

Seriously though, it just kills me to see Jay still out. He was swinging the bat like he was the first few weeks of his initial call up. Just a joy to watch. Now we've got to worry about him getting back INTO a groove. Frustrating.

Anyone just see the crazy ending to the Rangers/Twins game?

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Yep. Votto & Gomes both struggled today. Bruce still out. The lethal bat of Janish not in the lineup.

Seriously though, it just kills me to see Jay still out. He was swinging the bat like he was the first few weeks of his initial call up. Just a joy to watch. Now we've got to worry about him getting back INTO a groove. Frustrating.
    I agree, Bruce's absence is big. Reds have an all righty lineup with only Votto hitting lefty. Not a good idea against tough righty hurlers.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Anyone just see the crazy ending to the Rangers/Twins game?
    Yes. First time I've ever seen that.

I hate to jinx us but I'm not that worried about the Rockies series. We have a lot of young guys that can hit and breaking pitches don't break as much in Denver as they do on the west coast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I am glad Baker left Bailey in there to face Holliday. While it's not over 'till it's over, at this point, I want to see how the Reds young pitchers handle adversity, and hope that they learn from it.

According to Fay, Baily shook off Hanigan multiple times on that pitch that Holliday deposited behind the centerfield fence. Now maybe in more imporant games, like hopefully in the playoffs, he won't do that again.

Now is the time for the Reds to be setting things up for the postseason, not treating each game like it's the last game of the World Series.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Yes. First time I've ever seen that.
    Similar to what Morgan got called out for ins't it? Morgan made contact w/ his teammates, Young with his coach.

Kinda bizarre the ump saw that....it was a split second.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    Similar to what Morgan got called out for ins't it? Morgan made contact w/ his teammates, Young with his coach.

Kinda bizarre the ump saw that....it was a split second.
    Similar, but totally different. The play today they barely touched hands where as Pudge helped him up and pushed him towards the plate.

If you watch the replay from today, the ump wasn't even looking at the runner. He saw it out of the corner of his eye. That's a call that, imo, you don't make there. That's beyond 'tickytack'.

Turn Off Ads?