Turn Off Ads?
Page 21 of 57 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: September Scoreboard Watching

Re: September Scoreboard Watching

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    As the season advances on you adjust your goals. Before the season started the goal was for the Reds to have a winning season. After a few months when it became apparent the Reds had a good team, I elevated my goal to the Reds reaching the playoffs. Now that that appears to be a strong possibility, the new goal is for the team to put themselves in the best case scenario to advance in the playoffs. For me, the best case scenario is to gain some homefield advantage in round one and avoid the Phillies. If the Reds continue struggling down the stretch they're going to put themselves in a position where they'll have to travel to Philly to begin the postseason...
    Any possibility that you might just try to enjoy it at some point?

Are the Reds better off not getting healthy and resting their starters a bit and getting to playoffs worn out and sore?
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

2. Turn Off Ads?

As the season advances on you adjust your goals. Before the season started the goal was for the Reds to have a winning season. After a few months when it became apparent the Reds had a good team, I elevated my goal to the Reds reaching the playoffs. Now that that appears to be a strong possibility, the new goal is for the team to put themselves in the best case scenario to advance in the playoffs. For me, the best case scenario is to gain some homefield advantage in round one and avoid the Phillies. If the Reds continue struggling down the stretch they're going to put themselves in a position where they'll have to travel to Philly to begin the postseason...
    Everyone keeps saying how the Reds need to avoid Philadelphia, but they really don't have a whole lot of control over it and at some point you're going to have to beat them anyway...

Here's an interesting article BTW from Joe Sheehan about home-field advantage (or lack thereof): http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...ref=si_writers
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Any possibility that you might just try to enjoy it at some point?

Are the Reds better off not getting healthy and resting their starters a bit and getting to playoffs worn out and sore?
    Who said I'm not enjoying it? I've had a blast this season. Why are we not allowed to show some frustration over the Reds losing games they should have won and costing themselves better playoff positioning?
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Who said I'm not enjoying it? I've had a blast this season. Why am I not allowed to show some frustration over the Reds losing games they should have won and costing themselves better playoff positioning?
    Oh you are, you just don't seem like you are enjoying it and I would hope you are, it's been a long time coming.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Who said I'm not enjoying it? I've had a blast this season. Why are we not allowed to show some frustration over the Reds losing games they should have won and costing themselves better playoff positioning?
    Seems to me that a team like the Reds sitting at 82 wins at this juncture has probably won just as many (if not more) games that they should have lost, then lost games they should have won.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Seems to me that a team like the Reds sitting at 82 wins at this juncture has probably won just as many (if not more) games that they should have lost, then lost games they should have won.
    Exactly. Games the Reds "should have won" are strictly in the eye of the beholder, especially when you consider games on the opposite end of the spectrum.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but it's hard for me to get too excited over a 4-3 homestand against the DBacks and Pirates. I just see wasted opportunities. That doesn't mean I'm not enjoying this season. It's been a great year.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

The Reds are going to win the division, there's not a lot to be upset with right now until the playoffs start.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but it's hard for me to get too excited over a 4-3 homestand against the DBacks and Pirates. I just see wasted opportunities. That doesn't mean I'm not enjoying this season. It's been a great year.
    We could have just gotten swept at home by the Cubs.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    The Reds are going to win the division, there's not a lot to be upset with right now until the playoffs start.
    Maybe so, but I would rather finish strong and face the Braves/Giants/Padres as opposed to backing in and playing the tougher Phillies.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Blowing away bad memories Redsfan320's Avatar

The Cards-Pads game will be on MLBN in SOME AREAS. Otherwise, you'll get Twins & ChiSox

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Maybe so, but I would rather finish strong and face the Braves/Giants/Padres as opposed to backing in and playing the tougher Phillies.
    Don't treat every game/series like Game 7 of the WS. You're gonna be burnt out for when that actual game comes. Enjoy this for what it is.

This should make OBM feel better...

Watching the Cards/Padres game, the Cardinal announcers are talking about how the Cards could play the spoiler roll in this series.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

1) There's no such thing as backing in. The Reds are going to win the division by 5+ games, I fail to see how that's backing in.

2) The Reds have no control over who they play in the playoffs really. Let's say the Phillies go on a little slide to end the year and end up as the wild card team. Let's say the Reds end up with the best record in the NL. Guess who the Reds are playing in the first round?
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

I want the Padres to make the playoffs and play them. Their offense is so putrid that if you scratch out a few runs, they're done. Man, that is a bad lineup.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Turn Off Ads?