Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 57 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: September Scoreboard Watching

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Re: September Scoreboard Watching

(Deleted)
    Last edited by IslandRed; 09-05-2010 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Eh, not worth arguing over.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by SirFelixCat View Post
    Similar, but totally different. The play today they barely touched hands where as Pudge helped him up and pushed him towards the plate.

If you watch the replay from today, the ump wasn't even looking at the runner. He saw it out of the corner of his eye. That's a call that, imo, you don't make there. That's beyond 'tickytack'.
    Especially not as the last out of one run game, with runners in scoring position, in a game September game between two playoff contenders.

The umpires union will say he made the right call, which technically, he did, but he probably will get reprimanded behind closed doors, and have to work harder to stay a major league ump.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

The call to end the Minnesota game was very poor judgment on the ump's part to interpret that as helping by the coach.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    Especially not as the last out of one run game, with runners in scoring position, in a game September game between two playoff contenders.

The umpires union will say he made the right call, which technically, he did, but he probably will get reprimanded behind closed doors, and have to work harder to stay a major league ump.

That's my take as well.

Westbrook v. Gallardo at 2:10 from Milwaukee today. Brewers lost 1-0 and 5-4 in close games in Philly on Friday and Saturday before winning 6-2 yesterday and are returning to Miller Park following a road trip.

Florida leads Philadelphia 2-0 in the top of the third

Pittsburgh got a run in the bottom of the first and lead Atlanta 1-0 in the 2nd
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I was just telling my 8.9 month pregnant wife how I am torn in what I want to see in the playoffs, God willing. I'd hate to see them matchup vs Philly in round 1, but it would make it much easier for me to get to Philly for Game 3 than Cincy for Game 1/2.

Cardinals up 1-0 in the first on Pujols' 97th RBI.

Cards lead Brewers 1-0, middle of the third. Brewers got out of a jam in the top of the third.

Florida is holding on to a 2-0 lead in the top of the 7th against Philadelphia. They do have two runners on with one out, threatening to add on.

Meanwhile, Atlanta and Pittsburgh are tied 1-1 in the 5th.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Rickie Weeks ties the game in Milwaukee on a homer.

Weeks HR. Milwaukeee ties it,
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    The call to end the Minnesota game was very poor judgment on the ump's part to interpret that as helping by the coach.
    I thought the rule was that if you made contact with the base coach you are automatically out.. it doesn't matter if the umpire deems it as helping or not. Kind of one of those a rule is a rule things like when Mattingly accidentally made two trips to the mound in one go earlier this year and had to take his closer out

Weeks just homered against Westbrook, Cards/Brewers are 1-1 bottom of 3

Quote Originally Posted by Tornon View Post
    I thought the rule was that if you made contact with the base coach you are automatically out.. it doesn't matter if the umpire deems it as helping or not. Kind of one of those a rule is a rule things like when Mattingly accidentally made two trips to the mound in one go earlier this year and had to take his closer out
    Here is the rule as it reads...

From the Major League Rule Book, 7.09 (h)

(h) In the judgment of the umpire, the base coach at third base, or first base, by touching
    or holding the runner, physically assists him in returning to or leaving third base

Turn Off Ads?