Turn Off Ads?
Page 46 of 57 FirstFirst ... 3642434445464748495056 ... LastLast

Thread: September Scoreboard Watching

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Re: September Scoreboard Watching

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    Agreed. It'd be much easier to catch them napping, possibly looking onto the next round - in a 5 game series.

I'd rather not play them at all, but if they do - this might be our best chance.
    However in a 7 game series you will likely get 1 game not against the big 3. 5 game set you will have to beat Halladay and Oswalt at least once.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by thatcoolguy_22 View Post
    However in a 7 game series you will likely get 1 game not against the big 3. 5 game set you will have to beat Halladay and Oswalt at least once.
    That's true.

I still think they can be beaten though. The trio of Hudson/Mulder/Zito was supposed to plow through the playoffs and win the World Series back at the beginning of the decade, and I can't remember for sure but I don't think they ever made it past the first round. Maybe once.

One other item of note: Roy Halladay has no playoff experience. None. Obviously that doesn't mean a whole lot, because he's Roy Halladay, but it's something to consider.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

I'm thrilled the Reds have made the playoffs and I don't expect them to win any series, regardless of who they play.

Let's be careful not to make too much of the Philly rotation. In the post season the bullpen is every bit as important as the starting rotation, maybe more so. Just look at the last three Reds Championships. On all three teams the bullpen was the strength of the team. In 1990 the Pirates and the A's had superior starting pitchers to the Reds but we blew them away from the 6th, 7th inning on. The key to beating the Phillies is to hang close early and then make hay vs the bullpen

I don't quite get the consternation about Philly. If I remember correctly, the Reds played them tougher during the regular season than San Fran. That's the team whose pitching could be lights out when they're "on" more so than Philly, IMO. Going into a series with Philly as the massive underdog won't necessarily be a bad thing either.

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    I don't quite get the consternation about Philly. If I remember correctly, the Reds played them tougher during the regular season than San Fran. That's the team whose pitching could be lights out when they're "on" more so than Philly, IMO. Going into a series with Philly as the massive underdog won't necessarily be a bad thing either.
    I don't think noting the Phillies are a brutal match-up is confusing. They added Oswalt to Halladay and Hamels. They are healthy now, with Utley back at full go. They've been here before with a recent world title. They are going to be the prohibitive favorites.

That said, I still like the Reds' chances to give them a nasty series. And maybe win.

Padres just lost again to the Cubs. That means the entire NL playoff picture may be finalized tomorrow night.

The Giants magic number to win the west is down to 1.
    The Braves magic number to win the wild card is down to 2.

The Reds only hope for a 2nd seed they would have to sweep the Brewers and the Padres would have to sweep the Giants. So there is a very good chance we may know the NL matchups by the end of tomorrow's games.

So it's pretty simple: the Padres have to sweep the Giants to make the playoffs which would also get the Reds the No. 2 spot and host the Braves (most likely).

So GOOOOOO Padres!
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    So it's pretty simple: the Padres have to sweep the Giants to make the playoffs which would also get the Reds the No. 2 spot and host the Braves (most likely).

So GOOOOOO Padres!
    Not necessarily - I believe they could force a one game playoff for the NL wildcard with the Braves if they win two of three against the Giants and the Braves get swept by the Phillies.

Now someone on ESPN radio last night said that if the Yankees and Rays tie at the end of the season, they will have a playoff for the division championship. I think he was mistaken since both teams clinched playoff spots it would go to the team who had the best head to head record against the other.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/ab...ion_ties.shtml
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Now someone on ESPN radio last night said that if the Yankees and Rays tie at the end of the season, they will have a playoff for the division championship. I think he was mistaken since both teams clinched playoff spots it would go to the team who had the best head to head record against the other.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/ab...ion_ties.shtml
    You're right, and the Rays won the season series so they'd win the AL East and the Yankees would get the WC.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Now someone on ESPN radio last night said that if the Yankees and Rays tie at the end of the season, they will have a playoff for the division championship.
    Wow. People are dumb.

Is it weird that I'm excited for the Padres/Giants matchup this weekend? End-of-season baseball is the awesomest.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Wow. People are dumb.

Is it weird that I'm excited for the Padres/Giants matchup this weekend? End-of-season baseball is the awesomest.
    October baseball is better.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Wow. People are dumb.
    Consider the source.

Not at all. I enjoy that too. The atmosphere is very special. Even the games where your team's out of it are bittersweet.

I get geeked up for the 1 game playoffs too no matter who is playing.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I get geeked up for the 1 game playoffs too no matter who is playing.
    You bite the heads off of chickens?
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Looking at the pitching matchups, the Padres have a real shot if they can get by Cain tonight. The biggest question in this series is if anyone will score over the weekend. Regardless, I'm excited to stay up late and watch that one tonight.

Now, if the Braves lose 2 of 3 against a Phillies team that has clinched is another question to create the 3 way tie.

Also, the Reds sweeping after clinching to get to 92 wins will be another stretch.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Turn Off Ads?