Ok... the Reds lost today... and there is a good chance we will lose 2 in a row facing Jimenez tomorrow in COL.
Losing sucks, but there are some good things to notice:
1. Homer was one pitch away from a very good outing... and that pitch was based on a decision, not on performance. If this can be the straw that breaks that ego's back, then this loss is more than worth it.
2. OCab is playing great. He made several great plays in the field and his bat is as hot as it was pre injury.
3. BPhil did not let the crowd get to him after the first game and appears to be nearing perfect health. He was not stellar, but if he had done the exact same things in a series where he was not the center of attention, it would have gone without comment.
4. We had at least five hits taken from us today by excellent Cards defense. Sometimes that happens. The good news is that it means that we CAN hit Carpenter hard.
5. Logan gave up two hits, but neither were mistakes. He recovered and made a solid play o the bunt. Even with the look at third he made it around to first in plenty of time. It has to be harder for a 6-7 galoot to get down and cover bunts but he did it well.
6. Bill Bray did his Loogy job well, and Jordan Smith shut down the only 2 batters he faced.
7. We actually outscored the Cardinals in the series 10-8. We did NOT alter our rotation to have them face our best pitchers, we were without our hottest hitter going into the series in Bruce, and we had zero back up outfielders.
Sure we had problems... Gomes is really pressing and HiC and Stubbs have regressed at the plate, our team-wide bunting problems continue... and ultimately we lost a game to our rival... but after thinking thru it all, we had a pretty good series. Noone can expect to go into a team's house where they have a much better record, face three SP that are all consensus top 10 starting pitchers in the league and EXPECT to win two games. We won one handily and were competitive in the other two. We are an amazing 11-4 in series since the all star break. I can live with that.