Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: How much longer do we keep sending Harang out there?

How much longer do we keep sending Harang out there?

How much more slack do we cut him?
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: How much longer do we keep sending Harang out there?

Until the Reds get some stones.

He shouldn't have pitched today. He was bad earlier in this season, struggled in his two rehab starts, and struggled in his last start as well. The offense spots you a 4-0 lead and you respond by walking the opposing pitcher in Coors Field? Goodness. Continuing to run Aaron Harang out there every fifth day is a good way to let the Cardinals back in the race. Failing to acquire another starter at the deadline could come back to haunt.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

He threw his last pitch as a Red today, I imagine.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    He shouldn't have pitched today. He was bad earlier in this season, struggled in his two rehab starts, and struggled in his last start as well. The offense spots you a 4-0 lead and you respond by walking the opposing pitcher in Coors Field? Goodness. Continuing to run Aaron Harang out there every fifth day is a good way to let the Cardinals back in the race. Failing to acquire another starter at the deadline could come back to haunt.
    It's Coors Field and this is as tight a strike zone as you'll see in baseball.

Yes, he is getting knocked around real good today. But pitching in Coors Field is hard enough, let alone having a tight zone. Heck, the Reds are knocking around Ubaldo too, so it's not just Harang on this day.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I doubt it unless they cut him.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Last start probably, but he'll be kept in middle relief.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    It's Coors Field and this is as tight a strike zone as you'll see in baseball.

Yes, he is getting knocked around real good today. But pitching in Coors Field is hard enough, let alone having a tight zone. Heck, the Reds are knocking around Ubaldo too, so it's not just Harang on this day.
    I'm tired of the excuses for Harang. He's been one of my favorite Reds but he clearly lacks the stuff to get big league hitters out at this point.

There's no excuse for walking a pitcher with a 4-0 lead.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I'm tired of the excuses for Harang. He's been one of my favorite Reds but he clearly lacks the stuff to get big league hitters out at this point.

There's no excuse for walking a pitcher with a 4-0 lead.
    I don't know about that. Every pitch he threw was right, right in or around the zone. Ubaldo had an excellent at-bat.

I agree his stuff doesn't look like it once did. Today wasn't a good day for him, make no mistake. But the circumstances made it far worse.

Replace him with who? Maloney? Volquez? in the end it will be the same thing, the O will need to score 7 to 10 runs to win.
    Go Gators!

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

But his peripherals are very good this year!

How convenient that Volquez threw today in the minors, and can return tomorrow...
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    I don't know about that. Every pitch he threw was right, right in or around the zone. Ubaldo had an excellent at-bat.

I agree his stuff doesn't look like it once did. Today wasn't a good day for him, make no mistake. But the circumstances made it far worse.
    He walked the pitcher.

I don't care if the strike zone is four inches wide, you can't walk the pitcher.

I could care less if a pitcher hits the ball and happens to knock it somewhere hard. You've got four runs and no excuse.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    He walked the pitcher.

I don't care if the strike zone is four inches wide, you can't walk the pitcher.

I could care less if a pitcher hits the ball and happens to knock it somewhere hard. You've got four runs and no excuse.
    I don't subscribe to that. If you're up there with a bat in your hands, you're dangerous. Anyone can go up there and, if they connect to a mid 90's fastball, hit a home run.

I think the whole "you can't walk the pitcher" cliche is overused. It's easy to say throw strikes, but go ahead and groove one and if they hit it 400 feet, you might feel differently.

Heck, just last week, people were going balistic in the game thread about surrendering hits to the Brewers' pitchers (of which Gallardo is a .300 hitter with 4 homers in 60 at-bats). Can't walk the pitcher. Can't give up hits to the pitcher. Heck, sometimes I wonder if fans would like to even make pitches to the pitcher. Perhaps we just tell the umpire to skip their turn in the lineup.

I would rather have Maloney on the bump than Harang at this point. While Maloney isn't a long term answer he is good for at least 6 innings. Harang isn't even good enough for 3 at this point in his career. For the Reds to be contenders the pitching has to get to the sixth inning so we go turn it over to the missle crew in the bullpen.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Turn Off Ads?