Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Starting rotation as of 9/7

Starting rotation as of 9/7

OK I think that after we have seen what Harang is not able to do anymore, my question is what do we do about this? With Leake on the DL, Volquez in Dayton working on mechanics, that leaves us with a starting rotation of Aroyo, Bailey, and Wood. Are there any viable options in AAA? Do we take another chance on Owings, or move some guys from the bullpen to the rotation. Because if we don't do something you can forget about moving past the 1st round of the playoffs with out some stability in the rotation.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Starting rotation as of 9/7

As much as I like Lecure in the pen, I really like what he did as a starter earlier in the season. He doesn't have the best stuff in the world, but he's got the mental makeup and he battles to keep the Reds in the game.

Racing Cheetahs

The Reds have 25 games left, with 2 off-days sandwiched in (unfortunately those two off days occur within a 5-day span around a trip to SD). Theoretically the Reds need to run the #5 starter out to the mound 4 more times in 2010 (this slot becomes irrelevant come playoff time). If Volquez isn't ready, it's time to squeeze 4 starts out of Maloney/Lecure.

And once the playoffs begin, if the Reds are there, it will be Cueto/Arroyo/Bailey and/or Wood (depends on Wood's innings)
    Last edited by Billy Bates; 09-07-2010 at 10:31 AM.

I don't think its a huge problem. Arroyo, Cueto, Bailey, and Wood all seem capable of being 1-4 right now. We can easily survive another 3 or 4 starts from Harang, Maloney, or moving Lecure into rotation.

Regardless, none of them would be getting starts in the postseason barring injury or complete meltdown.

With that said, I probably prefer Maloney.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Bates View Post

And once the playoffs begin, if the Reds are there, it will be Cueto/Arroyo/Bailey and/or Wood (depends on Wood's innings)
    I think this is right and it's a rather scary thought.

In terms of these last few weeks, I would really like to see Maloney run out there for 5/6 innings every 5 days. I feel like he has earned this chance as much as anyone. 1.19 WHIP in 134+ innings.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zacharync View Post
    In terms of these last few weeks, I would really like to see Maloney run out there for 5/6 innings every 5 days. I feel like he has earned this chance as much as anyone. 1.19 WHIP in 134+ innings.
    I agree. The Reds FO seems to be more interested in testing the boy's equanimity than his game.

Harang's ERA will probably never again drop below 5.00, and yet they continue to run him out there on a prayer and wing.
    Last edited by malcontent; 09-07-2010 at 12:32 PM.

Recovering Cubs Fan

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    I agree. The Reds FO seems to be more interested in testing the boy's equanimity than his game.

Harang's ERA will probably never again drop below 5.00, and yet they continue to run him out there on a prayer and wing.
    Harang hasn't pitched that well, but it's not mystifying that they want to know if he can come back. He's also earned the opportunity with the way he's pitched in the past. They have him on a pretty short leash so I really don't get all the complaining; he's not the one who gave up the last six runs yesterday.

Also, my guess is the plan is to use up Wood's innings now, then replace him with Leake for the end of the season and hopefully the playoffs. I do not think Travis Wood will be available for the postseason.
    FIRE DUSTY Never mind. The man is clearly a genius.

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

I hope both Wood and Leake are available, and I pray they are pitching well.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

Quote Originally Posted by Natty Redlocks View Post
    Harang hasn't pitched that well, but it's not mystifying that they want to know if he can come back. He's also earned the opportunity with the way he's pitched in the past. They have him on a pretty short leash so I really don't get all the complaining; he's not the one who gave up the last six runs yesterday.

Also, my guess is the plan is to use up Wood's innings now, then replace him with Leake for the end of the season and hopefully the playoffs. I do not think Travis Wood will be available for the postseason.
    He only pitched 2 1/3 innings, I would hope he wouldn't give up 6 runs. He couldve given up more than 4 if Jordan Smith hadn't bailed him out with a double play. He left with runners on 1st and 3rd and 1 out. Not to mention he walked the pitcher and Dexter Fowler before all the chaos started, blowing a 4 run lead they just got him in the top half of the same inning. His first start wasn't much better, he was hit very hard, only lasted 4 innings if I remember right? also not giving up as many runs as he should have. Before being recalled he had given up 11 runs in 11 innings in the minors. HES WASHED UP! it's time to move on.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Redlegs73 View Post
    OK I think that after we have seen what Harang is not able to do anymore, my question is what do we do about this? With Leake on the DL, Volquez in Dayton working on mechanics, that leaves us with a starting rotation of Aroyo, Bailey, and Wood. Are there any viable options in AAA? Do we take another chance on Owings, or move some guys from the bullpen to the rotation. Because if we don't do something you can forget about moving past the 1st round of the playoffs with out some stability in the rotation.
    Uh......Cueto?

Cueto, Arroyo, Bailey, Wood, and Maloney or Volquez (if he fixes his mechanics).

I'm not worried about that rotation on paper. I'm starting to worry more about our offense's lack of clutch hits.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Uh......Cueto?

Cueto, Arroyo, Bailey, Wood, and Maloney or Volquez (if he fixes his mechanics).

I'm not worried about that rotation on paper. I'm starting to worry more about our offense's lack of clutch hits.
    Ditto. We had both Carpenter and Jiminez on the ropes, but didn't get it done with RISP.

I'd rather let any minor leaguer go out there and pitch a game instead of Harang right now.

Yeah I admit I forgot Cueto, and having 4 solid starters is good, but we still need to lock down a playoff spot. However, when the offense goes in the spurts they do it don't help when Harang is throwing softball out there

I am holding out hope that Volquez can catch lightning in a bottle for a month or so.

Turn Off Ads?