Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bob Bradley's contract extended 5 years through 2014 World Cup

Bob Bradley's contract extended 5 years through 2014 World Cup

Saw this on ESPN the other day...

I'll admit this news really bummed me out. Was really looking forward to some fresh ideas and tactics...

Not sure I can think of a single coach whose 2nd cycle has surpassed the first and I'm certainly not optimistic about BB's chances to buck that trend.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bob Bradley's contract extended 5 years through 2014 World Cup

I was thinking it would have been nice to see a fresh face in there, but my concern would be that the federation would hire either more concerned about winning now or an MLS coach in over his head. While I'm not always happy with some of his lineup choices, he's been good for the development of the program. I could still see him leaving early if the right opportunity opens up overseas.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

I share WMR's concerns about Bradley's second term. I was as big of a supporter of him as you'll find, but a second four year term is a lot to throw on his plate.

To be honest a lot of the other names mentioned didn't exactly inspire a lot of excitement either, I know just like in 2006 therer were many a heart a twitter for Jurgen Klinsmann but the fact that he hasn't coached since the WC in 2006(aside from a brief spell with Bayern Munich) and this makes me wonder if his heart would fully be into it.

Four years is a long committment from any coach, and it's it's possible if people are upset with Bradley after say the first two years, that he could be replaced by someone like Klinsmann.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

The Buckeye Bomber

I disagree with this move. We need to do - and can do - better.
    I hate the Cardinals. I hate the Cubs.
    Let's. Go. Reds.
    "Per Aspera Ad Astra"

Not a good move by the USSF. Can it end well? Sure. Will it? Probably not.

I kinda like it. I don't really follow international soccer all that much but I thought Bradley did a pretty good job. I wanted to see what he could do with another 4 years. Its unfortunate, and injuries happen to every team, but in a team like the USA with such a limited margin for error it really hurt them to lose Charlie Davies and also have a less than 100% Gooch. With another 4 years the soccer talent in this country should get deeper and more competitive, it will be interesting to see what Bradley can do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I kinda like it. I don't really follow international soccer all that much but I thought Bradley did a pretty good job. I wanted to see what he could do with another 4 years. Its unfortunate, and injuries happen to every team, but in a team like the USA with such a limited margin for error it really hurt them to lose Charlie Davies and also have a less than 100% Gooch. With another 4 years the soccer talent in this country should get deeper and more competitive, it will be interesting to see what Bradley can do with it.
    Pretty much everyone I know who DOES follow international soccer is very dismayed at this news...

here's a pretty interesting thread from big soccer... a few knuckleheads, but also some very, very good explanations of why this move is being panned by most of the US Soccer community.

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1530981

I dont know enough about him honestly. I know I like the way his son plays ball though.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Pretty much everyone I know who DOES follow international soccer is very dismayed at this news...

here's a pretty interesting thread from big soccer... a few knuckleheads, but also some very, very good explanations of why this move is being panned by most of the US Soccer community.

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1530981
    I don't know. It seems like a lot of the displeasure is based upon not getting Klensman as the coach. IIRC he didn't want the job 4 years ago and didn't really want it now.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I don't know. It seems like a lot of the displeasure is based upon not getting Klensman as the coach. IIRC he didn't want the job 4 years ago and didn't really want it now.
    Yep. I think if Klinsman wanted the job, it was his. I don't like the idea of the USSF begging and pleading with someone to coach the team. I'd much rather they get someone willing to come in with the desire to take the team to the next level rather than someone who might be looking for an exit strategy if things don't go well at the start.

I honestly don't expect Bradley to be with the team through the end of this contract. I see him leaving by about 2012, either for another job, or because the USSF decides to go with someone else.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Yep. I think if Klinsman wanted the job, it was his. I don't like the idea of the USSF begging and pleading with someone to coach the team. I'd much rather they get someone willing to come in with the desire to take the team to the next level rather than someone who might be looking for an exit strategy if things don't go well at the start.

I honestly don't expect Bradley to be with the team through the end of this contract. I see him leaving by about 2012, either for another job, or because the USSF decides to go with someone else.
    It wouldn't take any begging and pleading...

just one of the richest soccer federations in the world opening the pocket book to bring in an elite international coach. :shrug:

It all just reeks of amateur hour. Don't forget, Sunil is an academic... but then again, he's merely a reflection of the ass-backwards way the USSF is run, from the top levels on down.

Attack Cat!

I certainly think he did a pretty good job. That being said, I don't think you give a second WC cycle to a coach that was "pretty good".

I don't think he'll tank like Arena did though, if only because they have more talent now.

I do think he's good enough that he might pleasantly surprise us all.

To be honest, I find coaching in WC to be extremely overrated. He's nothing more than a scapegoat if the team loses. It just comes down to talent more than anything else, and unless Jozy mans up a lot, Donovan doesn't age too poorly, and Dempsey some how keeps his 'wonder goal' game alive, I wouldn't expect much improvement from the men's club. Either way, Brazil has the 2014 WC all but locked up anyways...

Quote Originally Posted by Oxilon View Post
    To be honest, I find coaching in WC to be extremely overrated. He's nothing more than a scapegoat if the team loses. It just comes down to talent more than anything else, and unless Jozy mans up a lot, Donovan doesn't age too poorly, and Dempsey some how keeps his 'wonder goal' game alive, I wouldn't expect much improvement from the men's club. Either way, Brazil has the 2014 WC all but locked up anyways...
    Coaching isn't important? The French national team says

nm
    Last edited by George Anderson; 09-08-2010 at 11:05 PM.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Turn Off Ads?