Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bob Bradley's contract extended 5 years through 2014 World Cup

Re: Bob Bradley's contract extended 5 years through 2014 World Cup

I'm not crazy about this, either. Not sure there were a lot of options, though. Big Bill has to find some young talent on the backline. He's got time and security to do so.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    Coaching isn't important? The French national team says
    The players are just as guilty as the coach in regards to France's World Cup fiasco.

Regardless, I'll change my previous statement. As long as your coach isn't an arrogant, bumbling idiot, coaching in WC soccer is overrated.

I'd say Bradley doesn't meet either of those descriptions.

Sure, coaching in an actual game isn't as big an issue (although desicions such as to start Ricardo Clarke can have a major impact on a game). The issue is in the training of the team over the next 4 years. It's about the style of play, the skills that are developed. The coaching decision is much more about the years between cups than it is about the cup itself.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Sure, coaching in an actual game isn't as big an issue (although desicions such as to start Ricardo Clarke can have a major impact on a game). The issue is in the training of the team over the next 4 years. It's about the style of play, the skills that are developed. The coaching decision is much more about the years between cups than it is about the cup itself.
    Could you imagine Drew Stubbs and Chris Johnson as strikers? D Wade, John Wall, and Carl Crawfod as middle fielders, LeBron James, Ray Lewis, Patrick Willis as defenders?

I agree that it is about the 4 years of development and developing skill that leads to a successful World Cup. But lets not ignore the fact that America's best athletes don't play soccer. Lets not ignore that Bradley played Findlay in the WC because he felt the team needed top line speed. You can get the greatest tactician as a coach but it really wont matter unless the level of player keeps getting better. IMO the American talent pool is getting better and I want to see what Bradley can do with that talent.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Could you imagine Drew Stubbs and Chris Johnson as strikers? D Wade, John Wall, and Carl Crawfod as middle fielders, LeBron James, Ray Lewis, Patrick Willis as defenders?

I agree that it is about the 4 years of development and developing skill that leads to a successful World Cup. But lets not ignore the fact that America's best athletes don't play soccer. Lets not ignore that Bradley played Findlay in the WC because he felt the team needed top line speed. You can get the greatest tactician as a coach but it really wont matter unless the level of player keeps getting better. IMO the American talent pool is getting better and I want to see what Bradley can do with that talent.
    The physical skills of the United States teams are superior to most of the foreign squads. It's the technical skills they lack.

When the United States was playing well in the confederations cup it was because they were physically faster than many of their Spanish counterparts and they could in fact run forever.

What has gotten them in trouble are when teams are able to do things much faster because the technical abilities are so superior. Think of Kurt Warner throwing to a spot on the field where he knows the receiver will be. The United States is comparatively like a high school football team that has the receiver turn around after 5 yards, wait and then the quarterback throws it.

Now maybe if LeBron and Calvin Johnson and Darrell Revis all played soccer, their physical skills would be even more impressive, and because they were even more physically superior to their opponents the lack of technical skill wouldn't matter. But it's not that the United States players are less missing anything athletically to Ghana or England, it's the technical skill because our 6 and 7 year old Landon Donovans are being coached by the parent who has the most weekends free.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

USA beats SA 1-0 today. Winning goal by 17 year old debutant Juan Agudelo of the Red Bulls.

I thought Robbie Rodgers, Mix Diskerud and Eric Lichaj looked awesome today. Great young foundation finally.

Also watched France destroy a weakened England team today. France has so much talent it's sick. Hopefully for their sake the new regime gets the most out of their talent. Gourcuff and Nasir are just incredible players.
    Last edited by Cedric; 11-17-2010 at 04:45 PM.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    USA beats SA 1-0 today. Winning goal by 17 year old debutant Juan Agudelo of the Red Bulls.
    I got to see Agudelo a little bit in some of the Red Bulls games. He looks like he's going to be a good one. Having Henry around as a mentor won't hurt, either.

Nice goal today, too.

What are the international rules about foreigners playing on European soccer teams? I thought that the EPL had rules as to how many non-English could play on their team. To me it would be smart for USA Soccer to do their best to place these young good players on European teams pronto.

What are the international rules about foreigners playing on European soccer teams? I thought that the EPL had rules as to how many non-English could play on their team. To me it would be smart for USA Soccer to do their best to place these young good players on European teams pronto
    There aren't a lot of limitations perse about playing in the overseas leagues, but what holds things up some times is the work visa rules which require a player to have a certain number of national team games and or other experience before they are approved to come over. I remember this being a major sticking point for Jozy Altidore when he first went to England.

One reason why there are a lot of African players in the European leagues is they moved over at a very young age and play in the team's academies. They are then eligible to play from the get go.

Also, we need to be realistic about the quality of the US players, a 17 year old on a hot streak in MLS won't necessarily earn playing time in the EPL and I think it's the playing time that is most important. If a guy(especially a young guy) is just going to go across the pond and sit, I'd rather he play here.

That said, I think guys like Lichaj, Aguedelo, and Goodson will add quite a bit to the younger core of field players like Altidore, Holden, and Bradley(all of whom are 24 or younger.)
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Update on Oguuch Onyewu ... he was loaned from Milan to FC Twente. He never played at Milan. Hopefully he gets his career back on track at Twente.

Milan defender Oguchi Onyewu has joined Dutch champions FC Twente on loan until the end of the season.

The United States international has made just one appearance for Milan since his arrival in 2009.

The 28-year-old has endured an injury-ravaged 18 months and got into a fight with Zlatan Ibrahimovic after the Swede went in a little too hard during training.

Onyewu had accepted to play for free this season such were his knee problems.

He has yet to recapture the form that he showed at Standard Liege, but a reunion with former mentor Michel Preud'homme could see a resurgence in Onyewu's fortunes.

and a Freddy Adu update ... wow, he's fallen off the map. And he's still only 21.

Adu on trial with German club

BERLIN — Former youth prodigy Freddy Adu is undergoing trials with German second division side Ingolstadt in a bid to revive his flagging career.

The 21-year-old, Ghana-born midfielder looked headed for stardom when he took US citizenship in 2003 and made his senior debut a year later.

But after spells with DC United and Real Salt Lake he moved to Benfica in Portugal in July, 2007 and he has struggled to make his mark there.

Subsequently he has been on loan to Monaco in France, Belenenses in Portugal and Aris Salonika in Greece, with little success.

Ingolstadt have called him up and will take a decision on whether to keep him on loan until the end of the season during the winter break in Germany.

"We know all about his past and that he has failed to live up to all the expectations that were placed on him when he was 15 and 16 years old," said Ingolstadt manager Benno Mohlmann.

"On the other hand what we need are established players who can help us out at this stage of the season, not players who have a lot of potential."

Ingolstadt, based near Munich, are currently one place from bottom in the second division and facing a battle against relegation.

Turn Off Ads?