Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2010 "Grade / Rate My Fantasy Draft" Thread

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

2010 "Grade / Rate My Fantasy Draft" Thread

Back again. I won my league last season and was able to keep 4 players. Our system requires us to forfeit the draft pick used to take the player in the previous year in order to keep, and allows 2 keepers from the first 8 picks and two keepers from the final 8 picks.

So, I started the draft with the following keepers:

1. Chris Johnson
    2. Randy Moss
    10. Ray Rice
    12. Rashard Mendenhall

To that, I added to end up with the following team (start 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 T/W, 1 K, 1 DEF):

QB: Kevin Kolb PHI
    RB: Chris Johnson TEN
    RB: Ray Rice BAL
    WR: Randy Moss NE
    WR: Larry Fitzgerald ARI
    W/T: Marques Colston NO
    TE: Brent Celek PHI
    K: Stephen Gostkowski NE
    DEF: Arizona

BN: Ben Roethlisberger QB-PIT
    BN: Jonathan Stewart RB-CAR
    BN: Rashard Mendenhall RB-PIT
    BN: Bernard Barrian WR-MIN
    BN: Mohammed Massaquoi WR-CLE
    BN: Mike Williams WR-TB

The only position I'm really worried about is QB. I waited to add one, mostly because I didn't pick until the 3rd round due to keeper slots and most anyone worth taking was already off the board via pick or keeps by that point. I think Kolb has good breakout potential, but huge bust potential as well. I got Roethlisberger late in the draft due to his suspension, but he's been a solid fantasy QB when he plays, so all I really need to do is survive 4 weeks of Kolb to get him in there.

Otherwise, I'm very happy with my squad.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2010 "Grade / Rate My Fantasy Draft" Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Back again. I won my league last season and was able to keep 4 players. Our system requires us to forfeit the draft pick used to take the player in the previous year in order to keep, and allows 2 keepers from the first 8 picks and two keepers from the final 8 picks.

So, I started the draft with the following keepers:

1. Chris Johnson
    2. Randy Moss
    10. Ray Rice
    12. Rashard Mendenhall

To that, I added to end up with the following team (start 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 T/W, 1 K, 1 DEF):

QB: Kevin Kolb PHI
    RB: Chris Johnson TEN
    RB: Ray Rice BAL
    WR: Randy Moss NE
    WR: Larry Fitzgerald ARI
    W/T: Marques Colston NO
    TE: Brent Celek PHI
    K: Stephen Gostkowski NE
    DEF: Arizona

BN: Ben Roethlisberger QB-PIT
    BN: Jonathan Stewart RB-CAR
    BN: Rashard Mendenhall RB-PIT
    BN: Bernard Barrian WR-MIN
    BN: Mohammed Massaquoi WR-CLE
    BN: Mike Williams WR-TB

The only position I'm really worried about is QB. I waited to add one, mostly because I didn't pick until the 3rd round due to keeper slots and most anyone worth taking was already off the board via pick or keeps by that point. I think Kolb has good breakout potential, but huge bust potential as well. I got Roethlisberger late in the draft due to his suspension, but he's been a solid fantasy QB when he plays, so all I really need to do is survive 4 weeks of Kolb to get him in there.

No offense but you are either in a 6 team league or playing against football idiots.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    No offense but you are either in a 6 team league or playing against football idiots.

Or a 3-team league and playing against those idiots' children.

Larry Fitzgerald in the 3rd Round?

Graduate from Kindergarten, quit the league and join a real one.

You asked for a grade and that's an honest assessment.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 09-08-2010 at 05:06 AM.

Might want to watch the teams that have a starting qb that could be replaced. One example is Arizona where Max Hall might overtake Derek Anderson at some point. Who knows, never know when the next nobody qb becomes a somebody.
    Last edited by redsfandan; 09-08-2010 at 05:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Or a 3-team league and playing against those idiots' children.

Larry Fitzgerald in the 3rd Round?

Graduate from Kindergarten, quit the league and join a real one.

You asked for a grade and that's an honest assessment.
    It's a 10 team with people who I was in a fraternity with, and 1 or 2 added on people. I'd say there's only 1 person in the league who I'd qualify as a non-hardcore football fan. We've all been playing together for about 5 years, this the first year we decided to carry keepers from the previous year.

Fitzgerald fell to the third because:

1. Most people lost Round 1 & 2 picks for keeper reasons.
    2. Most of the top backs were kept as keepers, leading to an early run on the available rushers (Gore, Mathews, Green, Best) to fill out the rosters of teams that didn't have keeper-worthy RBs.
    3. The guy who had Fitzgerald last year elected to keep Jones-Drew and Rivers instead.
    4. (speculating) Concerns that he'll have a tough time w/ Derek Anderson at QB and the potential for a rookie (Hall) taking over midseason.
    Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 09-08-2010 at 08:09 AM.

By way of comparison, I'm in a league with a bunch of court staff people from my old rotation, and I ended up with this draft -- which I don't think is that much worse than my other league:

QB: Kevil Kolb
    RB: Chris Johnson
    RB: Cedric Benson
    WR: Marques Colston
    WR: Reggie Wayne
    WR: Larry Fitzgerald
    TE: Kellen Winslow
    W/R/T: C.J. Spiller
    K: Jeff Reed
    D: Baltimore

BN: Matt Forte
    BN: Mike Wallace
    BN: Donald Brown
    BN: Kareem Huggins
    BN: Johnny Knox
    BN: Derek Anderson

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

You need to find better competition.

Any league where you are able to get C. Johnson, Wayne, Colston, and Fitzgerald is a league not worth playing in unless you are best friends with all the other owners and just like to rub it in that they are worthless fantasy players.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye33 View Post
    Any league where you are able to get C. Johnson, Wayne, Colston, and Fitzgerald is a league not worth playing in unless you are best friends with all the other owners and just like to rub it in that they are worthless fantasy players.
    It's all a bunch of court staff people -- a couple bailiffs, a probation officer or two, etc. The opportunity for trash talking at court will be fantastic during the course of the season.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

So much hate, boys.

Looks like the planets aligning for CE is all that's happened here.

He got Rice really late (as we all could have) in 2009, he is a stud now.

He got to add Fitzgerald because most people are going to steer clear of a guy who lost an MVP QB and now has....er....Derek Anderson. I passed on him in every league. Why take a chance with a high pick that could ruin your team? And this os the perfect roster to take a chance on him with. Guys like Fitzgerald are either awesome, or basically Ochocinco level- who knows? I'm not taking that chance at 2. Early 3? Okay, nice upside. Fitzgerald has name value, but so did Randy Moss in Oakland, and I just want no part of that. Point being that we dont know if CE is loaded at wideout because we don't know how good Derek anderson is going to be.

lAs with all 10 team leagues, there isn't quite enough talent to be loaded at every single position and CE hit it on the head: Kevin Kolb is the QB. That could be rough. However, you can stream this position fairly easily in a 10 team league if he doesnt work out. And if it doesnt work out you have a top7 guy in Ben coming back in week 6.

This looks par for the course for a ten team league, especially given the fact that Colston has lived off his reputation of 3 or 4 years ago. Too many vultures in that offense for my liking. I own him but Im already regretting it LOL...

This team is pretty awesome, and I agree with your assessment: It rests on Kolb and Fitzgerald being good.
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 09-09-2010 at 08:59 AM.

Johnny Cueto Fan

QBs - Matt Schaub , Jason Campbell
    RBs - CJ Spiller, Ryan Matthews, Brian Westbrook, Kevin Faulk, Leon Washington
    WRs - Terrell Owens, Mike Sims-Walker, Eddie Royal, Greg Camarillo, Julian Edelman
    TEs - Jermichael Finley, Heath Miller, Rob Gronkowski
    Defense - New York Jets
    Defensive player - Charles Woodson

No kicker.
    Last edited by KOBasinger; 09-09-2010 at 11:58 AM.

Johnny Cueto Fan

By way of comparison, I'm in a league with a bunch of court staff people from my old rotation, and I ended up with this draft -- which I don't think is that much worse than my other league:

QB: Kevil Kolb
    RB: Chris Johnson
    RB: Cedric Benson
    WR: Marques Colston
    WR: Reggie Wayne
    WR: Larry Fitzgerald
    TE: Kellen Winslow
    W/R/T: C.J. Spiller
    K: Jeff Reed
    D: Baltimore

BN: Matt Forte
    BN: Mike Wallace
    BN: Donald Brown
    BN: Kareem Huggins
    BN: Johnny Knox
    BN: Derek Anderson
    Looks like a good team . Kolb should at least put up decent numbers with Maclin/Jackson/Celek/Avant and Mccoy

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    So much hate, boys.

Looks like the planets aligning for CE is all that's happened here.

He got Rice really late (as we all could have) in 2009, he is a stud now.

He got to add Fitzgerald because most people are going to steer clear of a guy who lost an MVP QB and now has....er....Derek Anderson. I passed on him in every league. Why take a chance with a high pick that could ruin your team? And this os the perfect roster to take a chance on him with. Guys like Fitzgerald are either awesome, or basically Ochocinco level- who knows? I'm not taking that chance at 2. Early 3? Okay, nice upside. Fitzgerald has name value, but so did Randy Moss in Oakland, and I just want no part of that. Point being that we dont know if CE is loaded at wideout because we don't know how good Derek anderson is going to be.

lAs with all 10 team leagues, there isn't quite enough talent to be loaded at every single position and CE hit it on the head: Kevin Kolb is the QB. That could be rough. However, you can stream this position fairly easily in a 10 team league if he doesnt work out. And if it doesnt work out you have a top7 guy in Ben coming back in week 6.

This looks par for the course for a ten team league, especially given the fact that Colston has lived off his reputation of 3 or 4 years ago. Too many vultures in that offense for my liking. I own him but Im already regretting it LOL...

This team is pretty awesome, and I agree with your assessment: It rests on Kolb and Fitzgerald being good.
    Because Derek Anderson can make plays that Kurt Warner couldn't make last year for the Cards. Warner had a bad shoulder all season and couldn't throw a pass deeper than 20 yards last season. Anderson is money on the longer throws and can take advantage of Fitz's abilities. Fitzgerald will again be among the Top-3 in Targets.

Fitzgerald is a Top-3 Wide Receiver this season, and many sites (the good ones, at least) back that up.

This will be the first time in Anderson's career where he'll have a Receiver who can "Catch" the ball. Winslow is terrible at dropping passes, and nobody in the league is worse than Braylon Edwards. That's why both of them were traded. They'd both blow drives every game with dropped 3rd-down passes that were right on the money by Anderson or anybody else throwing the ball.

This will be Anderson's highest completion percentage of his career. Few people, especially Browns and Bengals fans, understand Derek Anderson very well.

Most people are predicting that Max Hall will overtake Derek Anderson for the starting gig before the season is over. Whisenhunt even said that Max Hall had the best pre-season of all his Quarterbacks. That may be true, but Anderson will hold him off, throw for 3800 yards, 28 Touchdowns, and only throw 15 interceptions. He'll even run for 2 Touchdowns making 30 total.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 09-10-2010 at 11:47 PM.

I won't play in 10-team leagues.

There's way too much talent available for everyone to have a great team.

There's no skill involved.

14-team leagues are the best. Everyone has one weak point, just like the real NFL, and you have to pick your poison, really consider matchups, all rounds of drafting become important, and you have to pay a little more attention to the season. That makes it more fun. If you're too busy and don't have that much time a particular year, then I'd make sure I got 4 guys that I could plug in every week. Then it'd just be about figuring out 2 WR's each week, or which Defense to play based on a matchup.

I can't understand why my team ain't getting no love from the guru. Ten team league PPR, one flex, 2 rb, 2wr, qb, te, def, kicker. Did I miss something here?

Rivers, Kolb, Stafford
    Rice, Charles, Deangelo Williams, Marion Barber
    Wayne, Welker, Nicks, Bowe, Santonio Holmes
    Daniels, Heath Miller
    NY Giants
    Buehler K

Turn Off Ads?