Burton (S, 1) 	        1.1 	0 	0 	0 	1 	3 	0 	0.00

-The Insider-

Re: Friday, September 10, 2010 Minor League Updates

That was fun. Ill be back tomorrow

Wow. Nice job by the pen.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Durham reliever Paul Phillips will start tomorrow against Ben Jukich.

RHP Phillips started 3 games this season for AA Montgomery. He has 13 K and 0 BB for Durham in 10.2 IP.

Can I ask a question? This isn't meant to be argumentative, I'm just curious.

How many of you actually root for Louisville and these teams? I personally feel no allegiance to any of them, other than rooting interest for the prospects themselves. That's not to say I don't care about their role within their communities, but I just don't feel those ties. I was curious how many of you felt the same way.

For instance... I'm a Central Ohio kid. So if the Bats are playing Columbus, it's a no-brainer for me who I'm rooting for. I am just curious how many care about the win/loss thing for the minor league teams.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

There are a lot of factors that decide which minor league teams are my favorite.

1.) Are they an affiliate of the Reds?
    2.) How close to me are they located?
    3.) Who is on the team?
    4.) How is the team run?
    5.) How do they play the game (ie small ball)?

And there are plenty more factors than that, but those are some of the bigger ones. Affiliates aside, I'd root for the Clippers over the Bats because of the whole Ohio pride thing. But regardless of the affiliate, I have a blast every time I see a game at Slugger Field.

I do. And I was a Redbirds fan when they were here.

But the Reds are still #1 as far as baseball teams go.

Thanks for your answers, gents. I enjoy following these threads, scores and (when possible) watching games on MiLB because of seeing a lot of prospects. It's enjoyable. I have noticed lately people seem to be genuinely interested in the result by way of wins and losses, and that was surprising just because I didn't realize very many folks cared. I'd never felt any attachment to the minor league teams, outside of the ones I grew up around (Columbus & Dayton), so it got me thinking.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I've lived in Toledo my whole life. When the Bats come to town to play the Mud Hens, I root for the Bats. The Hens can win any other time, but with the Bats being the Reds of tomorrow I feel more of a connection with them.

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Can I ask a question? This isn't meant to be argumentative, I'm just curious.

How many of you actually root for Louisville and these teams? I personally feel no allegiance to any of them, other than rooting interest for the prospects themselves. That's not to say I don't care about their role within their communities, but I just don't feel those ties. I was curious how many of you felt the same way.

For instance... I'm a Central Ohio kid. So if the Bats are playing Columbus, it's a no-brainer for me who I'm rooting for. I am just curious how many care about the win/loss thing for the minor league teams.
    Guilty.

There are 17 Mudcats from the past two years on the Bats roster so I am obviously pulling/excited for them but even if there were only 2 I would still pull for them, keep up with them, because they're a Reds affiliate.

Reds and their affiliates are all I care about. The Legends have a pretty decent operation here in Lexington, but I've never been to a game. If they were to become a Reds affiliates, I'd probably have season tickets, but I have Zero interest in an Astros farm team. Just like, if a Reds affiliate were ever in the same league as the Legends, I'd be at every game when the Reds farm hands came to town.

A few years ago, while living in Ashland, KY, Huntington, WVa had a Cubs Rookie team and I used to go see them when the Reds Princton team was in town,
    Last edited by corkedbat; 09-11-2010 at 12:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    Guilty.

There are 17 Mudcats from the past two years on the Bats roster so I am obviously pulling/excited for them but even if there were only 2 I would still pull for them, keep up with them, because they're a Reds affiliate.
    Here too.

I enjoy the minors more than the majors. I follow the Reds because of the Mudcats. When I'm watching the Bats with all the guys up from Carolina, they are the clear cut home team as far as my allegiances go. Very proud of Klinker and the rest of the guys.

We were at the game last night and it is one of the best games I've been to this year. I was surprised at the turn out, good crowd.

Good job all the way on the thread guys.

Turn Off Ads?