Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Who's Your Top Five Greatest Artists of All Time? (Music)

Re: Who's Your Top Five Greatest Artists of All Time? (Music)

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    I don't like him either, but you can't argue with the run that Cats and Phantom had packing houses for years on end. Future generations will be curious about shows that were documented to have run on broadway for twenty years. Not even the Bard got that kind of run out of one show.
    Time will tell on that. I'm probably being way too biased, but ALW's works are more made for the masses and the tourists. I'm trying to think of the mainstream band equivalent where they sell tons of records because of the mass appeal, but holds on appeal to the more discerning rock enthusiast. ALW isn't without talent or without his good work. But as a whole, his stuff is meant to appeal to the non-theatre goer.

I'm a serious theatre enthusiast and I can think of few things I'd rather see less than Cats or Phantom....maybe Wicked. Broadway has become like Disney these days much to the dismay of avid theatre enthusiasts. ALW is seen as one of the first to start pushing it in that direction. Very little of substance comes out of broadway anymore, and it stinks.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Turn Off Ads?
    AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Broadway has become like Disney these days much to the dismay of avid theatre enthusiasts. ALW is seen as one of the first to start pushing it in that direction. Very little of substance comes out of broadway anymore, and it stinks.
    It's so damn expensive that it's tough to get a show bankrolled unless it's going to have massive Disney-sized appeal.

I can't get any takers on my musical concept loosely based on the life of David Koresh.
    Stick to your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Didn't even write his own songs. I guess one needs to first set the criteria that defines an artist.
    If a performer must write his own songs to be called an "artist" then that eliminates Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby and most mainstream pop singers prior to 1960 or so. For that matter, if a performer must be able to sing to be called an artist that eliminates Bob Dylan, who was multi-talented but a good singing voice was not one of those talents. Further, if a performer must write his own songs to be an "artist" then should not a performer also be required to play all the instruments which accompany him on his recordings if he is to be called an artist?
    Patsy Cline didn't write most, if any, of her songs. She didn't play the instruments featured on her songs. Patsy Cline could sing though and she was an artist.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    If a performer must write his own songs to be called an "artist" then that eliminates Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby and most mainstream pop singers prior to 1960 or so. For that matter, if a performer must be able to sing to be called an artist that eliminates Bob Dylan, who was multi-talented but a good singing voice was not one of those talents. Further, if a performer must write his own songs to be an "artist" then should not a performer also be required to play all the instruments which accompany him on his recordings if he is to be called an artist?
    Patsy Cline didn't write most, if any, of her songs. She didn't play the instruments featured on her songs. Patsy Cline could sing though and she was an artist.
    I love getting people worked up about this argument. The perception is that songwriters have to work at what they do, but singers just have natural talent. But actually, a lot of great songwriters are very lazy and they'll flat out tell you that their best stuff just "came to them," while singers have to do a lot to prepare/maintain/improve their voices.

I actually wish that some singers would give up writing their own stuff and provide the people who know how to do it well with jobs. (Kelly Clarkson comes to mind). The problem is that even with the downturn in the music injury the shrewd singers know that there's $$$ to be had in publishing. It's too bad, it used to be that moderately good songwriters could show up in Nashville and New York City and get good paying jobs at publishing houses without having to get totally lightning-in-a-bottle lucky.
    Stick to your guns.

fwiw, I think Dylan's singing has always sounded pretty much the way he wanted it to. The way he's chosen to present his songs is as much a part of who he is and what he does as his songwriting. It's hard to imagine songs such as 'Stuck in Mobile' or 'Tangled up in Blue' having the same oomph if they had been sung in a more traditional manner.

my top 5 by genre bc its impossible to compare jimi hendrix to elton john to nas. yes I know dylans not on the list. no that doesnt mean im incapable of grasping the depth of his music. Still think he may be the most overrated guy by a long ways, even thigh that doesn't mean I'm saying he sucks
    pop
    beatles
    mjackson
    elton john
    alicia keys
    madonna

rock
    jimi hendrix
    rolling stones
    led zeppelin
    nirvana
    clapton

rap/hip hop
    nas
    2pac
    biggie
    eminem
    lupe fiasco
    Last edited by ervinsm84; 08-27-2011 at 11:17 PM.
    Newsflash!

Joey Votto does not care about RBI.

NEITHER SHOULD ANY OF US

TOTO
    JUDAS PRIEST
    SAGA
    GARY MOORE
    MICHAEL SCHENKER GROUP
    UFO
    ASIA with john payne
    STEVE STEVENS
    CHEAP TRICK
    AC/DC

Nerdvana Annihilation

Garth Brooks
    Garth Brooks
    Garth Brooks
    Garth Brooks
    Garth Brooks

and yes.. I am joking.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by code View Post
    Garth Brooks
    Garth Brooks
    Garth Brooks
    Garth Brooks
    Garth Brooks

and yes.. I am joking.
    What about Chris Gaines?
    2013 Record at games attended: 0-1

Turn Off Ads?