Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What should the Reds strategy be?

What should the Reds strategy be?

I know it's not over yet but it's really really close.I don't think the Reds can afford to throw games right now but it's also not like they need to win every game at all cost.Heres a few rules I'd prefer to see the team follow from here on out.

1.No starter should throw more then 100 pitches in any start for any reason unless it is someone not likely to be on the post season roster getting a spot start.

2.Cordero, Masset and Chapman shouldn't be used in more then 2 games in a row and should go no more then 1 inning.Rhodes shouldn't pitch until he can walk again.I really would like to see him get a couple weeks off right now.

3.Rolen,Phillips and Votto sit as much as possible.Once a week for the guys that aren't hurting.Phillips should sit until his hand is completely healed or until he needs to get back to be sharp for the playoffs.

Expanded rosters should make all these things possible and still give the team a very good shot at winning every game imo.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What should the Reds strategy be?

i was very very unhappy to see Chapman in the game tonight after pitching Thursday & Friday. unless it is a 'must win' kind of game i jthink this is poor judgement.

i like your rules a lot. time to rest some key guys & try to get healthy for October.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    i was very very unhappy to see Chapman in the game tonight after pitching Thursday & Friday. unless it is a 'must win' kind of game i jthink this is poor judgement.

i like your rules a lot. time to rest some key guys & try to get healthy for October.
    Chapman showing up in tonights game was the main reason I started the thread.I didn't want to make a huge deal about it but I do think decisions like that should stop now.No need to push guys that are going to be counted on in the playoffs when we have a ton of capable guys sitting on the bench.

I agree. With Dusty and Walt being playoff veterans, I would assume they would be on a similar page. I posted this in another thread but here's my lineup for Sunday's game. And no Masset or Chapman allowed either...

Valaiaka - 4
    Heisey - 7
    Alonso - 3
    Francisco - 5
    Stubbs - 8
    Cairo - 9
    Janish - 6
    Miller - 2
    Cueto - 1
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

The division hasn't been won yet, so I think for right now, the strategy should be to win games. Don't take the foot off the gas pedal until The Cardinals are 100% eliminated, and not a day before.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    The division hasn't been won yet, so I think for right now, the strategy should be to win games. Don't take the foot off the gas pedal until The Cardinals are 100% eliminated, and not a day before.
    That's my exact thought. On the contrary, get the division wrapped up then there might be a time to get some guys rest before the playoffs.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

There's also the battle for the best record in the league, which could be very benficial if the Reds make the playoffs.
    I would definitely be careful, but I wouldn't make any any hard fast rules.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    There's also the battle for the best record in the league, which could be very benficial if the Reds make the playoffs.
    Excellent point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    I know it's not over yet but it's really really close.I don't think the Reds can afford to throw games right now but it's also not like they need to win every game at all cost.Heres a few rules I'd prefer to see the team follow from here on out.

1.No starter should throw more then 100 pitches in any start for any reason unless it is someone not likely to be on the post season roster getting a spot start.

2.Cordero, Masset and Chapman shouldn't be used in more then 2 games in a row and should go no more then 1 inning.Rhodes shouldn't pitch until he can walk again.I really would like to see him get a couple weeks off right now.

3.Rolen,Phillips and Votto sit as much as possible.Once a week for the guys that aren't hurting.Phillips should sit until his hand is completely healed or until he needs to get back to be sharp for the playoffs.

Expanded rosters should make all these things possible and still give the team a very good shot at winning every game imo.
    You know what's weird? I had the same thing Rhodes has. And I had it real bad. I received lots of cortisone shots, shoe inserts, etc. Then my doc tried a new treatment, cryogenics. It's a surgical procedure that took about 30 minutes, and I walked out of the office. My feet were normal in 3 days. Anyone who has had plantar's fasciitis knows it is extremely painful. It made me miserable for about a year.

They need to not do anything different than what they're doing. When teams start getting out of their normal patterns is when bad things start to happen. Just keep doing what you're doing. Don't change it up.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Get upset about Chap pitching 3 days in a row? Nah.

There's only one strategy in baseball. Win every day.

"So Fla Red"

Keep CoCo from pitching the ninth?

Too early for this. Cards are only six back in the loss column, the Reds are a mash unit and the pen is becoming a mess again.

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    Keep CoCo from pitching the ninth?

Too early for this. Cards are only six back in the loss column, the Reds are a mash unit and the pen is becoming a mess again.
    Exactly. This season is a long way from being over. This thing is still going to go to the wire. Today's game is a disaster.

It seems as if every single time someone posts a thread on this forum that assumes we're making the playoffs, something like this happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Turn Off Ads?