Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2010, Week 1- Bengals @ Patriots, "Opening Day of NFL 2010"

Re: 2010, Week 1- Bengals @ Patriots, "Opening Day of NFL 2010"

Game over. What's with the defense?
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

2. Turn Off Ads?

38-17

Going to be a long season if the defense can't rush the passer even when the other team is missing starters on the O-Line.

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    Game over. What's with the defense?
    Good question. The offense has shown some flashes today. I don't worry about them despite the slow start.

But this defense is getting gashed.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

D is a concern. Was concerned about them in the preseason as well. Zimmer will need to study some tape this week. I would start moving Dunlap and Atkins into the rotation to get some speed on D. Look at New England they had a lot of speed on Defense with players flying to the ball. Bengals were more read and react today.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Final is 38-24 but for some reason this loss doesn't suck as much as in the past.
    I just hope the Bengals can build on what the offense did in the 2nd half.

It seems like the defense was in the incorrect scheme all game long. Strange from Zimmer. The Patriots are good on offense, but the Bengals took the Patriots pre-existing advantages and exacerbated them.

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513 View Post
    Final is 38-24 but for some reason this loss doesn't suck as much as in the past.
    I just hope the Bengals can build on what the offense did in the 2nd half.
    Difference in the score was a pick 6 and kick return TD, so stop doing that, and they should be fine.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Last time the Bengals had a pass rush was Coy Bacon and Gary Burley in 1976. Eddie Edwards has been the only semblance of a pass rushing DE since that time.

Robert Geathers has "James Francis disease" ...nice talent...has a good year to get a contract and then blows. Reinard Wilson had it too.

OL blows...as expected. They really thought they would be OK with this line? Awesome!

Bengals looked better in the 2nd half once they figured out that running the ball when you have TO, Ocho, Ship, and Gresh at your disposal is a waste of downs.

What we had today we've seen way too many times. How often have we seen an Opening Day where our opponent is much more prepared than our Bengals? The only year in recent memory that the Bengals looked like they were ready to start the year was 2006.

The Patriots were ready to go and the Bengals were not up to speed. Marvin did not have our guys ready to play. Last year we were not ready to play either. We struggled at home vs another struggling team and only scored once.

This game is also example #1 of our tough 2010 schedule. Not only is starting at Foxborough extremely tough, so is catching them at the beginning of the year. By the 2nd half I doubt these Patriots will look so sharp as injuries and whatnot will take their toll on this team with many veterans 30 and over. It was a bad draw. Well coached team vs our ill coached team. I would have much rather started with Atl at home or TB on the road. Traditionally the Bengals have never looked up to speed on day one

I didn't expect to open with a win at Foxboro, but I also didn't expect to start out down 31-3 after the second half kickoff. There's no excuse for being that ill-prepared. We looked much better in the second half, particularly in the third quarter. But I don't know how much of that was the Bengals making adjustments and cranking it up a notch, and how much of it was the Patriots taking their foot off the throttle and/or easing up intensity-wise.

The key game early is against the Ravens. That game will be the difference in us starting out 4-1 or 3-2. Anything less than a 3-2 start, with our remaining schedule, we'll be in trouble. So whatever caused the Bengals to start the way they did today, better be fixed by next week.

There isn't a more simple game than football. Protect your Qb and get to the opposing Qb and you will most likely win.

Teams like the Colts/Patriots/Saints have figured out how to do this. It's the only way to consistently win. 3rd downs are impossible to stop because of this and are impossible to obtain because of this.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

I see two major problems with the Bengals this season.

1. Marvin Lewis. I am a Marvin fan but the Bengals are known to throw in a stinker in there more often than not. They come out at times lacking focus, lacking motivation, and playing an emotionless game of football. Marvin is the primary one to blame because this is his team, his players. You have to get them motivated to play.

2. Carson Palmer. All preseason long we heard about the weapons Carson would have this year. In game #1 he mustered 3 first half points playing with 2 future HOF WR's against a defense starting a rookie CB and a second year CB. Another pick 6 to put the game out of reach. He finally started to look good once the game was well out of hand. If the Bengals are going to do anything this season its going to rest on Carson's shoulders. He can't come out and play an awful first half while the other team is lighting it up.

All and all it wasn't all together bad. The team came out and played better in the second half. Thye showed some fight when they could have packed it in. But in reality all it counts for is one loss in a 16 game season.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

1. Defense sucked, period. I was expecting more. Pats walked down the field anytime they wanted to in the first half.

2. Big play killed us. INT return and Kickoff return.

3. I do see potential with this offense. I'm still questioning Palmer though. Just seems to lack that big play capability.

I thought Palmer played well going 34-50 for 345 with 2 TD's. The pick six hurt but it shouldn't diminish a good day from him. What hurt was Brat's play calling the first few series. You got weapons on this team use them and open up the offense. He's like a guy with a sports car who is afraid to go too fast. Open it up in week two and go with the no huddle for the rest of the season.

Zimmer needs to go back to the drawing board. I would hate to be a member of that D this week because he is going to be all over those guys for poor play and blown assignments.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Turn Off Ads?